mfp estimation true or not?

Options
Hey :)
Just wondering if the estimated weight mfp gives when you complete your diary is true, according to mfp i should weigh around 115 pounds in 5 weeks, if i eat like this every day will I actually weigh this or does anyone have experience where this estimation has been inaccurate.

(Wanting to know so i can exercise more if it is likely to be false as have a 'deadline' in 6 weeks)
thanks.
x

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You would have to recreate that day (like, groundhog day style) in order for it to happen. Generally, it won't be accurate because we homo sapiens weeble and wobble (but we don't fall over!).
  • jewel22887
    Options
    As Pearsquared said it is only if you have that exact same day every day for 5 weeks.
  • babyluthi
    babyluthi Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Agree with squarepeared. Your activity/sleep level would be different for each day even if you ate the same identical foods. That is where the difference would happen. So Groundhog Day it is for you then!;)
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    it's just an estimate.

OP, consider the 1200 that you're not eating to be a goal.. not a limit. Just sayin, this isn't a "lost weight by seeing who can undereat" contest. You're 19, you're active. Update the settings to match.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    It's a rough estimate assuming all other things are equal (ie, you eat exactly the same amounts of the same foods, move exactly the same amount and retain exactly the same amount of water). Given that the inputs are not exact either, that number is never exactly accurate, and may be off by a good bit. It's meant as a rough indicator of how you're doing, not a hard and fast prediction.
  • eazy_
    eazy_ Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    It was within one pound for me. I keep track In the notes section in my diary. Five weeks later go back and look.
  • luciemarierudge
    luciemarierudge Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    ah ok, if every day it estimates close to 115pound i'm sure ill get somewhere around that weight? :smile:
  • Zakiya05
    Zakiya05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous post. You would have to recreate that day. Also it is important that you are as accurate as possible with counting calories with food and exercise. You seem like a smaller person like I am, if you use MFP's calculations with how many calories you burned that will destroy your goal. Before I understood that I couldn't understand why I wasn't losing any weight. It wasn't until I started exercising with my heart rate monitor and discovering how grossly over estimated MFP's calculations were is when I started to lose the weight.

Make a long story short it is as accurate as you are. It worked for me, and I was eating basically the same thing every day and using my heart rate monitor. It hit it right on the nose. Now I don't feel like putting in the energy of eating (I am not trying to lose anymore just tone) the same amount of calories every day so I don't pay it any mind anymore.

Good luck!
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    You would have to recreate that day (like, groundhog day style) in order for it to happen. Generally, it won't be accurate because we homo sapiens weeble and wobble (but we don't fall over!).

I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and saw two people fall over. It was late in the night and they were dancing and fell after tripping on each others feet. Yes, there was alcohol involved but they DID fall over. lol
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have found it to be very close to my average. Days that are in the extreme where I have had no exercise or it was non-stop throw off the curve a bit.

BTW. I have a very active life. I chose Sedentary and got the 1200 calories too. Just be sure to log all your exercise and eat it back. you want to NET around 1200 after your exercise calories. MFP already counted a deficit for you to lose your goal weight.

800 calories a day is not enough for anyone to keep up for an extended time. The crash diet will work in the short run, but when you increase your calories you'll just put it back on again- and then some.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

I was at a wedding a couple of weeks ago and saw two people fall over. It was late in the night and they were dancing and fell after tripping on each others feet. Yes, there was alcohol involved but they DID fall over. lol
    Alcohol is a powerful potion indeed.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options

Even recreating the exact day (this in itself is not possible) won't really help (but could theoretically be close) .. over the 5 weeks, you'll lose some weight(maybe), or gain some muscle(maybe) or retain more or less water on given days ..

