Substituting Greek Yogurt for Sour Cream?

Options
Has anyone tried substituting greek yogurt for sour cream in dishes that require baking?

I have a recipe that is great to bring to potlucks that takes sour cream. I am wondering if I can use greek yogurt to make it a bit more healthy.

If you have tried it, does it change the taste of the dish?

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Hecks ya! ALL the time. Tastes great! If you try it and can taste a difference, try mixing a 1/3 cup sour cream into 2/3 cup greek yogurt.

I love it on any mexican type of recipe and on baked potatoes.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I do all the time as well. Greek Yogurt makes yummy dips too.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Why would I do such a thing?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I do. More protein and a bit runnier so easier to spread.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I do it now and again if I want to slightly up the protein content of a dish. Yogurt makes a great dip mixed with spices or seasonings and can be used in place of sour cream.

I would make a small amount and try it before you make a large dish just to make sure you like the taste. Personally I tend to just use the sour cream in a lot of things as you can buy reduced calorie versions. I do prefer greek yogurt over regular sour cream for things that I want to have a creamier texture.
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options

For more protein less fat with the same flavor, win, win, win.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    the same flavor

nope
  • jmy1975
    jmy1975 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think it actually tastes better since it mixes better. I used in on top of zucchini cakes last week and loved the flavor.
  • bcf7683
    Options
    You can also make a good sauce with it too-

1/2c plain Greek yogurt
    1/2c skim milk
    1/4 reduced fat Parmesan cheese
    1 tsp chopped garlic
    salt & pepper to taste

Mix everything together and put on whatever you want. It's good on roasted cabbage wedges topped with come crumbled bacon
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! love that stuff. Chobani is the way to go IMO. Trader Joes also has a very decent yummy greek yogurt.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the Fage Total 0% as a substitute. It has a creamier consistency than some of the other greek yogurts out there and I find that the taste is the most similar to sour cream. Since switching, I've never regretted it!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

For more protein less fat with the same flavor, win, win, win.

Not the same flavor. Similar sour taste, but not the same.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend the Fage Total 0% as a substitute. It has a creamier consistency than some of the other greek yogurts out there and I find that the taste is the most similar to sour cream. Since switching, I've never regretted it!

The only one that tastes similar is full fat GY, so fat free would not be a good sub
  • bcf7683
    Options

Yup- that's what I use
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    A scoop on a baked potato or a taco salad, and I have a hard time tasting the difference. But in a dip? Terrible.
  • Neeser926
    Neeser926 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have tried it in cold things such as dips (which I liked) but wasn't sure about cooking with it.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    All the time. It's awesome!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've cooked with Greek yogurt, but I prefer to substitute with apple sauce (for a good portion of the oil/butter). It's fewer calories and cooking with GY kills the live cultures, the cultures being the main reason it's touted as healthier. I buy a huge tub of it for my family weekly at the Lebanese grocery store, which is cheaper than regular grocery stores, but it's still too pricey to use for baking if you have other options. GY is tasty on tacos and Chili, imo. I also eat 1/2 cup mixed with cinnamon and a tsp of honey for breakfast daily. It's pretty filling. Labne/kefir cheese is a good cream cheese substitute (although a tad thinner) and it contains the same bacteria that GY does. I used it to make fruit pizza--amazing! More expensive, though... fewer calories.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    I use greek yogurt all of the time to replace sour cream...but haven't tried it for baking. On tacos, fajitas, salads...I love it.