OK... Don't Laugh Too Hard At Me- But...

Options
Something in my head is just not clicking.
My daily caloric goal is 1500. My daily (personal, not on MFP goal) is to burn 500 of those.
In doing so I thought I was doing well- putting my best foot forward and all that.
Now I am reading but not computing this; I need to burn 1500 or more of those calories in order to REALLY lose weight..?
Is that correct? That seems nuts to me. I went for a 3 hour hike once and burned over 2,000.....
But I can't go for a 3 hour hike every day.
I suppose I am just double checking to see if that whole 'burn everything you eat and more' comments are true.
Is that what they consider the deficit? ... You can laugh, but seriously. I'm such a n00b.

Replies

• SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I'm sure someone will post a link to the TDEE thread here, but let me just say that if your goal is 1500 cals and you burn 500, you should probably be eating close to 2000 total for the day (netting 1500).
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    You burn calories just breathing and doing every day activities. You do not want to burn everything you eat because then you will be starving. You will lose weight just eating 1500 calories, not even exercising. The exercising is going to help you lose faster and tone up, but you do not need to burn 1500 a day.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Here you go. This link will help you understand all these numbers. Good luck.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    Your body needs calories in order to function. So, your goal of net 1000 calories/day is really low. You need to burn more calories than you take in in order to lose weight, but keep in mind that that's not ALL exercise. For example, my daily goal is 1600 calories. That's 1600 calories if I do nothing all day long. Any exercise calories are "extra" that I can choose to eat (like taking a walk because I want ice cream), or I can choose to bank. But, my body needs the 1600 calories so that all my vital organs continue to work properly, and I can move around and do stuff. Does this help?
  • CassieLeigh86
    CassieLeigh86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    No, eating at a deficit means that you are eating less calories than what your body is burning through both exercise AND simply being alive every day...you don't even need to exercise at all to eat at a deficit.

ETA: yea, what everybody else said :smile:
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Looks like this is pretty well covered. Just here to say, don't forget to add bacon into your diet. It makes your soul smile.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I think you misunderstood. Someone probably was saying to eat back your calories, but what they meant was EXERCISE calories. So, if your calorie goal for the day is 1500 and you burn 500...they are saying to eat the 500 calories you burned.

I am not saying this is right or wrong, just explaining what is meant.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    No no no no no no no no no. No.

If your target is 1500, eat those. Then, if you burn 500 more, eat those too.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Looks like this is pretty well covered. Just here to say, don't forget to add bacon into your diet. It makes your soul smile.

:flowerforyou:
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options

QFT
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Awesome. I can start eating more.
    This is the best news ever! lol
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    www.iifym.com
  • unapologetically_crystal
    Options
    Something in my head is just not clicking.
    My daily caloric goal is 1500. My daily (personal, not on MFP goal) is to burn 500 of those.
    In doing so I thought I was doing well- putting my best foot forward and all that.
    Now I am reading but not computing this; I need to burn 1500 or more of those calories in order to REALLY lose weight..?
    Is that correct? That seems nuts to me. I went for a 3 hour hike once and burned over 2,000.....
    But I can't go for a 3 hour hike every day.
    I suppose I am just double checking to see if that whole 'burn everything you eat and more' comments are true.
    Is that what they consider the deficit? ... You can laugh, but seriously. I'm such a n00b.

okay the reason you think you need to burn 1500 MORE is because that equals a pound (i think its 3500cals) ? right? you need to burn that much in a WEEK. if you are using MFP calorie count the deficit of 500 is already there. so you are supposed to eat back exercise calories. so then you would be eating 2000 calories a day.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options

True story. A tablespoon or two of even simply bacon bits in an egg and veggie scramble is an excellent way to start a day.
  • FizikallyFit
    FizikallyFit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bumping for the info =)