First 10K run in November

Options
Hello,

I just thought I'd do a shout-out and ask if anyone else is preparing for their first 10K run this Autumn/Fall? It would also be wonderful if anyone has any advice on my tactics. I tend to read a lot more than I write in the forums, so I hope I'm on the right track!

I'm taking this 10K quite seriously for several reasons. I was a good long-distance runner in school (aged about 10-14) and then gradually lost interest in exercise and sport. I've always been strong and chunky, and of course that mainly turned to fat when I stopped running/swimming/riding/playing football/ruby/netball and discovered alcohol, music, TV and parties instead... Now I'm 25 I still enjoy knocking back as many glasses of wine as I can fit in my diary, but I'm also keen to improve my strength and health, so running is back.

I was running 5K regularly outside about two years ago on a 'short health kick' before my Masters degree sucked me under again and I started rewarded myself with boxsets and biscuits during the long long nights. Since then I've moved house to a slightly dodgy area and so run on a treadmill at the gym (on a 1.5 incline). I'm at the end of Week 3 of ZenLabs Couch to 10K which I'm finding doable but satisfying. I also adore exercise classes and go to at least two a week (combination of cardio/aerobics/stretching/weights). I'm not totally sure what to do in the gym itself with all the machines, but after running I often 'have a go' on the rowing machine or elliptical or bike for about twenty minutes.

I'm running in Richmond Park at the end of November with a super-beautiful friend who is shaped like a gazelle. I'd love to match her pace and not look like a noob who is nowhere near ready to be attempting that distance. I'm definitely strong, I'm just a bit concerned that I might be a bit too heavy to keep up the stamina.

Many thanks, and happy running!

Replies

• Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Never, ever think you are too heavy. Get rid of that thought right now!! If you have been able to run 5k in the past, you will be able to run 10k. The adrenaline from the race will kick in to help you, but just keep steadily increasing your distance on the treadmill and pair that up with shorter, faster interval runs and you'll do great!!

The BIGGEST thing with running (at least in my experience) is the mental side of it. You think you can't do it, so you stop. When in reality, you can. One foot in the front of the other, and slow down your jog before you walk if you feel like you need a break. I'm definitely not an expert as I've only done 2 10km races, but I'm in the midst of training for a 1/2 and the mental side of it has by far been the biggest challenge, and was also my biggest challenge when training for my 10k races

You are going to do great!! :flowerforyou:
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    All shapes and sizes can run, I've completed a couple of half marathons this year and been beaten by several people which to look at you'd think I should beat them (as bad it is because they look bigger) yet they hammer it. Don't talk yourself out of it mentally, you'll do great and I agree the crowd will push you on.

I'm moving up from half marathon (only done 3, started running properly January) to my first full in october now that scares me lol.

Take it steady and you'll kick *kitten*, I expect you'll feel good on the day and hit it out the park. My only tip is enjoy it, don't think about what you're doing just take in the atmosphere and you'll be finished before you know it. I tend to talk to whoever I can when running whether it be spectators or fellow runners just to take my mind off it.

Good luck and never give up :)

'when going through hell, keep going'
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm on the same track as you OP!

Doing a 5k in September and a 10k at the end of October.

I am by NO MEANS an athlete but I KNOW I will be able to do it with practice. The C25k / C210k apps are great, so that's what i am using too.

We can do this!!!! :]
  • Italia2229
    Italia2229 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    First off, I would like to say congrats to you on taking the first step and signing up to do a 10k!!! You are doing more than others that continue to sit on the couch and do nothing at all. Secondly, don't ever say you are too heavy!! I am 5'5", weighed 159lbs and ran my first half marathon in March. Definitely not something I ever thought I would or could do, but did!!! I am training for the Air Force 10K which is coming up on September 14th and then running my second half marathon in March of 2014. I am pretty stoked to know that I can do it, even after thinking I would never be able too. I followed a training plan for my half marathon and have kind of followed one for my 10k. Just work off a training plan and stay positive and you will do fantastic!! Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Tactics are easy. One foot in front of the other as fast as you can for as long as you can. If you need to stop, doesn't matter, but try not to.

And if you're running Richmond Park, don't do the massive hill in the south-west corner!
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    my recommendation would be to watch your pace, especially in the beginning of your race. i just ran my first 10k about three weeks ago. ran the first mile and half chatting with a friend who signed up for the race with me. he's much faster than i am, but i figured since we were talking we weren't going that fast. i was wrong, and i paid for it dearly later in the race. so try not to get caught up in all the excitement and start off too much faster than your normal pace. run it at your own pace. enjoy, have fun, and congratulate yourself on a job well done when it's over! :)
  • 183StGB
    183StGB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first 10k a month from today and I am so excited about it!!

I only started running at the beginning of the month, and I started with the C25k because I never ran before; with the goal of running an official 5k at the end of it. Turns out I actually have pretty good stamina and signed up for the 10k instead. Today was the first time I actually ran 10k :) I'm super pumped, and hope to improve my time a bit till the official race.

So, I don't actually have any smartass advice on how to do it, maybe that I'm going into this not actually trying to race but to finish? And for my preparation runs it helps me when I run to some kind of target - like, reach that point, then turn around and go home. For some reason that puts me into Gump mode, like, 'when I was there, I figured might aswell Keep going'.

But this is coming from a super-beginner noobie - hope you have a good time running still :)
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    I would recommend running outdoors as much as possible, as the treadmill is quite different! Keep at it!!
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You've got plenty of time to train for a 10k, especially if you stick to a program.

I highly recommend doing most of your training runs outdoors--running on the road is much different than running on a treadmill. At a minimum I would do 1 run per week outdoors. You might feel safer running in your neighborhood at a different time of day (early morning vs evening?), or perhaps there's another place near your home or place of work where you would feel comfortable. Find a way!

Your friend may be shaped like a gazelle, but that doesn't mean she runs like one. That said, on race day, I wouldn't plan on running together unless you know your paces are similar, otherwise you're both likely to be unhappy.

Good luck!
  • PaintedAlice
    PaintedAlice Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much everyone! I will try to run outdoors. I guess sometimes, despite my brain telling me I should forget BMI and all that other stuff, as I feel great!- I just baulk a bit as I'm 5'1 and weigh 155lbs... I'd love to see more chunky runners around! But I need to keep telling myself we're all shaped differently and that doesn't have any correlation to fitness or health or well being or how successful I'm going to be in this 10K:smile:
  • whatjesseats
    whatjesseats Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There really is no way of knowing what kind of runner somebody is just by looking at their body type. I'm reminded of this at every race I do, as there are always heavier people who run faster than me, and lighter people who run slower.

Just put in the training now and you'll have a great time on race day!