Running outdoors vs indoors

I started running just about 2 weeks ago, I got up to running at a pace of 12 min mile for about a mile and a half at a time, very tough for me but able to do it regularly... Yesterday I started running outside. I find myself running the same pace but quite winded only after about 6 mins.

I am wondering the effectiveness of my workouts for working on my cardio/burning calories if I stick with running outside say 3 times a day for only 6 mins at a time or if its better to do an 18 min run all at once inside?

I know overtime it will get much easier, but just wondering what's most effective for right now.

Replies

• HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    I prefer a "lengthy" running session 3-4 times a week. The long running time should help you get your heart's beats per minute up in a good range for a long enough time to make a difference.

Yup, running outside is harder than running inside. And running on city streets/country road, etc. is harder than running on a track. I vary my runs between streets and track, typically. If weather dictates, or if I'm traveling, I use a treadmill or indoor track.

I used to run a lot. Then, a few years ago, I tore my Achilles tendon. I didn't run for a long time (in fact, I couldn't walk) and I gained a lot of weight (that's why I'm here). I started running again around April this year. At first, I couldn't make it once around the track without stopping. Now, I regularly run 20+ miles a week and am running a half marathon next weekend. For me, the key to training my body to run for long stretches of time/distance was to 1) focus on continuing to move instead of focusing on maintaining a certain speed. In the beginning, I'd run at a speed that was barely above a shuffle. I remember the first time I tried to run three miles, it took me around 44 minutes or so (that's something like a 14+ minutes a mile). Last night, I ran four miles in 37 minutes (that was about 9 minutes 16 seconds a mile.

Anyway, point is, I think your workouts are probably effective now (anything is better than nothing, right?)...but they could accomplish more for you (re: calorie burn, stamina, etc.) if you just take it slow, focus on continuing to move, and slowly increasing. I use an app called Runkeeper and it's pretty cool (free too).

Anyway, good luck to you.
  • What's the weather like? That could very well be a factor. For example, I can run 15+ without thinking about it if the weather is 65F or lower, but when it hits 85F+ I can barely run 4 miles without feeling a little worn out and, at the very least, needing a water break. If not the weather, are there hills? Uneven pavement where you run? There could be a lot of different factors that only come into play outdoors making you feel winded. I'd say to stick with the outside when you can, even if you have to slow down a little to keep going, it's likely just as effective a workout.

Personally though, I tend to find it easier to run outdoors(I can run a lot faster without feeling stressed). Everyone's different.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    There definitely is a difference running indoors than outdoors. I'm the same way. The difference in the air, the heat, the pavement, hills all those play a factor. The more you run outside you will adjust. And there are some days that you just have a bad run regardless if it's indoors or out. Just keep at it, take it slowly, listen to your body. If you need to take a break to walk to catch your breath, take in water whatever do it. You'll continue to get stronger the more you do it.

Good Luck to you!
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    I've never understood everyone's "running outside if harder than inside"...maybe it's because I didn't start running outside until I had built up more of a running base, but I HATE running inside on treadmills. I end up staring at the mileage and time counters and it feels like to takes way longer! So, IMO, running inside is harder.

But, that's besides the point... back to your question:

Maybe do a combination until you get better at running outside? Also, don't quit at 6 minutes. Rather than stopping, just walk for a few minutes until you catch your breath, and then run a little again. There is nothing wrong with doing a run/walk combo!

EDIT - just to add, that yes I do understand there are more elements to deal with, when running outside (such as hills, weather, etc.), but for me, mentally, running outside is just so much easier.
  • goodfido
    goodfido Posts: 127 Member
    There definitely is a difference running indoors than outdoors. I'm the same way. The difference in the air, the heat, the pavement, hills all those play a factor. The more you run outside you will adjust. And there are some days that you just have a bad run regardless if it's indoors or out. Just keep at it, take it slowly, listen to your body. If you need to take a break to walk to catch your breath, take in water whatever do it. You'll continue to get stronger the more you do it.

Good Luck to you!
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Treadmills are notorious for being out calibration and reporting false speeds. That could likely be your issue, you think you are doing a 12 minute mile but are actually doing a 15 because the treadmill hasn't been calibrated since it was installed, if even then.

There are a number of other factors that affect running speed and distance: hills, humidity, pollen count, surface, etc. Plus unless you are running with a quality GPS watch or running app I would be skeptical that you are going the same speed as on the treadmill. I found it very hard to match speed when I switched from treadmill to outside running. Its takes surprisingly little to speed up or slow down 30 seconds/mile.

