I'm sitting at the checkout

Options
and I'm almost in tears.... because I'm about to order online a sweater I've wanted for a long time. I'm debating on getting an XL, or a 1XL, the current size I wear is XL, but it's tight, and I feel crappy.

I sit here and say yes I'm doing good Ive lost 9lbs in the right direction I"m going to be able to wear it and not feel self conscious..... I've been here so many times, you would think I'd learn, that "no" I haven't lost the weight.

I want that sweater.

:sad:

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Buy it in the smaller size and use it for motivation?

I've bought some clothes recently that are a size smaller. I don't fit into them yet. But I will. I'm determined.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Do you want to wear the sweater for a month, and then have it too big?

I spent $250 on clothing in March and now I can't wear most of it because it's too big, WAY too big. In a year I've gone from a 1-2X to a Medium, and size 16-18 pant to a 10.

Buy it in the smaller size, as long as it will motivate you to keep losing!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    THIS!

Make today the day you refuse to 'accept' your current weight. Use that awesome sewater for motivation!
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Don't buy anything! Shelf your credit card until you've had a major loss and then reward yourself with new clothes. As I often say to myself, "I'm not going to reward my ****ty body."
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    Get the smaller size. I bought some new clothes on Amazon. They are quite snug on me, especially the jeans. But, I hung them up in my closet so I can see them everyday. They are my "goal" clothes.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm - I have the opposite opinion of the others. I'd buy the sweater in the correct size - wearing clothes you look great in will make you feel better and be motivating to keep on track. I know when I look like a dumpy stuffed sausage it doesn't make me feel very good, but when I wear clothes in the proper size I look and feel better. I wouldn't punish yourself by purchasing a sweater that doesn't fit.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I bought 2 pair of size 8 pants back in July (60% off sale) thinking I would be able to wear them by fall. I'm wearing them now. If you are focused and determined, buy the sweater in a smaller size and use it for motivation.
  • Fitnin6280
    Fitnin6280 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I purchased a really cute shirt about a year ago. When I got it home, I tried it on and found it was way to small. I refused to go exchange it. So I hung it where I would see it every day, and for almost a year it hung there... finally I decieded to get with the program, and now it totally fits! It is my favorite shirt right now. However, it isn't going to fit me much longer. I think in about a month it will be too big... Bittersweet...
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm - I have the opposite opinion of the others. I'd buy the sweater in the correct size - wearing clothes you look great in will make you feel better and be motivating to keep on track. I know when I look like a dumpy stuffed sausage it doesn't make me feel very good, but when I wear clothes in the proper size I look and feel better. I wouldn't punish yourself by purchasing a sweater that doesn't fit.

I think this is why I'm sitting here so frustrated, a while back I decided my pants were too tight I was miserable, I was tired of just saying I'm not goign to the next size so I bought the next size bigger and I was comfortable for a while and now I can tell that they are getting tight.
    I don't look like a complete idiot in my XL sweaters but gosh darn it I'd like them to hang a little looser!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    I bought 2 pair of size 8 pants back in July (60% off sale) thinking I would be able to wear them by fall. I'm wearing them now. If you are focused and determined, buy the sweater in a smaller size and use it for motivation.
    It makes me question my motivation and dedication BIG time.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I think this is why I'm sitting here so frustrated, a while back I decided my pants were too tight I was miserable, I was tired of just saying I'm not goign to the next size so I bought the next size bigger and I was comfortable for a while and now I can tell that they are getting tight.
    I don't look like a complete idiot in my XL sweaters but gosh darn it I'd like them to hang a little looser!
    Back during the years I was gaining all of my weight, I had that same attitude. Then, I'd cave and buy the next bigger sized pants and they'd feel great, so I'd then become a little more complacent with my weight. Before I knew it, I was wearing a size that I never would have thought I'd ever be in again. Now I feel like that discomfort is just a little reminder not to let it ever get away from me again!
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    I am all for wearing clothes for the body you have now. You look and feel better when you are wearing the size that is right for your body. If it were me, I would buy that one sweater now (because you really want it) in my current size and wait until my size changed to buy more things.
  • MissMollyMN
    Options

I've bought some clothes recently that are a size smaller. I don't fit into them yet. But I will. I'm determined.

That's what I did with my WEDDING DRESS! 57 more days, happy to say it fits now :)
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    but the smaller size. by the time you really need to be wearing a sweater, it will fit. its all about determination!
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    And it's 30% off!!! :heart:

I got this. I can do it. I can't just keep buying bigger. I have to give somewhere and I'm tired of "giving" with my clothes. My turn, I have to give.

OY but it's soooo hard. :sad:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Tough one. I've lost 54 lbs and I can fit in Ls but Ms are too tight, and I don't think they'll ever look good of me because I have a large frame!

But if you buy an XL and lose weight, it will be too big too. I'd buy a L or I'd save my money at this point. I've only bought the strict minimum in clothes so far, and what I've bought will hopefully be too big next Summer. No point wasting money in 'middle weight' clothes.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options
    And it's 30% off!!! :heart:

I got this. I can do it. I can't just keep buying bigger. I have to give somewhere and I'm tired of "giving" with my clothes. My turn, I have to give.

OY but it's soooo hard. :sad:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

It sucks, you may not be ready yet. I'm not saying that to be mean. The truth is you CAN do it. You have to want it. You have to want to do whatever it takes.

Before I got serious, before I lost any weight, I had been watching this dress I loved...it was finally on clearance and the only size left was a 10, which is what I used to be. I bought it. It took a year, I wanted it, I worked hard, I wore it to my friends wedding in May. I have never ever ever felt so amazing as I did at that moment.

Only buy it in the smaller size IF it will motivate you. I will say when I first bought that dress, I bought it for those reasons, however, I still didn't get motivated for a couple more months because I wasn't ready and I had to have my "light-bulb-I'm-sick-of-living-this-way-of-being-this-way" moment.

So if you are not ready, that's fine. Maybe just try small steps until you get to your "light bulb" moment. Start thinking about things you'd want to do to get healthier. Make a list.

It won't happen and it won't be lasting until you are ready and you want it. The thing is, and this is important, you have to believe in yourself, you have to KNOW that you CAN do it. There is no try, there is only do or do not. But again, you can do it...when you are ready.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you buy the larger size...just depending on the material and such...you may later be able to get it altered to fit the smaller you.
  • farmers_daughter
    Options

It sucks, you may not be ready yet. I'm not saying that to be mean. The truth is you CAN do it. You have to want it. You have to want to do whatever it takes.

Before I got serious, before I lost any weight, I had been watching this dress I loved...it was finally on clearance and the only size left was a 10, which is what I used to be. I bought it. It took a year, I wanted it, I worked hard, I wore it to my friends wedding in May. I have never ever ever felt so amazing as I did at that moment.

Only buy it in the smaller size IF it will motivate you. I will say when I first bought that dress, I bought it for those reasons, however, I still didn't get motivated for a couple more months because I wasn't ready and I had to have my "light-bulb-I'm-sick-of-living-this-way-of-being-this-way" moment.

So if you are not ready, that's fine. Maybe just try small steps until you get to your "light bulb" moment. Start thinking about things you'd want to do to get healthier. Make a list.

It won't happen and it won't be lasting until you are ready and you want it. The thing is, and this is important, you have to believe in yourself, you have to KNOW that you CAN do it. There is no try, there is only do or do not. But again, you can do it...when you are ready.
    No not mean at all.... I've had what I thought were many lightbulb moments, I just never carried through with them. This is good. I don't want to alter anything. I need to do this for me. I need to.