Yummy soup recipes?

Options
Michielynn222
Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
So I had onion soup for lunch, just from a package and add water- I had over 4000 mg sodium! UGH~ That's like 3 days worth :/

Anywho, I'm looking for low calorie and low sodium soups!

I love soup :) Yummmm

Replies

• _cheryl_
    _cheryl_ Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I make my own butternut squash soup
    butternut squash [roasted]
    onions [roasted/sweated]
    veg stock
    curry powder
    boil
    blitz
    easy :)
  • fitacct
    fitacct Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Health Valley Organic makes yummy low-fat, low-calorie soups. I really enjoy their low-sodium tomato and low-sodium cream of mushroom (which I also use in recipes). Even Campbell's and Progresso now have lines of low-sodium soups and most are tasty.
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I make my own stock to use as a base for homemade soups - I prefer having control over the sodium and fat. Plus, I can make huge batches of it and freeze it.

If you don't want to make your own stock, you can at least buy low sodium stock or broth. I highly recommend homemade soup over canned/packaged soup. It's just a healthier (and better tasting) option.
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I make a tortilla soup that is low cal and very filling. I've never watched the sodium so you'll have to judge that for yourself.

Cook together until softened in a little olive oil: (all of these are diced about the same size)
    1 onion
    1 pepper - any color
    3 stalks celery
    1 cup carrots

Add:
    1 can Rotel Tomatoes - regular
    1 can Rotel tomatoes - Mild
    1 can drained black beans
    2 boxes of chicken broth - you can use low sodium/fat free
    1 can Grabill Chicken (It's a local thing - chicken canned in broth - 13 oz - add broth and all but skim the fat)
    1 cup sweet corn (I used stuff I have fresh frozen)
    3 oz (or 1/2 a small can) of tomato paste

Heat all of this through. You can freeze any leftovers. You can also add heat by using the differing heat levels of Rotel Tomatoes. It's about equal in calories to healthy choice tortilla soup only it has a lot more veggies. I hope you enjoy it. It's one of my favorites!
  • KPopovski23
    KPopovski23 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you been on SkinnyTaste.com? Best soup recipes ever!

I've been on a greens kick, especially kale. Here's my newest favorite recipe: (it calls for turkey sausage, but I prefer hot chicken sausage - brand: Murray's) - (also when I want to be even healthier, I just use water, no broth)

Kale and Potato Soup with Turkey Sausage
    Servings: 6 • Size: 1 2/3 cups • Old Points: 4 pts • Points+: 6
    Calories: 232 • Fat: 4 g • Carb: 31 g • Fiber: 5.5 g • Protein: 19 g • Sugar: 3 g
    Sodium: 647 mg (will vary by brand of broth you use)

Ingredients:

14 oz reduced fat Italian chicken or turkey sausage
    8 cups (1/2 batch) kale, stems removed, leaves shredded
    1 tsp olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    1 medium carrot, sliced
    4 cloves garlic, chopped
    8 cups fat-free reduced-sodium chicken broth
    2 cups water
    3 medium red potatoes, peeled diced into 1/4 inch pieces
    1 pinch dried red pepper flakes
    salt to taste
    1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Boil shredded 2 chicken breasts (3/4 of large pot)
    Add chicken stock cube
    Add tin of creamy sweet corn (take down to a simmer)
    Add tablespoon or 2 of corn starch
    Add 2 egg whites
    Add pepper to taste, add salt to taste.

There you have chicken sweet corn soup, yummy :)

