Gluten Free

Options
Hello everyone!

It has been exactly 5 weeks since I started my Gluten Free diet. Five weeks ago I was feeling so bad that I almost spent some time in the hospital. The doctor advised me to try a Gluten Free diet just to see what happened and sure enough, I feel amazing!

Unfortunately I am also low carb due to my PCOS and Insulin Resistance, so finding foods and recipes are becoming a challenge for me. I'm really staring to get tired of tostadas, salads and gluten free breads.

So what do your gluten free meals look like? If it's not low carb that is fine, I can always figure a way. I'm in desperate need of some delicious inspiration.

Also, I'd really appreciate any Gluten Free friends so I can stalk your diary.

Replies

• Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi! I have been gluten free for almost a year now and it is getting easier and easier. Stalk my diary all you want :smile: I am also dairy free.
    I very rarely eat gluten free bread, gluten free baked goods, etc. If I want a sandwich i wrap it in lettuce. I do like cake and cupcakes and cookies and will bake them from time to time.
    Lots of brown rice, potatoes, sweet potatoes. And I am a huge creature of habit. As you will see on my diary.
    Rice chex and soy milk for breakfast. Weekends are gluten free pancakes (can't help it i LOVE pancakes)
    Salad for lunch or Chipotle
    I eat hot dogs, just no bun.
    I have a good recipe for a smoked sausage bake with asparagus and onions that I will have to find for you also.
  • Runfaster14
    Runfaster14 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, CONGRATS on the weight loss!!!
  • nmiller0813
    Options
    try this place, they send lots and lots of recipes and offer advice on gluten free eating.

glutenfreecooking@aboutguide.com

Hope this helps. I am not gluten free, but I do a LOT less gluten in my life, due to some health issues. I should be gluten free, but it is hard to go that route completely especially since I have so many other food restrictrions.

Hope this helps! And, congratulations on the weight loss!!!
  • AnnaAnafi
    AnnaAnafi Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for almost 3 years (by choice - I don't have celiac disease).
    Breakfast: gluten free oats with peanut butter and banana -or- Egg whites with Spinach -or- a plain greek yogurt smoothie with berries and kale
    Lunch: I'll admit, I eat frozen lunches at work, but only the organic ones with clear, simple ingredients (Helen's kitchen and Amy's organic, primarily). I get the ones with tofu and quinoa. Quinoa has a much lower glycemic index than rice AND has more protein!
    Dinner: Frequently, fish or shrimp (Some lean protein - tofu, beans...) with veggies. Unless my son requests it, I don't make a grain. Veggies/salad have more fiber than rice (in general) but when I do have a grain it is quinoa most of the time.
    I like to grill or bake veggies with olive oil and seasonings. A good, satisfying dish is eggplant or zucchini sliced lengthwise, brushed with some olive oil and seasoned. Sometimes I add goat cheese too and I put that under the broler. You can top that with tomato sauce and it's like a lasagna or eggplant parm without the pasta or breading.

I don't know how you feel about beans, but there's a company called "Better Bean Company" that makes wonderful refried beans, chili and red beans. They are a meal by themselves and they are low fat and gluten-free (not to mention full of fiber and protein). Usually I have them over greens or with quinoa.
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    do you guys know if they sell gluten free oats at regular grocery stores or is it just at places like trader joe's??
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    do you guys know if they sell gluten free oats at regular grocery stores or is it just at places like trader joe's??
    If your store has a gluten free section, you should be able to find it there or ask them to order it. I get Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free oatmeal from my local store
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I sent you a FR. I'm GF and my diary should be open to friends.
    Sometimes my meals are a list of ingredients and other times they are standard approx of meals so if you are curious about what I am actually eating- just ask. :smile: I use calories as a guideline not my gold standard. With gluten free health and nutrition matters more to me than hitting below my daily number.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the paleo sites. They have a ton of gluten free recipes! I like stupideasypaleo.
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    this thread has a lot of good ideas in it, I also posted my favorite: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1082092-gluten-free-and-vegan-recipes
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for the last 3 weeks, and like you, have felt better and better each day.

I have been experimenting with many new things and recipes myself, and am finding the key is to find gluten free spices/sauces. I love all things teryaki or soy sauce, but was distraught because both have gluten. I found GF over the weekend, and am excited to try these. feel free to add me and you can stalk my diary any time.
  • beascmd
    beascmd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Meijer's, krogers and most of the fruit markets in MI carry bob's red mill
  • rfihn
    rfihn Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have been gluten free for the last 3 weeks, and like you, have felt better and better each day.

I have been experimenting with many new things and recipes myself, and am finding the key is to find gluten free spices/sauces. I love all things teryaki or soy sauce, but was distraught because both have gluten. I found GF over the weekend, and am excited to try these. feel free to add me and you can stalk my diary any time.

