HELP with punching bag/boxing

Options
When I go to select punching bag/ boxing for my chosen exercise it asks how long I did the exercise, now is it asking how long in (minutes) by default or hours?

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    For logging exercise? It's in minutes. And as long as you're taking reasonable rest between rounds, go for the total time you worked out. Recovery included.
  • brc92
    brc92 Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes for logging the the exercise, my routine is just 3-5min intervals on the bag, fast as I can while still maintaining form. Followed by a couple dash sprints; strength training with my dumbbells, lower weights of course, just enough to get a burn, some jumping jacks, etc. Anything to keep my heart rate going. Been working very well for me, but I have no idea how I'm going to be able to log all this accurately.. Thanks for the help!
  • michellekicks
    Options
    If you're doing all those things, I'd just log "calisthenics" for the duration of your entire workout. Or, you could get a heart rate monitor for a better idea of your actual burn.
  • brc92
    Options
    Yeah that's a good idea, I will look into getting one possibly this weekend, thank you for your help!
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Sorry am not here to help buh would like to use the opportunity to ask how do I log my walk/run intervals. Thanks guys.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    When I go to select punching bag/ boxing for my chosen exercise it asks how long I did the exercise, now is it asking how long in (minutes) by default or hours?

Thanks for the question, I just bought a punch bag, will be buying gloves this weekend, I am looking forward to using it.
  • michellekicks
    Options
    Sorry am not here to help buh would like to use the opportunity to ask how do I log my walk/run intervals. Thanks guys.

If you time your entire walk/run, then use something like mapmyrun or dailymile to map out how far you went, you can get your average speed traveled. Then, in the MFP database, choose either walking, jogging or running at the corresponding average speed. That's what I would do.

So if you walk half the time at 3mph and you run half the time at 5mph, your average speed is 4mph... choose the entry that says "walking 4mph very brisk pace"
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options

You woul take the overall average mph and then find a pace close to that in the data base.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    An HRM is really going to be your only way to log a boxing workout like that. I workout at a boxing gym taking hour classes and my burn can be anywhere from 650 to 1100 depending on the instructor and effort level. (if I am hungover, its on the lower side lol)
  • brc92
    Options
    Thanks for the question, I just bought a punch bag, will be buying gloves this weekend, I am looking forward to using it.
    [/quote]

Make sure to get some good wraps when you buy your gloves as well, if you didn't already know that. I found some Everlast ones with velcro, washer friendly as well, for fairly cheap. No more than $15.