Quinoa vs Cous Cous

Options
dbanks80
dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
I keep seeing so many posts around here about Quinoa and it seems to be healthier. So I bought some today. I loveeeee Cous Cous. Does Quinoa taste like Cous Cous or does it taste better? Or does it taste worse?

I am going to make some tonight/

Replies

• db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Quinoa tastes better and is much healthier. It is also easier to cook than rice, as in it doesn't have as much risk to get either soggy or hard like rice. It also has more fiber than couscous.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Much like couscous, quinoa will taste like what ever you season it with or put in it.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've never had cous cous. But I have made quinoa. It kind of a nutty tasting rice. I don't make it very often but when I do I have to put stuff with it. It's also pretty filling, you don't need much.
  • shirerose
    shirerose Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i don't know. but they are both really fun to say.
  • rachaelgifford
    rachaelgifford Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Is quinoa easy to cook with?
  • db34fit69
    db34fit69 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You can stuff it in peppers with the usual suspect (feta, ground beef, etc)
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I haven't double checked but I think cous cous is equal to quinoa in terms of protein and "healthiness". Check it out. I love the texture of quinoa:). I like it with lentils and cumin and curry powder, some veggies, in soups or salads.
  • ArtemisRuns
    ArtemisRuns Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a whole grain. Cous cous is pasta.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Qunioa is a whole grain, cous cous is more similar to pasta. Quinoa is a 'complete protein' - all nine essential amino acids. Cous cous is not.

So if you're into whole grains and minimal processing, quinoa is 'better'. If you aren't, then there are much cheaper sources of the same nutrients, you just need to mix and match a little.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    I am excited about cooking it tonight. I plan to put sliced almonds and raisins in it.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    cous cous is short for cousin's; unless you are from West Virginia, nevermind, just eat the other stuff it is healthier....
  • SkagitYogini
    SkagitYogini Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i don't know. but they are both really fun to say.

:laugh:
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Quinoa has a completely different texture than couscous and pretty much tastes like whatever you cook it with. As such, if unprepared it will come out very bland.

Additionally, Quinoa must be rinsed rinsed rinsed rinsed as its covered in a toxic substance called Saponin. Even if your Quinoa says prerinsed go ahead and rinse it again before cooking.If you dont this could potentially cause things like stomach pain, diarrhea and symptoms of food poisoning (Learned this one this hard way! Let me tell you my family wasn't happy about it either!).
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Quinoa tastes far worse.
  • BeeMarieG
    BeeMarieG Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is much healthier, but I'll be honest: I don't like the taste at all. I do love couscous, though.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I am excited about cooking it tonight. I plan to put sliced almonds and raisins in it.

Make sure you rinse it well first! Quinoa has a natural coating on it that won't harm you, but it tastes very bitter and kind of soapy. It often comes pre-rinsed, but I still rinse it just in case.

As for which is "better": Couscous is pasta; quinoa is a seed (not a grain) and is probably more nutritious, although don't quote me on that. It certainly has more protein and fiber. It's easy to cook. I like to cook it in a mix of vegetable broth and coconut milk, plus some curry paste to give it a bit of Thai zing and then eat it with stir-fried vegetables. But really, you can use it in the same ways you'd use rice, and it cooks just about the same way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm big quinoa fan...was long before I knew anything about its nutrition. I also like cous cous (especially Israeli)...why not incorporate both into your diet...I know I do.
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Quinoa has a completely different texture than couscous and pretty much tastes like whatever you cook it with. As such, if unprepared it will come out very bland.

Additionally, Quinoa must be rinsed rinsed rinsed rinsed as its covered in a toxic substance called Saponin. Even if your Quinoa says prerinsed go ahead and rinse it again before cooking.If you dont this could potentially cause things like stomach pain, diarrhea and symptoms of food poisoning (Learned this one this hard way! Let me tell you my family wasn't happy about it either!).

OMG!!!! Thanks for that info!!! The box says 'Pre-Washed No Rinsing" but I will be rinsing it.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think quinoa is less starchy but I like couscous better myself (specifically pearl couscous). The texture is fun.
  • TitaniaEcks
    TitaniaEcks Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    ... also quinoa has a sharp nutty flavor and a scratchy texture that hurts the roof of my mouth, so I really have to be in the mood to eat it, but couscous always tastes good.