Spin Bikes do they work for weight loss?

Options
I have lost quite a bit through diet and a little exercise. I am looking to ramp up my weight loss and I am considering starting a spin class. Any thoughts?

Replies

• biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was in awesome shape when I was going to spinning! I initally started became I made my knee angry running too much and then found that I loved spinning! When I was finally able to go back to running, I was MUCH faster with less effort! I totally recommend it. But I'm sure it'll depend a lot on the teacher. Either way, try it out! :) I'm trying to kick myself in the butt to go back too!
  • ebjr
    ebjr Posts: 7
    Options
    Short answer is YES!
    Spin Class was what got me through my plateau a couple years ago. I still use it but only on occassions as i'm currently hooked on TRX.
    I recommend you take it easy at first and find your own rythem. The class can be very intense for starters.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I wear a heart rate monitor and burn approximately 400 - 450 calories per 45 minute class. If you decide to take a class, see the instructor beforehand and ask him or her to show you how to adjust the bike properly - it makes the ride so much more comfortable and will reduce the risk of injury.
  • JJMcCreary
    Options
    I love spinning! Over a year ago- I did spin classes 3-4 days a week, an hour each time and lost 50 lbs in 6 months or less. I didn't even change my diet (much). Spin is hard, the first, second and maybe even the 3rd time you'll HATE it... push through it. You'll be amazed at how empowered you feel and accomplished. It is my most favorite exercise. Burn 800-1000 calories in a spin! DO IT!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Weight loss depends on how you eat. If you spin for 3 hours a day and eat a a calorie surplus, you'll gain weight. If you spin for 0 hours a day and eat at a deficit you'll lose weight.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I can lose weight using a pencil if i do it right. Anything exercise equipment works if you stick to it.
  • FAVORED1
    FAVORED1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! Spin is my FRIEND.... ;0). Great Low impact cardio workout-- you'll burn tons of calories in such a short amount of time (45mins).
  • biddysaurus
    biddysaurus Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way, your butt will hurt from the seat! But it goes away! Just stick with it.
  • cyn196890
    cyn196890 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i have just started doing spin and love it .. but yes u get 1 numb butt hahaha ...
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Yes. Spin class or any areobic class for that matter like kickboxing, zumba, step, etc will are high calorie burners, and will help get those pounds off, mix them up with lifting or something like a body pump class and you will be doing great.
  • JulesC5
    JulesC5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes they do! Great for getting rid of tummy fat AND they give you shape and definition to your body, I had no bum (it merged into my thighs) and now I do!! :D Yes, you will get a numb bum, and yes it will hurt the next time you get on a bike, try getting a gel seat (about a tenner from Halfords or a bike shop) which will help or once you're up to it get some padded trousers.

There are also many different types of spinning classes, RPM, schwinn, freestyle, so see what your local gym offers and see which one you like the best.

But like with all exercise and I cannot stress this enough, cross train, cross train, cross train! A bit of body pump or CX and an exercise class like combat or body attack, or a round in the gym - that way you will be tackling all parts and pushing your endurance and fitness levels.

Don't forget a towel and water bottle and ENJOY!