Afraid of Fruit?

Options
This is new to me. I have two friends who are afraid to eat fruit...even normal ones, like apples, oranges, and bananas. I can understand people being afraid of veggies, but fruit? Fruit is so yummy! Of course, I like veggies, too, but that's a taste I acquired as an adult. Have we just been eating processed foods so long that we aren't accustomed to textures anymore?

So weird, imo...

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    This is new to me. I have two friends who are afraid to eat fruit...even normal ones, like apples, oranges, and bananas. I can understand people being afraid of veggies, but fruit? Fruit is so yummy! Of course, I like veggies, too, but that's a taste I acquired as an adult. Have we just been eating processed foods so long that we aren't accustomed to textures anymore?

So weird, imo...

Fruit has carbs (in the form of sugar!) carbs make you fat and sugar is toxic, so it's pretty rational
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    It's usually because of the fact that it's a carbohydrate source or the sugar content. Or both. Those are the leading reasons I see when people avoid fruit or vegetables.
  • DancingDreams1234
    Options
    Why afraid of veggies? That's just weird.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. People are afraid of plant ovaries?
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I still have a helping of some kind of fruit everyday. My dietician insists on it!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Are they against eating it because of nutritional reasons or for taste reasons? I'm not a huge fan of many fruits, if they're too sweet without a tart or sour undertone they do not taste good to me (some varieties of apples, some of the newer breads of tangerines, some berries, overripe bananas, etc.) I still eat them because I'm not a child and can eat things I don't 100% enjoy because I don't want them to go to waste and I know they're good for me. I think any adult (my boyfriend included who's the pickiest eater ever) is being ridiculous to refuse to eat a bunch of different foods. I get one or two food aversions, but beyond that is absurd.
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    It's 'cuz fruit has OH NOES SUGAR! *runs around panicking*
  • glin23
    glin23 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Why afraid of veggies? That's just weird.

Veggies are still a carb and yes they do contain sugar, although not nearly as much as fruit.
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Do you actually mean afraid, or do you mean they don't like fruit, for one reason or another?
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options

So weird, imo...

Fruit has carbs (in the form of sugar!) carbs make you fat and sugar is toxic, so it's pretty rational

tumblr_lraaxmcf3m1qafrh6_zpsbc8fdb4c.gif
  • Flybeetle
    Flybeetle Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Lol crazybookworm :)

There are many dangers in the world, I am absolutely positive that fruit is not one of them :)
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Lol crazybookworm :)

There are many dangers in the world, I am absolutely positive that fruit is not one of them :)

Haha! My thoughts exactly! :tongue:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

So weird, imo...

tumblr_lraaxmcf3m1qafrh6_zpsbc8fdb4c.gif

^^Agreed^^

I guess, I should clarify. They aren't scared of sugar; they eat tons of sugar (cake, candybars, cokes, alcohol). They aren't afraid of fruit in the sense that they think it's dangerous and it might eat THEM. I mean, they're afraid of fruit, because the texture is foreign/weird to them.

I should have known to expect multiple perspectives; it is, after all, why I asked in the first place, right? LOL