Yoga question I know has been asked a million times

Options
Hey yall,

So I know this has been debated on here before, but in the search results I can only seem to find info about hot yoga.

I just did a Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown (level 1), which I oddly find more difficult than level 2! Anyway, MFP only lists calories for yoga and pilates, and both are 94 calories per half hour. That seems off to me if you're talking about a high-intensity yoga session. A more passive, stretching-type session, sure ... but when all your muscles are shaking, your heart's pounding and sweat's running down your face ... I'm not buying it. Not all yoga is created equal and it seems silly that MFP doesn't differentiate. To me it would be like having running as one category with no options for speed.

Anyway, what do you enter for yoga?

Replies

• lauradoingyoga
    lauradoingyoga Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've seen hot yoga listed as high as 500 calories/hour. For me, after going to a vinyasa or power style yoga class lasting 75 minutes, I discount the last 15 minutes due to the shivasana and passive stretching poses and just assume 350 calories/hour. I'm 33 and weigh 130 lbs, if that helps.
  • amandalysak
    amandalysak Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I saw on another site (workingouteatingin) level one as 175 cals burned. Another suggested putting it in as circuit training. Best wishes.
  • adiostrasero
    adiostrasero Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Thanks!