I hope i'm not missing anything or that'd be embarrassing.
  • A_Healthier_Me2013
    A_Healthier_Me2013 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    ^^ bump for future reference :)
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    This one's my favorite; I vary it here and there and use turkey sausage insead of full-fat pork sausage. Turns out wonderfully.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/italian-sausage-soup/
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am not sure of the caloric intake for it, but I make a chicken soup that is super healthy that everyone I know raves about. Packaged and canned soups can pack a lottttt of sodium and not much nutrition, so making from scratch is such a great idea. I don't have a recipe per se, but it is very easy to make. Start by cooking about a pound of chicken, cut into small one inch pieces, in a stock pot/large boiler until it's no longer pink. Breast meat is best as it's lower in fat, but thighs or a whole chicken broken down may give you more flavor. You may need a little oil, no more than a drizzle, to get you started. This is when I add salt and black pepper, not much, just a dash or two of each, to season the chicken. I add in diced onion and celery when it is cooked through and let them sweat. After about five minutes when they've reached that translucent stage, add about six cups of water, bring it to a boil, and add carrots, sliced or baby carrots, and potatoes. You'll probably want to add a little more salt at this stage to help bring the water to a boil, but a teaspoon should suffice, and you can leave it out if you prefer. I usually add it to taste in the end. I usually go with white potatoes or red potatoes, with the skin on. I think the red give it a little more flavor, but you can use whatever you have on hand. Then, just reduce the heat to let it simmer on low until the potatoes and carrots are cooked, about twenty to thirty minutes. For flavor though, rather than amping up the salt, use curry powder (one to two teaspoons), ground mustard (one to two teaspoons), cayenne (just a dash unless you like it really spicy), and rosemary (about a tablespoon unless you prefer to use fresh herbs). You'll get that good homemade flavor of chicken soup without a ton of salt. Plus, the health benefits of the curry and cayenne. After about twenty minutes, test the potatoes with a fork, and if they're soft but still a little stiff, it's done. Then, you can taste the broth to see if you need any additional seasoning. This is usually when I add more curry, cayenne, mustard, or salt if it seems a little lacking. The seasoning gives it enough flavor though that you don't need a lot of salt. Also, you can add other vegetables to this as you like. I sometimes add fresh sweet corn. One pot can last for at least two meals, or you can halve the portion. It usually tastes better to me the next day, and it is amazing when you're sick.
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If available in your area, use Kitchen Basics Unsalted Vegetable, Beef or Chicken Stock as a base. Then add sodium to your taste/as needed.
  • map928
    map928 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Love:heart: that stuff :love: taste great with out all the salt.
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh! These are all great recipes and ideas <3 Thank you all so much! :)
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Here's my instructions with pictures for beef stock. You can start either with raw bones you buy specially or with leftovers from some beef meals. http://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/beef/lazy-oven-beef-stock.html

Chicken stock, turkey stock, ham stock, fish stock, whatever -- all work the same way. I tend to make stock in the oven so I can ignore it. With modern stoves, the oven doesn't take much more energy than the stovetop or a slow cooker and I take advantage of the oven being on by roasting other stuff at the same time like butternut squash, beets, etc. for later use.

Making homemade broth is not only easy but cheap. And, you can get a lot of flavor without all that salt. Even the so-called "low sodium" soups and broths are pretty high and the expensive salt-free soups you can buy online are pretty flavorless.

To have broth/stock makings, start now by saving bones and scraps of beef, chicken, etc. Since it's been summer and not soup season, my freezer has a ham bone, some beef bones, and a couple of bags of cooked and raw chicken bones/necks/gizzards, etc., waiting to turn into stock.

I have a bunch of soup recipes on my hobby cooking blog at http://heidicookssupper.com/blog/category/soup/
  • hlcook
    hlcook Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Aw man, these are great!

I also used to eat the "weight watchers zero point soup" and throw salsa in there ... http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956 But I'm a LOVER of BORSCHT so the cabbage was YUM. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Who Doesn't LOVE soup!

I make large batches of soup and then freeze them in zip lock baggies (put into zip lock, lay flat on a cookie sheet, freeze, then they are easy to stack) in individual portions.

The last time that I made soup, fresh veggies were out of season, so I did use some canned goods here, but this time of year, I use fresh veggies, which cuts the sodium count down even more. But because these are in my diary right now, I will use them so that I can give you the calorie/fat/sodium count.

First Soup:

Tortellini Soup

2 cans of Dice Tomatoes
    2 Cans of Tomato Sauce
    1 Jar of Prego - Light Smart Sauce
    3 Cups of Beef Flavored Stock
    1 lb of Extra Lean Hamburger (I used 96/4)
    1/2 cup of diced onion
    1 package of Rosetto Cheese Tortellini (frozen)
    3 teaspoons of Parsley Flakes
    3 Teaspoons of Minced Garlic
    3 Teaspoons of Oregano
    3 Teaspoons of Sweet Basil Leaf

Brown hamburger with minced garlic and onion; drain. Rinse with water and drain again. In a large pot add all of the ingredients, except the tortellini. Heat to a low boil. Reduce heat and add frozen tortellinii and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes. Soup is done!