It all depends on what your goals are and what you like. I switched to running outside when I got to the point that my short runs were five miles because at least then I have a change of scenery. Now I prefer outside for the most part because it gives me time to map out what I am going to do with the day. As Gargoyle said, everyone is different though.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    I assume you were running on a treadmill. That being the case you were not actually running a mile and a half, you were picking your feet up and putting them back down while the ground moved underneath you. Now that you're outside, the ground doesn't move, you do, and you have to expend more energy to propel yourself forward, you're no longer running in place.

Any joker can run a 5K on a treadmill, take that same joker outside and you'll see how fit they are not. Keep running outside, that's where humans were meant to run, and you'll get a better workout. I'll bet if you build up to running actual 12 minute miles for a mile and a half, you'll step on a treadmill and 5 miles will seem like a walk in the park, because comparatively, it is.

Rigger
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Outdoor running is definitely harder. If it's hot outside, you sweat more, making you dehydrated faster, and the heat can zap your energy. The incline, even the gradual increase in elevation you may not be readily aware of, makes you work harder. But I think there is more benefit from it. At least for me, personally. I think you burn more calories, or at least develop more muscle. That's just my opinion, but over time, it gets easier. You have to push yourself a lot harder and eventually, you condition yourself to go further and further in less time. The advice of just focusing on moving forward is excellent. I usually find a focal point, say 50 feet up the trail, and focus only on getting myself that much further. Once I reach that point, I set a new focal point and don't slow until I reach it. It allows you to celebrate small successes. You've come this far, now go a little further. You continually push yourself that way rather than focusing on how fast you're going or how much ground you still have/want to cover. Intervals are also a really good strategy for outdoor running. They leave your body guessing and get your heart rate going faster. Walk a minute, run a minute. It will also condition you to build more stamina and endurance. I usually use intervals as a warm up to get my heart pumping for the first mile and then push as hard as I can for as long as I can after that. I used to be able to run six miles every day without slowing down, but now, I'm reconditioning myself because I've gotten out of shape. If you want to do shorter bursts, I would suggest intervals as you'll burn more calories by getting your heart rate up, but ultimately, the longer route is probably better. Training your body to run the longer distance will build more endurance. Then, you can gradually work up, maybe each week or each month, to adding in an extra half mile or mile.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member

Good Luck to you!
    THIS^ and I’ll add…
    I run 50/50 inside vs. outside. You will work your hamstrings more outdoors because indoors the belt is moving with you. But other than that….running is running. Your calorie burn is the same. I wear a bodymedia device and my numbers are the same. There are advantages to both. Treadmill saves some wear and tear on your body little softer landing, closer to the shower and you can set a speed and go. Outdoors you have weather, traffic and other unknowns. I say choose which ever you works best for you. If you plan on doing any road races always hit the outdoors for a large percentage of your training.
  • loneaffliction
    loneaffliction Posts: 81 Member
    Also, if you're just starting out, look into apps to help you monitor and report your progress. I use Runtastic and absolutely love it. Simple tracking with GPS that also records conditions. It gives me voice feedback so I know how far I've gone. I also started Zombies, Run! simultaneously which gives you specific conditioning instructions to work up to a 1K. I use that during my warmups now and go from there.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    I assume you were running on a treadmill. That being the case you were not actually running a mile and a half, you were picking your feet up and putting them back down while the ground moved underneath you. Now that you're outside, the ground doesn't move, you do, and you have to expend more energy to propel yourself forward, you're no longer running in place.

Any joker can run a 5K on a treadmill, take that same joker outside and you'll see how fit they are not. Keep running outside, that's where humans were meant to run, and you'll get a better workout. I'll bet if you build up to running actual 12 minute miles for a mile and a half, you'll step on a treadmill and 5 miles will seem like a walk in the park, because comparatively, it is.

Rigger

WOW TO THIS!! ^^ I'm sure many would disagree!!! THIS joker right here challenges you to a treadmill run...we will see who steps off first. Then we can see who is more fit.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member

Rigger

WOW TO THIS!! ^^ I'm sure many would disagree!!! THIS joker right here challenges you to a treadmill run...we will see who steps off first. Then we can see who is more fit.

