lunches to go

Options
What do you guys take to work for lunches?

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I usually take leftovers or a nice salad... Today it's left over chicken, broccoli and roasted new potatoes. Tomorrow will be a taco salad with left over taco meat from dinner tonight. Yummy!!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking my lunch, because my department goes to lunch with the supervisor several times per week. However, I STILL choose less caloric options, regardless of where we go.

Some examples:

1. If it's a burger place, I'll skip the fries and get a small salad or fruit, and either eat just the meat and fixings or eat half of the burger. 2. I love when we go to diners, because I can usually get a meat/protein and two veggies.
    3. If they serve large portions, as most places do, I cut it all in half and eat only half.
    4. I skip potatoes, bread, and rice when I can, but will sometimes eat those in small portions. I hate filling up on carbs, though, because I'll be hungry again in an hour, so it's wasted calories for me.
    5. I drink water or unsweetened tea. I fill up on veggies (usually green veggies) first, then go to the meat. This seems to help with satiety.
    6. I try to construct my meals as follows:
    a. meat and 2 veggies
    b. meat, a veggie, and a fresh fruit
    c. half of a sandwich, small salad, and a fresh fruit
    d. half of a sandwich and a cup of soup...possibly a fresh fruit, if I have room for the calories.

So, not sure if this helps, but it's how I eat in the real world ;-)
  • lauralgreen
    lauralgreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i've been taking left overs but i'm just not satisfied with my lunch the next day
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I prep baked chicken and roasted veggies and will eat it all cold, if need be.
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I either take a frozen dinner, salad, sandwich, lightly breaded chicken strips..stuff like that
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    I pre-prepare all meals for 2-3 days at a time that way they are all weighed and portioned with clean foods- feel free to food diary creep.... the strategy really makes it easy to stay on track (please note last week was vacation and I did not log much and ate horribly lol)
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Leftovers is a good option. My sister moved in with us and has been making some awesome lunches for me. One thing she does that I absolutely love is combine two flavors of Greek yogurt and then cut up some fresh fruit and mix it all together in a little Tupperware container. Awesome.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Either prep a bunch of lean protein on weekends and back it up with yogurt or some other type of extra protein...you know, because PROTEIN...

....or just grab some leftovers.

I only grab frozen crap if it's, you guessed it, high in protein...which most of it definitely isn't.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    This week I've had a couple of sandwiches, salads with nuts and cheese, and chips and guac. I'll also eat Cheese and crackers with fruit and veggies for lunch sometimes.
  • awtume9
    awtume9 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    This week I have been taking quinoa, grilled chicken and avocado smothered in sriracha with a side of sliced tomato!

ETA: I eat it cold.
    On weeks I don't food prep I usually just bring leftovers!
  • smithed812
    smithed812 Posts: 289
    Options
    I find that I can take pretty much anything I want as long as I prep it the night before. That's been a big time saver for me.

I take a lot of salads, soup, and rice-based dishes (black beans and rice, broccoli with rice - and some shredded chicken thrown in).

I make big batches of shredded chicken so I have it ready at all times. I also like making crockpot meals that I can divide into plastic containers for easy grab and go lunches during the week.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Buy giant-*kitten* bag of frozen chicken on Friday. Go home, have a few drinks. Remember to take chicken out of the car and put it in the fridge to thaw. Thaw chicken. Place in crockpot with salsa/sauce of some kind. Have a beer. Forget about it for a couple of hours. Go "Crap, need to stir the chicken." Go to stir the chicken, but get distracted (probably by beer). Hour later, manage to finally stir the chicken. Have another beer. Forget about the chicken again. Bleary eyed at bedtime remember the chicken, clumsily divide it up into leftover containers to bring to work, making a big mess that you don't clean up. Reward self with another beer.

Forget chicken in fridge on way to work the next day.

(Certain of the above steps can be omitted)
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Homemade chicken or tuna salad wraps.

Hard-boiled eggs.

Leftovers from a huge crockpot of < insert crockpot-friendly dish here > cooked every Sun.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options