Makes 11 servings

With the ingredients that I used, the nutritional info came out as follows per serving:
    209 Calories
    29 Carbs
    3 Fat
    15 Protein
    36 Chol
    762 Sodium
  • hauer01
    Options
    Turkey Noodle Soup

So, when turkey's go on sale (thanksgiving), I buy 3 or 4 of them to cook during the year. When I cook a turkey, I save all of the dark meat for soups and boil the carcuss to make broth. So that being said, here is the recipie, knowing that I already did this stuff:

8 cups of homemade Turkey stock (no salt added)

Put broth in a large pot on high heat. Add, 3 cups of carrots (diced), 1 cup of chopped onions, 2 cups of diced celery and 5 cups of diced broccoli. Cook until all veggies are tender. Add 2 cups of turkey dark meat (diced). When I made this the last time, I didn't look soupy enough, so I added 4 cups of water and 4 tsp of Broth Base and seasoning, chicken flavored. Let soup warm up to a boil again. Once boiling, add two bags of Ronzoni Healthy Harvest whole grain noodles. Boil for 10 minutes.

This made 20 servings.

Per serving:
    Calories: 150
    Fat: 1
    Sodium:66
  • hauer01
    Options
    Ok - now with that same left over turkey, I whipped up a Turkey Veggie Soup (I made this recipe up, but it has become one of my favorites)

Turkey Veggie Soup

Put 6 cups of homemade Turkey Broth in a large pot. Add the Following Veggies: 1 cup of celery, 1 cup cauliflower, i cup of broccoli (all diced). Cook for about 15 minutes. Add 3 cups of forzen peas and carrots. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Add 2 cups of left over dark turkey and two cans of Fat Free Cream of chicken soup. At this time I seasoned it with 1 tbl of each: Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder. Also 1/4 tsp of Salt Free TomatoBasil Garlic and 1/4 tsp of Mediterranean Herb Seasoning.

This made 7 servings:

Per Serving:

Calories: 141
    Fat: 3
    Sodium: 439
  • hauer01
    Options
    Ok - this one takes a bit of work, but I loved my grandmothers old fasioned Bean with Ham soup, so this one is always in my freezer! I love it!

Take 2 bags of Great Norther Beans and soak them overnight in water at room temperature. In the morning I drain those, rinse them and then boil them for 45 minutes to an hour (until they are soft and you can crush one with a fork easily). It's important to get them soft enough now, because once you start adding other ingredients, the will not get any softer.

Once they are soft enough, I drain them and rinse them again. I put them into a crock pot (on low) and add the following:

32 oz of Jennie-O Lean turkey Ham
    2 cups of raw celery (diced)
    1 cup o diced onion
    1 cup of shredded carrots
    3 cans of Low osdium cream of mushroom soup
    1 can of Tomato Sauce
    3 cups of water

Let cook all day (6 to 8 hours). About 1 hour before serving, add 1 cup of vinegar. If it is too thick, add more water, to your liking

Makes 16 servings

Per serving:
    Calories: 252
    Fat: 5
    Sodium: 951

I bit higher in sodium, but sometimes, it is just worth it for the memories.
  • hauer01
    Options
    Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Serves 8:

Calories: 208
    Carbs: 21
    Fat: 6
    Protein:19
    Fiber:3
    Sodium: 450
    Cholesterol: 15

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
    1/2 cup wild rice, uncooked
    1/4 cup onion, chopped
    2 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup (98% Fat free)
    1 (14 ounce) can Fat Free and Low Sodium chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1 cup frozen corn
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 cup half-and-half

Place chicken in 3 1/2- to 4-quart slow cooker. In large bowl, mix wild rice, onions, soup, broth and vegetables; pour over chicken. Cover; cook on Low heat setting 7 to 8 hours. Stir in half-and-half. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 15 to 30 minutes longer or until hot.