Yeah, bring it on Rigger. This bear will outrun you indoors or out.
  • navyrigger46

Rigger

Maybe, but I'm out of shape, and I can run several miles on a treadmill, and at a higher speed than outdoors. The laws of physics do in fact apply to running, and running on a treadmill simply requires less energy.

Rigger
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member

Rigger

Maybe, but I'm out of shape, and I can run several miles on a treadmill, and at a higher speed than outdoors. The laws of physics do in fact apply to running, and running on a treadmill simply requires less energy.

Rigger

That may be the case, but you said "Any joker can run a 5K on a treadmill, take that same joker outside and you'll see how fit they are not." That statement is untrue. I do think the treadmill is easier than outside but it has nothing to do with how fit someone is. It has to do with wind resistance, heat/cold, running on asphalt, etc. The treadmill is still a good workout and there are plenty of people who only run on a treadmill who would kick my *kitten* in a 5K. Don't downgrade their workouts or accomplishments just because you can run several miles on a treadmill. That's insulting.
  • catneon
    catneon Posts: 911 Member

Rigger
    tumblr_lvc8hb626Q1qdlkgg.gif
    tumblr_m99xqjARWx1qlvwnco1_400.gif
  • IronAngel26pt2

Rigger

That may be the case, but you said "Any joker can run a 5K on a treadmill, take that same joker outside and you'll see how fit they are not." That statement is untrue. I do think the treadmill is easier than outside but it has nothing to do with how fit someone is. It has to do with wind resistance, heat/cold, running on asphalt, etc. The treadmill is still a good workout and there are plenty of people who only run on a treadmill who would kick my *kitten* in a 5K. Don't downgrade their workouts or accomplishments just because you can run several miles on a treadmill. That's insulting.

Exactly.... thank you.
  • navyrigger46

Rigger

Rigger

Allow me to clarify then, all things being equal, one fat out of shape joker versus another equally fat out of shape joker. If they spend equal time running, one on a treadmill, and one outside for say, six months, at the end, if you had them switch places, the one running outside for the six months would find the treadmill easy, while the one who spent the time on the treadmill would find running outside difficult. Which is what the OP is addressing. My post was merely explaining the why, it's not an attack on people who use a treadmill, you can get in great shape using a treadmill, but the two are not equal in any way shape or form, there are muscle groups worked running on the surface of the earth that simply don't get the same workout on a treadmill. Is it still a good cardio workout, absolutely, but it's not the same as running outdoors.

Rigger
  • IronAngel26pt2

Allow me to clarify then, all things being equal, one fat out of shape joker versus another equally fat out of shape joker. If they spend equal time running, one on a treadmill, and one outside for say, six months, at the end, if you had them switch places, the one running outside for the six months would find the treadmill easy, while the one who spent the time on the treadmill would find running outside difficult. Which is what the OP is addressing. My post was merely explaining the why, it's not an attack on people who use a treadmill, you can get in great shape using a treadmill, but the two are not equal in any way shape or form, there are muscle groups worked running on the surface of the earth that simply don't get the same workout on a treadmill. Is it still a good cardio workout, absolutely, but it's not the same as running outdoors.

Rigger

..and on the flip side the person who always ran outside would find it just as difficult to run on the treadmill if they switched places. I know this for a fact….from personal experience. Not from GOOGLE or a survey. Anytime you switch from your regular routine you will struggle until you adapt.

The OP was asking about calorie burning: I am wondering the effectiveness of my workouts for working on my cardio/burning calories

She wasn’t asking what you thought was more difficult....OR your opinion on what makes a person fit.
  • navyrigger46
    But what does the OP plan to do, if she plans to run outside in the future she needs to run outside in order to build up the endurance of those muscles. As far as cardio is concerned, running 3 times a day for six minute stretches or running once a day for 18 minutes is going to be the same as far as cardio is concerned.

What exactly are we arguing about here? Which is the better cardio workout? They're both about the same, they just work different muscle groups to different degrees.

Rigger
  • navyrigger46

Rigger

..and on the flip side the person who always ran outside would find it just as difficult to run on the treadmill if they switched places. I know this for a fact….from personal experience. Not from GOOGLE or a survey. Anytime you switch from your regular routine you will struggle until you adapt.

True, to a certain extent, but treadmill running does require less output and a slower glycogen depletion because of the reduced muscle activation, that's just a fact because you're not actually moving the weight of your body.

Rigger