My job making me gain weight?

Options
I just started a job at a residential school for emotionally disturbed children and adolescents. Four days a week, I have to eat dinner with them (and occasionally lunch or breakfast, too, depending on the hours). The dorm counselors (that's me) are expected to sit and eat the meals with the students. Due to their varied mental/emotional issues, many struggle with eating properly. They may want to eat five bread sticks and no fruits/vegetables/entree, for example. Or, they may want to eat nothing at all.

It is part of my job to model eating the food with them. Even though it's awesome that there are vegetarian meal options provided at every meal, they aren't particularly healthy options. The food so far is mostly bread and cheese-based. For the past two days, because I'm brand new, I have gone with the flow and just eaten the food. When I approached my co-worker mentor about this, she said that I should not eat any food not provided to the kids in front of them. She suggested I just eat the vegetables at dinner and then eat my own food during my half-hour break. The problem is that the break is only half an hour and I work for twelve hours! Yesterday I never even got the break. I'm used to eating 5-6 small meals anyway, not big meals.

I should also mention that a girl who went to my college started the job a year before me and her weight has totally ballooned in the year she's worked so far at the job. I know that could be for a variety of reasons, but I can't help but wonder if the food she's eaten at the school has contributed at all.

TL;DR My job requires that I model eating "healthy," balanced portions of the food available (lots of bread and cheese), including dessert at least 4x/week. I can't bring my own version of healthy food and eat in front of them. What do I do? :frown:

Replies

• Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on the new job :)

Now, you might have multiple options in this case. Watch your portions. Bread and cheese are not what will make you gain weight. Going over your maintenance calories will. I'm pretty sure there are multiple options to choose from on the menu, try to go with what looks balanced.

Or you can eat a little bit with them and eat your actual lunch at your break. You might be used to eating small meals but there is nothing wrong with 2-3 or even 1 bigger meal a day, it's just a matter of getting used to it

Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    just eat small portions at work, and if you have gone over your daily cals then the other days you can eat less to balance out the week if you need to.

half an hour is plenty of time to eat a meal isnt it!?
  • ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    If you're logging your calories to the best of your abilities, then you should know whether or not you will gain weight from the food.

You can pretty much eat whatever you want within your calorie goal limit.

If you're still finding it to be too many calories, hit the gym after work everyday and burn off whatever excess ends up being.

If you set MFP to lose 0lbs a week, you can see what your maintenance calories are, if you eat over that consistently, you will gain weight. However, eating a little bit over your goal calories for a 1lb loss, will only slow your progress, not cause weight gain.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    it doesn't sound like this place is setting a very good example. I would talk to someone in charge of the food. Its not reasonable to MAKE you eat only what they provide if its not healthy.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    This may sound off the wall but eat a couple of baby carrot or pieces of cut fruit on your way to the bathroom when you get bathroom breaks. That will help you from feeling so famished when you do finally get your break and like the others said watch your portions.

I would also try to move more, park further away, etc.
  • oiseau17
    oiseau17 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestions above, look into the HR laws for your state. You should be getting a lot more than one 30 min break in a twelve hour shift!
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's really all about calories in, calories out. So try to log your meals in. Maybe do that on your 1/2 break. And yeah, bread and cheese are heavy in calories, so portion control is important.
  • Nikki_G30
    Nikki_G30 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you with the kids the whole time during your 12 hour shift? If you have some time away from them such as at your computer, bring healthy snacks with you to munch on such as veggies, fruit, apple & peanut butter, hummus, etc. That way you won't be famished when you eat with them and over eat. Also, maybe look into doing a protein shake. Premix it in your own cup so you can drink it without anyone seeing a specific label. I would also try talking to the cook and see if you can get healthier vegetarian options without bread and cheese.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just started a job at a residential school for emotionally disturbed children and adolescents. Four days a week, I have to eat dinner with them (and occasionally lunch or breakfast, too, depending on the hours). The dorm counselors (that's me) are expected to sit and eat the meals with the students. Due to their varied mental/emotional issues, many struggle with eating properly. They may want to eat five bread sticks and no fruits/vegetables/entree, for example. Or, they may want to eat nothing at all.

It is part of my job to model eating the food with them. Even though it's awesome that there are vegetarian meal options provided at every meal, they aren't particularly healthy options. The food so far is mostly bread and cheese-based. For the past two days, because I'm brand new, I have gone with the flow and just eaten the food. When I approached my co-worker mentor about this, she said that I should not eat any food not provided to the kids in front of them. She suggested I just eat the vegetables at dinner and then eat my own food during my half-hour break. The problem is that the break is only half an hour and I work for twelve hours! Yesterday I never even got the break. I'm used to eating 5-6 small meals anyway, not big meals.

I should also mention that a girl who went to my college started the job a year before me and her weight has totally ballooned in the year she's worked so far at the job. I know that could be for a variety of reasons, but I can't help but wonder if the food she's eaten at the school has contributed at all.

TL;DR My job requires that I model eating "healthy," balanced portions of the food available (lots of bread and cheese), including dessert at least 4x/week. I can't bring my own version of healthy food and eat in front of them. What do I do? :frown:

Excess calories make you gain weight, so doesn't really matter if it's tasty bread and cheese or whatever you deem "healthy". So instead of making excuses, make room for these nightly meals and you'll be fine
  • Girlrose
    Girlrose Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You guys gave me some really good ideas; thank you so much! The community here at MFP has been incredible in helping me stay on track with my healthy eating goals. :-D I'm going to bring healthy snacks that I'll keep in my packet or a small bag, which I can just bring with me to the bathroom. I'll eat those on bathroom breaks. I do eat meal replacement smoothies when I can, so I'll see if I can bring one with me to dinner (kids will think it's just water). I'll definitely still eat a small amount of what's being served, too. If I eat the healthy snacks ahead of time, then there won't be danger in my overeating because I'm so famished!

Thanks again, everyone. :flowerforyou: