body fat -vs- muscle

Options
I weigh 165 / 54yers / 6ft / but I have a Body fat of 15%
I want to cut that in half but maintain my weight approx...
So, my goal is hard to define within this site...
or is it

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    or is it

Why is it?
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Lose fat, gain muscle.

That pretty much makes up about a half of the folk on MFP, so you're not alone.
  • OhFitness
    OhFitness Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You are correct. MFP is not suited for your goal. This site is for the average person who's body fat isn't that good. What I mean by that is 15% body fat for men is the # they try to hit to start seeing their 6 pack abs, and it's 20% for women. Actually that's the main reason why MFP doesn't even request to know your body fat...because it doesn't take that into account when factoring your calorie needs. MFP figures that at this stage, most users don't know their body fat anyway. You'll need to move over to a bodybuilding site or start working with a professional to really fine tune your physique at this point.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    This seems like it would take a long time to do. You would probably have to bulk up a lot to add muscle, probably taking years to get the amount you need. Then lose weight/fat to get to the BF% you seek.

Do what this guy is suggesting. Bulk up slowly. The muscle will make it easier for you to cut in the future. As long as you're gaining more LBM than fat during your bulk your BF% will also slowly go down as well. That's just math.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    or is it

ASsuming your numbers are correct you currently have 24.75 lbs of fat and 140.25 lbs of lean mass.

You would like to get to 165 @ 7.5% body fat which is 12.375 lbs of fat and 152.625 lbs of lean mass.

You can't do this at the same time.....You have two options.

#1 - Cut to 153ish retaining as much lean mass as you can.....and then gain to 165.....honestly you will probably need to gain above 165 because you will add some fat also and then cut back down to 165

#2 - Gain muscle up to approx 180 and then cut fat.

FYI. 12lbs of lean mass is a lot. Good luck.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Not gonna happen
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you need to go on a good bulk my friend, then cut down to that 7% to reveal your fabulous new muscles.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    to answer the thread title:

schwarzenegger-fat-quote.png
  • Carlosleon2005
    Carlosleon2005 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It's possible, doesn't look good, and isn't particularly healthy, but strength training, nutritent partitioning, and more protein, along with strict calorie control can get you there.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    An even exchange in body fat and muscle weight isn't going to happen. To lower your body fat you have to drop weight.
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    It's possible, doesn't look good, and isn't particularly healthy, but strength training, nutritent partitioning, and more protein, along with strict calorie control can get you there.

What exactly doesn't look good and isn't particularly healthy?
  • Jacwhite22
    Options
    An even exchange in body fat and muscle weight isn't going to happen. To lower your body fat you have to drop weight.

I saw on Dr. Oz you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I think he knows better than you.....He's a doctor.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options

I saw on Dr. Oz you can burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I think he knows better than you.....He's a doctor.

Now that's funny, right there.

Lends a new seriousness to "Green eggs and ham".

BTW, Awesome calves, dude.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Cut out all carbs and fat and go on an all protein diet. Except for fruit, fruit is natural.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cut out all carbs and fat and go on an all protein diet. Except for fruit, fruit is natural.

What about Raspberry ketones? You forgot those.
  • glamasjr
    glamasjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Look, it all depends on your diet. And contrary to what people say, MFP will help you get to your goals. If you want to drop fat and build and maintain muscle you first change your diet goals. I do 50% protein 30% carbs and 20% fats. You get a good healthy dose of protein to build some good muscle and low carbs to melt off fat. Second, you should do a full body weight training program three times a week with cardio training 2-3 times a week. The reason why you should do full body training over split training is because full body training burns more calories. Good luck
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you'll need a bulk cycle and then a cut cycle. Although I'm not sure if you just REALLY want to maintain that weight so badly. I wonder if you'd actually be satisfied cutting and just seeing where you are.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options

What about Raspberry ketones? You forgot those.

Raspberry is a fruit
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    7.5% body fat is going to be hard work - especially at your age (no offense meant). With your current lean mass it equates to 150ish pounds total weight, which is going to leave you looking pretty scrawny at 6ft.

Then you'd have a slow bulk to get back to 165lb. The bulk is going to put your body fat percentage up, so in reality you'd need to go above that and cut back down.

Personally I think I'd cut to 10%bf - about 155ish pounds for you - then do a cut/bulk cycle at that more manageable level for a while until you build more lean mass. Set BF% start and end points for cut/bulk. e.g. at 12% BF you switch from bulk to cut, and at 10% BF you switch from cut to bulk. As you progress, you can move those points slowly down 11/9 10/8 and finally 9/7 to reach your goal.

It's a long (long) term goal, though. Don't think you'll be walking out of the gym looking like Ryan Reynolds in three months.