Can you achieve a great body working out all by yourself?

Options
I was wondering if you can achieve a great and fit body working out everyday (or 5/6 days per week) all by yourself. I mean, doing lots of cardio and also strength workouts.

Mine is just a curiosity, because I'm going to join the gym very soon!

Thanks for your attention!

Replies

• jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You can. I am doing it now.

I have a stationary bike for cardio and a bowflex for strength training.
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I would imagine that a majority of people in great shape did it themselves. Trainers are expensive, you can learn everything the good ones teach from the Internet/books, and you can (hopefully) weed out some of the broscience garbage that the bad ones teach.
  • Jsneel
    Jsneel Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes you can! I enjoy doing kickbox by myself! (It's off of YouTube )then u don't have ant excuse either y your not exercising. It is good if you can exercise with someone but if not its still good!( I'm very thankful for the weight loss and motivation)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Never stepped foot in a gym in my life. 55 yrs old, 115 lbs, 19% BF, cyclist, runner, all done at home with diet and exercise.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    I wish I'd skipped the trainer when I first started working out, actually. He was great for helping me get in the HABIT of working out regularly, but beyond that, it was a waste of $200/month or whatever insane fee it cost me. Plus, he gave me a LOT of bad information. I know a lot of trainers aren't that bad, but.... he had me UNDER 1000cal/day(I eat like 1700 now and lose just fine), gave me a lot of form information that I now know is wrong and just plain dangerous (especially with squats/deadlifts).

I was basically paying a bunch of money to have someone stand over me and count out pushups or whatever. BLAH! There are so many great resources out there to get you started, especially here on MFP.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    For sure, I have lost 115 pounds and now run races and duathlons and never set foot in a gym or have a trainer
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Sure you can...if you're motivated enough. Some people feel the need for workout buddies and a trainer to be focused, but the best motivation comes from within yourself!
  • hileeery
    hileeery Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you so much guys! That's really inspiring!
    I should keep going on like this! I was afraid you can achieve a great body only going to the gym! I'm glad to read your opinions!
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You can go to the gym without the assistance of a personal trainer or spotter. Just make use of the equipment that has safety bars to avoid having a barbell falling on you. I just dropped 155lbs on myself last night, the safety bar saved me yet again :)
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! No gym required. I prefer to be out in the fresh air anyway (unless it's over 100 degrees outside, like today :grumble:).
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    So long as you are doing it right, I don't see why not.

But without any feedback, you are less likely to be doing it right than someone working with a PT, knowledgeable friends, or just uploading form videos to websites for feedback.
  • 123tryingtobefree
    Options
    <---- not a day in the gym. Alll by myself and damn proud of it!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    You can once you learn how to perform exercises correctly. I've worked out on my own since I was 24.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Ma1keru
    Ma1keru Posts: 9
    Options
    As a lot of people have already mentioned you can definitely get in great shape training at home however if you plan on training as frequent as 5 times a week make sure you have a good plan and work different muscle groups on each day. Nutrition and rest days are very very important. I would say training 6 days a week would be counter productive.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I've only ever exercised at home using videos or my own routines and I'm doing just fine. Sometimes I doubt myself and wonder if I'm doing the right things or enough of them but I'm seeing results slowly.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    Here's a great ebook that has a section towards the end on setting up a rudimentary home gym, plus strength exercises. Only thing you really need to get is a sandbag.

http://brainoverbrawn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/brainoverbrawn.pdf
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Nope, you really have to pay for a gym membership. Even if you don't use it. That's the only way to get a great body.
  • nuttyduffy
    nuttyduffy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Yes you can, haven't set foot in a gym and work hard @ home all by myself & I'm proud of what I've achieved & I haven't finished yet :happy: