Horrible eater. Please help:)

Options

Replies

• beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Warrior the f**k up

I was going to say it a different way - but oh my YES! :heart: This is it. Do it or don't.
  • ladyredeemed4
    ladyredeemed4 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Make sure you check with your dr. first to see if you have any underlying problems, such as thyroid or depression.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Don't waste calories on full-sugar pop. Switch it out for water. That's one thing you can do, and it would be a good first step. You need to start making some effort, right?
  • bcovely
    bcovely Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    There are healthy alternatives to most of the issues you're having. "Junk" food for instance... a lot of people have weaknesses with chips. I found Fat Free Pringles... 70 calories for 15 crisps (I usually cut it down to 7). And they taste amazing! It's actually like you're eating a fat greasy chip. For chocolate, there are things called Vitatops that you pop in the microwave (find in the freezer) and they're a bran muffin top. DELICIOUS and full of fiber. So they're good for you! You just have to really research when grocery shopping. It gets a lot easier over time to find things you can eat.

I love muffins......I'll have to try these Vitatops. Thanks so much
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I like the one thing at a time plan: each week pick one healthy habit to follow and one unhealthy habit to go: maybe start with getting your 6-8 glasses of water in and no fast food for a week, next week try adding three servings of veggies a day and only three sodas that week. Little goals make the bigger goal seem less intimidating sometimes! Good luck my friend! :flowerforyou:
  • FitCanuckChick
    FitCanuckChick Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    To the OP -

If you are having issues with certain fast food places, rather than trying to find something healthy there, I think by resisting temptation altogether and not going there in the first place is a better alternative. If you do takeout, make sure to go to "healthy" fast food places. Subway, extreme pita/pita pit, etc. My kids know that "fast food" because we need to eat quick no longer means the burger and fries joints - it means Subway, Pitas - or if we are feeling a little crazy - Quiznos. We treat the burger joints and true treat places. They are not the norm - we maybe go to them every 2-3 months. Not because we don’t eat out ever, because we would much rather go to a quility sit down restaurant once per month then to a burger joint 4 times in a month.

There are several heathy options at those fast food places. But, you need to be very careful - The basic subs/pitas aren't too bad - its all the extras that'll heap on the caleries - even to the point that you are close (or more) in cals to the big mac. For example, I can’t even remember the last time I ordered a sub from subway that I put a condoment other than yellow mustard on it. Pickles add lots of flavor. If I am at extreme pita, I watch them like a hawk when they put on the condiment - my fav is tzaziki. I tell them "just a tiny skim" and if they bring up a goop or glob I stop them and say "no - you can take the extra off, I just want a teensy tiny skim - barely anything". They eventually get it. I also usually nix the cheese, or if I want cheese I ask for less meat. Order like Meg Ryan on When Harry Met Sally and you will get there.

I think coming up with reasons that you want to lose weight or make the lifestyle changes is also a key. They can be the wonderful "easy" answers like - I want to be healthy for my kids, I want to live long…but honestly, ego (or even selfish) reasons help too (they help me) - and sometimes you need to dig deeper to find those. For example, I am trying to lose 20 pounds and get very toned up. I have two selfish reasons 1) We are taking 2 beach vacays this winter and I want to have a lean rockin bikini body by that time. 2) I want to get it my most optimal shape so when I begin training for my first full marathon in the spring, I can run my best. Those are selfish me reasons. I have other reasons also (set a good example for my kids, live longer, etc), but when the evil little chip and chocolate monster comes knocking - the first reason not to give in that comes to my head is - YOU ARE WEARING A BIKINI FOR 2 WEEKS STRAIGHT!

Also, treat yourslef on a monetary level also. Every time you make a meal that you would have likely eaten out for - throw $5 in a "new clothes jar". The savings you get by eating at home or making lunches is immense.

Good Luck!

Ps - I have an evil habit that I am "trying" to shake - Diet Pepsi
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi! Hey I'm a person that could sit down with a bag of cheese popcorn and eat half of it before I even realized I opened the bag!! It takes work but you have to experiment and find those foods, healthy or at least a much better alternative to what you eat now, and that satisfy you!! Thats the key, if it doesn't satisfy then you'll go right back to that bag of chips or whatever. And on occassion, treat yourself. Go a month without, and then get that drive thru! Its amazing how fast that time goes. Before you know it you'll be saying "When was that last time I had a burger?" You won't even be able to remember and be so dang proud of yourself! You can do it!!!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I am the worst eater with no will power. I eat junk food quite a bit. Drive throughs at least 3 days a week. I try to eat healthy but can't find anything to satisfy the junk food cravings. And I can't give up pop (or switch to diet, yuck). Any suggestions you've tried that have worked? I know I can't expect to lose the weight with exercise alone....

Don't carry cash, debit, or credit cards with you unless you are going to get groceries or out for a specific purpose and know you'll need them. When you are out for that specific thing, only take cash and only take enough for what you're getting. That way you don't have money to go through a drive through.

Remove the word 'can't' from your vocabulary. If it's important, you'll find a way. If it's not, you'll find an excuse. I saw in another post that you said you drink pop with your meds in the morning to keep from getting sick. Have you talked to your doctor about this? He / she may have some suggestions or may change your meds to something that won't make you sick.

As long as you are in a calorie deficit you can lose weight so if you exercise enough to compensate for the added calories from soda and fast food, you still can lose weight but who wants to work that hard? Some simple changes to your lifestyle will make all the difference. Take it one day at a time, log everything you eat, review it each day and make at least one improvement for the next day. You can do this but it will take some discipline and dedication.
  • cmacphee3
    cmacphee3 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I'm a terrible eater as well and have been struggling with the same 10lbs over and over for the last year. I need some tough love I think. :S
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everyone that eats really "healthily" (although that meaning changes between peeple) and has success in losing weight and reaching their weight/fitness goals have been bad eaters at some point! I mostly eat clean now and love it (with the occasional vegan cake or bubble tea or whatever). You can do it :)

(also I used to be the WORST person when it came to drinking coffee. Literally had an addiction where i'd drink 7/8 Starbucks a day not even lying. Now I only have the odd cup of decaf coffee or tea! If I can quit those milky sugary coffees you can definitely quit your fizzy drinks!)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Here's the honest truth.

You don't have to give up your soda (especially if you're only drinking 1/2 a can a day) and you don't have to give up fast food to lose weight. You don't even have to give it up to eat a balanced diet, but we're not talking about that here.

What you do have to do is set a reasonable calorie goal and stick to it. If you do, you'll find that you either have to be careful what you pick at the fast food places, or you're going to have to eat less for the rest of the day to compensate. Or, you can stop going to fast food places. It's all your choice, and any of the above will work.

Like other posters, I think 1500-1600 per day is a good starting point for you, mostly because I am a bit shorter than you, started out at 143 lbs and lost on avg. 1 lb/wk at 1400-1500.

I'll also mention that it isn't unusual for me to eat 3-4 lunches per week at Taco Bell, Subway, or Burger King because some weeks I'm just not in the mood to pre-make lunch. And some days (like today), I've eaten all of my leftovers and I'm faced with nothing in my fridge or pantry to take. No big deal.

ETA - forgot to mention. The calorie goal is best thought of as a weekly average. It's OK to go over some days and under on others as long as the avg. is on target. That's another way to satisfy a craving and not fall off the wagon - feed your craving, then compensate for the rest of the week. Or, know it's going to happen and do your compensating in advance (this is my method - then I can eat my treat knowing it's all been taken care of already)
  • Renazuki
    Renazuki Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Been there and I know my weakness has always been something sweet. I'm seeing a hypnotherapist to help with the food cravings. It's working. Instead of wanting a candy bar , I'll either have a piece of fruit or a handful of almonds/walnuts or a piece of cheese.
    If that doesn't work for you, try tracking everything ^^ good luck
  • howie4four
    howie4four Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Think about this...that is what you have been telling yourself. I like the line on an earlier post "put down that book".

What if you, today, tell yourself I'm a healthy eater. Then be a healthy eater.

You get the choice to rewrite the story that's running in your head everyday or stay the same. Choose a different outcome today. and again tomorrow and the next day and the next day.......
  • soupandcookies
    soupandcookies Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Maybe it would help to start by making a list of what you are willing to change, and what you are not willing to change. You are not willing to give up Coke, but are your willing to measure out half a cup, and only drink that? Are you willing to make healthier choices when you eat fast food? Are you willing to skip fast food altogether? Are you willing to pre-plan your meals and snacks? What healthy changes are you willing to make? Start there. Make small changes. They add up, and it gets easier, once you're on a roll. You just have to find a place to start.

Making a dramatic change, like dropping to 1000 calories, is bound to backfire and end in fast food binges (or something like that). Commit to getting started, and making a small change, every day. You can do this. It takes work, discipline, and some planning, but it's worth it. Find the willingness, and get started.
  • lindseydavis07
    lindseydavis07 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I am the worst eater with no will power. I eat junk food quite a bit. Drive throughs at least 3 days a week. I try to eat healthy but can't find anything to satisfy the junk food cravings. And I can't give up pop (or switch to diet, yuck). Any suggestions you've tried that have worked? I know I can't expect to lose the weight with exercise alone....

*puts down his book*

This is going to sound mean..

Buck Up, Take Responsibility and Stop Doing It. It's Obvious you aren't stupid. You know what the problem is.. So STOP DOING IT. Choose... Be Unhealthy/Fat or Change you life... Your choice.. You get to choose.

Key is creating good habits, you have to force yourself to have the willpower to start then you can slowly start to create a good habit out of the bad habit..

Sorry to sound mean, I'm just not sugar coating it, sometimes that is what people need.

THIS!!!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I took a peak at your diary and I think your first problem is your calorie goal. 1000 calories a day is neither sustainable nor healthy. Once you have a healthy calorie goal in place, you can work on everything else.

Some things I've found useful for myself- no food is "forbidden." I used to drink 2 liters of coke or pepsi a day, but I haven't had any soda since January- because I haven't wanted it, but I know that if I do want it, I can totally drink it. Somehow this makes it less attractive to me. I also plan in something sweet or "junky" every day. I pre-log so I know it fits in my macros, and I eat it happily. If I want more, I know I can have more- tomorrow.

When you want it enough, you'll find that you can do it, I promise. Good luck!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options

haven't read through any responses, sorry if it repeats :)

First stop telling yourself what you can't do and figure out what you CAN do.

Can you drink 1 drink a week or 1 a day and the rest water?
    Can you try new things at your favorite fast food places that aren't as caloric as your current options?
    Can you at least try one new vegetable dish or eating fruits in a new way or commit to looking up ideas a week?
    Can you use MFP faithfully to learn what you're eating everyday?
    Can you commit to treating yourself a little and counting the calories? I bought a package of chocolate chip cookies. basically each cookie is 80 calories. I have no shame in eating 10+ cookies in one setting b/c I too am a binge eater/over eater. when I am in weightloss mode, I have two of those cookies a day, log the calories, and I'm done for the day and feel okay b/c I haven't deprived myself of it, I just ate it sensibly.

Truth be told, took a long time to develop that skill, there was a point I couldn't do that, and I made a habit to just not buy certain foods b/c there was no way to restrict myself from eating it.

Other things that work for me: Knowing foods I like and that I won't overeat. I deff. won't overeat eggs. I won't overeat bagels, cheese, nuts, protein shakes, vegetables or fruits. I'll eat them but I deff won't be like, gee that spinach salad was good let's make another. :huh: But i'll eat it, haha

I have tips for days, but all you have to do is change, keywords YOU, CHANGE!
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Basically, you either work it into your calories, or you just stop.

About 10 years ago, I was eating fast food at least two times a day, every day. I think it's safe to say I was actually addicted. Then, my circumstances changed and I had to stop doing that. After a few weeks, I didn't really care any more. After that, I could have fast food just occasionally, but these days I don't even want it. I haven't had McDonalds, Burger King, Wendy's, etc even once in at least 5 years.

Just stop. The longer you go without it, the easier it gets. Just replace the junk with healthy alternatives and eventually you won't even miss it. Once you break the habit of *having* to eat junk, you can go back to eating it occasionally as a treat. Although some people find it easier to just avoid it all together. Find what works for you! But the best place to start ditching it is to just stop eating it.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I'm too lazy to read all the responses, but it sounds like you're also too lazy to log your choices.

MFP will not help if you don't log as accurately as possible.

And OP, you're in charge of you, so when you're ready to put your big girl pants on, it will all come together.

:flowerforyou:
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I went through this for a while. That's all I wanted to eat, but there came a point where my stomach would hurt so bad. I took a few days off and incorporated veggies... and low and behold I felt better. Then, I looked at the calories of all of that junk and realized that I could have fruit, salad and chicken which had the same amount of calories as 1 milkshake. I'd rather eat more than bloating my calories on 1 cheeseburger.