Not Fitness related: 6 year old motor tics - any one else?

Options
All- just looking for some advice or support. My son has had scrunching of the the (right side) face and (right eye) blinking for months. It doesn't happen every minute of the day, just on & off - but enough to notice it. I have taken him to the pediatrician, optomitrist, and allergy dr. No one can figure it out. Our next step is a neurologist but I am looking for other parents who may have a child that has a "tic", specificall a motor tic like I described.

I know that tourette's is what everyone thinks when it comes to "tics" but from what I have been told it could be nervousness, anxiety or other combinations of things. He is a very smart kid, active, plays well w/others, plenty of eye contact, sensitive, etc...other than the eye/face srunching he is a normal 6 year old boy. No other signs point to any real diagnosis.

I know this website is fitness/health related but it's the only thread based site I am a member of so I figured I'd start here for a little reassurance.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I have several motor tics as a result of my asperger's that manifested around that age. Given the eye contact thing you mentioned though, it doesn't sound like that could be it.
  • F1TCH1K
    F1TCH1K Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have looked in to so many different disorders (for lack of a better word), tourette's, autism, ocd, etc... he doesn't really fit the profile for any of them. I have even looked in to PANDAS because I'm not sure when exactly we noticed the eye blinking but I remember asking his pediatrician about it when we were there being treated for Strep (in which the DR said Strep can present differently in people so it may be how his body reacts to the virus). It's frustrating. I'm scared to continue w/the appointments and such because I don't want him to worry that "he's different" or whatever - I'd like him to feel like what he treats his friends like, he has friends w/no limbs etc...I guess I'm just looking for someone to say "hey, my kid does this and he is fine" - long shot, I know.