Allowing for breastfeeding in calorie allowance?

Options
YellowCanary123
YellowCanary123 Posts: 4
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Hi All,
I've been dieting for 10 weeks since having my second baby and lost a total of 34lbs. I still have about 28lbs to go and have only just joined MFP as I needed some extra support to keep going. My calorie allowance is currently 1220 but I am slightly concerned that this does not allow for breastfeeding a young baby. Should I be increasing my calorie intake or is there a place on here I can calculate for the breastfeeding?
Thanks!
A x

Replies

• neskapolita1978
    neskapolita1978 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    That's not enough for you much less breastfeeding a baby. I doubt you're getting much sleep these days so eating so little is going to make you feel horrible. You need to talk to your doctor or a nutritional professional pronto in order to get you on a plan that is healthy for you and your baby.
  • YellowCanary123
    Options
    Thanks, when I spoke to hv it was her who recommended joining here. she told me my body will always prioritise making breastmilk so as long as I felt ok and supply didn't drop I was ok. Prior to joining mfp I was working on 1750 calories a day which was going really well... may stick to that,
  • SlenderProspect
    Options
    I just learned that if you go into your Food Log and type in Breastfeeding, it will deduct 500 cals so that you will be more aware to eat those cals back. If your baby is older you can have it deduct less. I think I saw entries for 400, 300, 200 cal deductions. Make sure it's deducting and not adding though. I noticed there's one of there with an error and tries to add 50 cals.
  • YellowCanary123
    Options
    Thank you - that worked perfectly!
  • SlenderProspect
    Options
    your welcome :)
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    YES... Add Breastfeeding in as an exercise for 500 calories..... unless you pump- then it is 20 calories an ounce.
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Hi All,
    I've been dieting for 10 weeks since having my second baby and lost a total of 34lbs. I still have about 28lbs to go and have only just joined MFP as I needed some extra support to keep going. My calorie allowance is currently 1220 but I am slightly concerned that this does not allow for breastfeeding a young baby. Should I be increasing my calorie intake or is there a place on here I can calculate for the breastfeeding?
    Thanks!
    A x

Up your calories to something more reasonable. 1200 is far too low for a breastfeeding woman
  • lisamarie1780
    lisamarie1780 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks, when I spoke to hv it was her who recommended joining here. she told me my body will always prioritise making breastmilk so as long as I felt ok and supply didn't drop I was ok. Prior to joining mfp I was working on 1750 calories a day which was going really well... may stick to that,

that sounds like a better number.... I would aim for 1700-1900. I would also just manually adjust your calorie goal rather than trying to find the calorie burn for breastfeeding.
  • mandilouwho1
    Options
    This was awesome I'm so glad you shared this!
  • kel82885
    kel82885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm also breastfeeding and I log it as exercise 500 calories as my son is 5 months old and feeds a lot.
    I try to eat around 1800 calories a day as I don't want to affect my supply.
  • SassyDingo
    SassyDingo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How do you work out how many calories to allow for breastfeeding? I just went into my food log to have a look and there's heaps of options.

My baby is 6 months old, wakes three times overnight and fed 5 times during the day. During the day he isn't fed on demand, but I offer first thing in the morning, and then after each nap and then once more before bed. So while he is fed alot during the day, I assume most 6 month olds would have similar intakes?

He is 99% breastfed. Will occasionally eat some solid food, but isn't really interested in it, would rather play with it.
  • Neondragonfly
    Neondragonfly Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm slightly confused....

Which should breastfeeding be recorded on? Food tracker or Exercise tracker?
    My child is 6 weeks old and is exclusively breastfeeding.

I'm not actually on a diet but want to watch my calorie intake so I don't pig out and get any bigger than I am at the moment as I have been doing a lot a binge eating lately. I'm already 18st and do not want to get any bigger than that.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Ciao 4 Now,
    Neon x:bigsmile:
  • kel82885
    kel82885 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have been told that If your baby is 100% breastfeed you can burn up to 500 calories a day. Is does vary depending on how often they feed and how much milk you make. My boy is 5 months:smile: and still feeds every 3 hours and my supply has always been really good so I count the maximum amount
This discussion has been closed.