How did you prepare/begin your new lifestlye?

Options
13»

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I just started logging. Actually, I think logging without changing anything gives you a good baseline to compare yourself to. It also gives you a sense of where your calories are coming from so you can make better choices.

For me the biggest thing I get out of MFP is that educated me about a few things that I was doing that added up to enough extra calories that I had gained a pound a year for 30 years. Then it was easy to drop those few things and lose weight.

^ I agree with this.

I randomly found this site whilst looking for nice recipes. I started logging that very evening. And I very quickly realised I needed new food in my cupboards. I was able to search through the posts and food dastabase for better alternatives. Its a real eye opener!!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Take before pictures and measurements! A lot of people forget to do this, get discouraged when they can't see results in the mirror and quit. If you take pics you can definitely see changes happening and it will motivate you more.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No preparation. I just decided I was going to start watching/logging what I eat on X day and go from there. 45+ days later and I've just hit 15 lbs lost, my endurance has increased from walking everyday and I feel great. It's pretty easy once you start to get into the habit.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I started my journey on 1/23/13. A co worker went to a ww meeting the day before and was telling us about the points system. she asked if I knew how much I weighted and how tall I was, since I worked a Dr's office I weighted on the scale and it said 240. I liked to have had a heart attack. Started that day eating half of my meals or making smaller ones went to the ww meeting the next Tuesday and I had lost 5 pounds. Did this until about mid Feb. had some chest pain ended up in the hospital and on bp meds. the cardiologist that saw me happened to be the Dr. I worked for husband. she told him that I had already lost 10 pounds. he told me that I had to watch my carbs and fat intake and that if I lost 15-20 more pounds I could wean off the meds. so I sat down at the computer on Feb. 16 and joined mfp. I now have lost a total 48 pounds and off the bp meds.So I guess I jumped in with both feet.
  • NiceSpydr
    NiceSpydr Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I randomly found this thread while looking for information on preparing for a biometric screening.
    I'm not entirely sure what I searched for that brought me to this, but I'm really glad that it did. I found lots of people to have helpful personal insights into their journey.

BUMP!! :)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    When you're ready you will just start. No need for planning... just start logging today and see what happens. You'll make the changes you need to make as you learn the things you need to learn. To be successful with MFP all you need is thick skin and an open mind.
  • mike_usmc
    mike_usmc Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    What I did was, not throw everything away. I made sure I was ready and not doing for any other reasons but myself, health and what makes ME happy. I think once you are doing this for you, it makes it that much easier to set a goal and start up. I didnt throw anything away. Instead I kept it, and ate/drank until the bad stuff was gone. My mind set was, "once all of this is gone, there is no more". Then when it was all gone, I just didnt buy it or put myself around it anymore. I then jumped on the get fit train. Been doing this for over a month now. its been great!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I started exercising first and then hen I felt healthier from moving I started to look at and log my calories. It doesn't matter how you start, just start!
  • ellen_kay
    ellen_kay Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just dove in and started. No planning, no picking a day. I just did.
  • ILoveTheBrowns
    ILoveTheBrowns Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    went through a month of saying today was the day...only to be hammering micky dees by noon each day.....finally one day it just stuck......went to store one night bought all healthy stuff and said tomorrow i would do it and for some reason i did.....80 lbs later here i am.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I just decided Monday I'm starting, no excuses. I cut out all the junk and cut down my portions sizes. I started with just walking and built up from there.

I only started logging on MFP back in July when I was down about 35 lbs.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    don't plan, just start logging and try to stay under your calorie limit. You will then see how much you are eating and what you can change in your diet. Don't put off what you can do today.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    no picking a day.
    Picking a day is a terrible idea. People have failed for centuries using the "start day" mentality.

Thursday: I'm starting a whole new lifestyle. I'll get started once the weekend is over. On Monday.
    Monday: Work today was stressful, I'll start my new lifestyle tomorrow.
    Tuesday: I'm tired. Wednesday sounds like a good day to start.
    Wednesday: Lunch with the guys in sales really put me over on the calories, I'll start again tomorrow.
    Thursday: I'm starting a whole new lifestyle. I'll get started once the weekend is over. On Monday.

- - - run endless loop sequence - - -
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    First, I had to be ready. Yes, I've always wanted to lose weight, ever since high school. It's been 13 years since then. But I wasn't ready mentally to REALLY do something about it. My FIL's memorial was in June, and I mentally swore to myself I was going to change my life, no matter how long it took, on the Monday following. That day was June 10th. I jumped right in. I didn't even tell my husband at first what I was planning. I just did it. I made up some meal plans for 2 weeks and I stuck to them. I dropped soda like it's hot and haven't looked back. I immediately started doing 30 day shred. It's still an evolving process for me. I've since dropped 30 day shred and opted for outdoor activities, like walking and hiking. I even throw in some Aqua Zumba on Tuesdays. I don't need to meal plan anymore. I bought a food scale and a heart rate monitor. Everything I've done has helped me greatly. I'm physically and mentally in a much better place than when I started. Of course, reading the forums ALOT helped as well. And lastly, having a good group of people friended also makes things fun.

The process, although it's hard, and maybe sometimes stressful, should be fun. In some aspects, it almost seems easy. You really begin to wonder why you didn't do it earlier, lol. Work hard, stay committed and enjoy the ride.
  • goldiejoe
    goldiejoe Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did a total cleanout of my life.

Did different tasks everyday to prep for my new lifestyle. Like clean/scrub my refrigerator and get rid of all the bad foods in the cabinets.

I made a playlist specifically for working out.

I bought some new workout clothes/shoes

I made a list of reasons on why I should change my lifestyle, and a list why I shouldn't. (Obviously the list to change was much longer and more meaningful)

I began a guided workout program.

I joined a gym

I made a detailed grocery list. and went grocery shopping

It gave me a lot of momentum, and its done nothing but help me change. I am a changed man, and my preparation helped me overcome my addiction to food, and laziness.

:love: Awesome organizational skills. This is exactly how I would have started if I were :glasses: Perfect :glasses:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't. I had no idea what I was in for. In January of 2011 I was 50 pounds overweight and had to stay home from work because of a huge snow storm. I was perusing Facebook while my son watched some TV. I came across a post from my friend from high school saying she had joined MFP and had lost a couple of pounds already tracking her calories. I joined right then and there and logged the food I had already eaten that day. I was surprised to actually meet my calorie goal that day! So that's how I started. On a whim. Fast forward almost 950 days of logging in here, I have been maintaining for almost a year (lowered my calories today for a small cut), had and recovered from brain surgery, started working again after being laid off for 16 months...etc. You can come a long way. Just start TODAY! :smile:
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    First, I got rid of all the junk food that was in the house. Then, I started logging.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I found on a friday afternoon MFP, I set my goal, logged what I have eaten that day, had a small dinner and that was it. It is no other way (from my point of view). I didn't prepare anything that time, I just did it. I didn't throw anything, just controlled me to eat less.

If I would have waited for Saturday morning or Monday morning, I would have never started this journey. I would just postpone it over and over again. But that Friday afternoon I knew that you start the very second you get decided. I knew that I will be unprepared at some point, because you can't always prepare everything. It's the unexpected, the life problems that change all your plans... I have to do this prepared and unprepared, continously to make it work. For me there was no other way.

The preparation started afterwards. I learned in time that preparing meals over the weekend helps me a lot. I upped little by little my workout program. Never had a plan, just made things work along the way.

It may be just crazy... but hey, it works for me. Maybe others function differently.

I didn't get a new lifestyle from start. At the beginning I was eating the same, just smaller portions.