So if you're 125 today, and eat your day, you'll be at a certain deficit. That deficit will not be the same in 4 weeks when you're perhaps 119 lbs or perhaps more muscular or whatever ..
  • trogalicious
    Options
    ah ok, if every day it estimates close to 115pound i'm sure ill get somewhere around that weight? :smile:
    Not if you don't eat enough, your loss will eventually stop. You'll come back here, asking why it isn't working. You're not eating enough, OP. Take the opportunity now to fix that.
  • luciemarierudge
    Options
    But i burn about 400 calories a day and i'm too full to eat that much back :(
    Also feel like ill just get nowhere if i eat back what i've burnt but i don't really know how that works.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Not if you don't eat enough, your loss will eventually stop. You'll come back here, asking why it isn't working. You're not eating enough, OP. Take the opportunity now to fix that.
    The Minnesota Starvation Experiment would prove otherwise, I think. Your weight loss will slow as your metabolism slows. You will probably have long term mental and physical health issues. Look forward to hair loss, a decrease in bone density, bad nails, moodiness, depression, anxiety, and a loss of mental ability.

Your skin will sag, you won't hardly have any strength, you'll look terrible nekkid, but you will have lost weight. Of course, you can also lose a lot of weight by chopping off your left arm. You don't use it that much anyway :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Given that every day is not going to be like today and the fact that weight loss isn't linear...no...it's not 100% accurate. It is a projection...if you know and understand anything about projections...say for example, budget projections...you know it's just kind of a ball park to track progress...you never hit it dead on; it's pretty much impossible.

You are going to have all kinds of variation along the way...you will undoubtadly have bouts of hormone related issues...water retention from starting up a new exercise regimen or increasing your training...or just because you had a bit too much sodium one day or not enough potassium or your PH is out of whack, etc. This **** isn't linear and it's best you get that through your head now. Also, if you don't have a lot to lose, your body will be more reluctant to give up it's fat stores...so it's not going to cooperate along these time lines.

There are all kinds of ups and downs and bumps in the road...don't focus on the number of weeks or whatever...focus on being a healthier and more fit you...focus on being better to day than you were yesterday. Focus on the process and your nutrition and your fitness.

When you focus on the result, you rarely see the change; when you focus on the change, you always see the results.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    But i burn about 400 calories a day and i'm too full to eat that much back :(
    Also feel like ill just get nowhere if i eat back what i've burnt but i don't really know how that works.
    You do realize that your body requires energy to function, right? Like, to make your heart beat, or your brain/liver/kidneys to function, right? Cause it does. That comes from food. If you don't give your body enough (like you are) then not only will you stop losing weight, but awesome other stuff will happen. Long term? Your metabolism gets wrecked... hair falls out, mood changes, dizziness.. etc.

I'm trying to tell you in the nicest way possible that you're doing it wrong and eating that little is not going to benefit your loss.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I think it is very unreliable. IF you click it every night - it will be different. What happens in 6 weeks if you're not at your goal? Why not start now and do this in a healthy way. What you lose, you lose. But you keep going after your goal date has come and gone.

Good luck.
  • luciemarierudge
    Options
    The Minnesota Starvation Experiment would prove otherwise, I think. Your weight loss will slow as your metabolism slows. You will probably have long term mental and physical health issues. Look forward to hair loss, a decrease in bone density, bad nails, moodiness, depression, anxiety, and a loss of mental ability.

Your skin will sag, you won't hardly have any strength, you'll look terrible nekkid, but you will have lost weight. Of course, you can also lose a lot of weight by chopping off your left arm. You don't use it that much anyway :)

i was asking, no need to be so rude.
  • trogalicious
    Options

i was asking, no need to be so rude.
    this post is honest, accurate, and truthful. Not rude. That's basically what happens. We're telling you this now, for your own benefit. You're doing this whole thing the wrong way.

You put in "2lbs per week" because you wanna lose it quickly... but since you have so little to lose, it's not accurate. You put bad information into MFP when you set the account up. It's okay. 85% of people probably do. Look, take this as a "oh wow, I can actually eat more than 1200 calories and still lose" moment. It's a good thing. No need / reason to argue about being able to eat more food than you are.

Update your settings to .5 or 1lb per week. Eat back your exercise calories. If you're getting too full, eat more nutrient dense food. Get a hand full of almonds, etc.