Gluten free soy sauce is expensive and sometimes difficult to find but La Choy is actually gluten free and is pretty cheap. Its not the same as kikkoman but my gluten free friends who feel deprived without their soy sauce find it is not bad.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Oats are a gluten-free food. Most factories that process oats also process foods that contain gluten (wheat, rye, etc). This can cause cross-contamination with gluten. Oats labeled glute-free were processed in such a way as to guarantee no cross-contamination (usually no gluten processing at the same site). The amount of gluten exposure with cross-contamination is miniscule, and usually only a worry for the extremely gluten sensitive.
  • kimjoan
    kimjoan Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have been GF for a little over a year and the change in my energy and the way I feel as been amazing! I basically cook/eat the way I did before but use GF replacements. For example - I have a great lowcal enchilada recipe and now I use corn instead of flour tortillas. I have always done a ton of lettuce wraps, which is a good thing because most GF bread is just not good. I still eat spaghetting and pasta salad but use GF pasta. Many meals that include a lean protein, starch like brown rice or baked potato and veggie - just like before.

I think that too many times we hear that we have to go gluten free and it means that we have to change everything about the way we but that just isn't so. There are many good sites out there and some have already been shared. FYI - I have a bakery business and the best all around blend I have found is Bob's GF All Purpose Flour. I use it straight across and add a teaspoon of xantham gum (for baking only on the later) for each cup of flour.
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the GF lifestyle! I went GF 2 years ago this November. I will say that this summer I completely fell off the bandwagon and I'm paying for it. My promise to myself is to really work to be mainly (if not completely) GF starting again after Labor day. You've very welcome to friend me and check out my journal at that point. :)

I'm also an avid pinterest user--user name ethompso0105--and I do have gluten free board. I find that pinterest is a great area to find other recipes and ideas. :)
  • ktully93
    ktully93 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    A few websites I always go to for recipes are: comfybelly.com, gracious pantry.com, runningtothekitchen.com, and skinnytaste.com.
    You can find a ton of gluten free, and if not just experiment and alter with almond or coconut flours. I always keep Bob's Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten Free baking flour on hand. It works well in most baked goods as long as you add Xanthum Gum, a little goes a long way.
  • beascmd
    beascmd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's been 16 years for me! I tend to go in waves of eating the same thing. Breakfast may b eggs, almonds, cereal, or fruit. I tend to make extra for dinner and use for lunches. Dinner is portioned but always gf and I eat typical American meals. There are substitutions for everything. If u follow Pinterest there are many ideas there. Honestly, the only thing I miss are decent crackers when I am sick.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Check out some of the paleo sites. They have a ton of gluten free recipes! I like stupideasypaleo.

That was the first thing I've done....

But as far as day to day eating with simple ingredients, I'm struggling. Most recipes include many ingredients and are hard to make for someone working 12 hr days, 6 days a week or are high in carbs.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My family think I am making it up how bad I feel when I eat gluten products. Not allergic, just the clogged bloated lethargic feeling you get. I only realised when I gave up such foods for my weight loss programme. Now when I eat these foods they affect me within minutes. I never realised before as my diet was full of these foods and I have not been without the bloated feeling for many years. I never knew what it was like to not feel that way. Now I feel so much better, but I can't convince the family, it's as if I am some kind of hypochondriac.
    Could some of you please post your experiences with giving up the gluten. it might help me convince them that this is a real issue for me.
    Also any experiences with dairy as I have a feeling I might be reacting slightly to cheese yogurt and larger volumes of milk. Thanks :-)
  • WillowWindow
    WillowWindow Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Adding other things you have to restrict is challenging for people on a gluten-free diet but the good news is that there's a learning curve and once you identify some foods that you like and can eat, then it'll be much easier. I can't have dairy and I also eat vegetarian, so it's essential that I cook if I want tasty and filing foods. You can, of course, make everything at home but that looks like a challenge with your schedule. You might try cooking on the weekend or whenever you get a day off and freezing meal-size portions. I don't eat low-carb but if I did, I would try for a fish, chicken or lean meat portion with a veggie and salad or baked potato, if that's allowed (for a main meal) and a salad with protein and a yummy dressing, boiled eggs and julienned vegs with hummus,or open-faced sandwich on some kind of gluten-free bread ( which is usually better toasted) for lunches. There's a lot of dfference in the Gluten-free breads available and you need to try dfferent ones to see what you like. I like Udi's Ancient Grains bread and Glutino Flax bread ( but toasted only). You can also get GF mixs for cakes and muffins but that might not fit your diet requirements. Be aware that you can cook with garbanzo bean flour and other bean flours as well as almond flour for part of the flours in your recipe and that would raise the protein/ carbs ratio in your baking.

Websites that have a lot of really tasty and well-tested reipes are glutenfreegirl.com and glutenfreegoddess.com. As well those two have introduction sections to living gluten free that you might be interested in.

Glad you are experiencing greater health and good luck going forward.