I found German-Speaking people...any Irish speakers here?

Options
Dia duit! Im currently in the process of teaching myself Irish and I feel like I have progressed pretty far for it only being about 2 weeks. My sentence constructing is still very poor which is why most of this is in English, lol.

I have switched many other things (FB, Twitter, etc) over to Irish language to become accustomed to it and it would be cool to see Irish being spoken on my friends list as well and might help me learn quicker.

If anyone speaks even a little bit of Irish, Id love to be friends with you :)

Oh, and for MFP purposes, Im a 28 yr old female, 5'4.25" with about 70 lbs to lose. Figured I should mention that as its a weight loss site that we are on :P

Replies

• 72stroopwafels
    Options
    I've been trying to learn it on Memrise and the best I can say is 'Is that man very old' and 'This cow is brown'.
    :S
  • Oooh what is your Memrise handle? Thats my main source of learning Irish as well :) I am following 4 different Irish programs on there- have been at it for about 2-3 weeks now and Im finding that I love the spaced repetition method they use :) Im now starting a program on there to keep reviewing/refreshing/learning German as well.
  • 72stroopwafels
    Options
    Here I am! http://www.memrise.com/user/katie.roskams/
    Feel free to add me, it'd be nice to have some more friends on there too! I love Memrise and am a bit obsessed with it. I wish I didn't keep getting distracted by all the lovely languages I want to learn!
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Ireland but we didnt speak Gaelic. I learned it in school to 6th Grade. I have very little now, words and phrases here and there.

Cad is anim duit. Siobhan is anim dom.
  • jorpa99
    jorpa99 Posts: 49
    Options
    I don't know Irish but I do know an old Irish saying....."May the cat eat you and the devil eat the cat"
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Did it for oooohhh....11 years in school but none of it really stuck. Nearly everyone I know is the same! It's only used in a few areas so finding people actually fluent is tough
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    I don't know Irish but I do know an old Irish saying....."May the cat eat you and the devil eat the cat"

I've never heard that saying! It's very morbid
  • Goalsat47
    Goalsat47 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nope never heard it either. Yikes.
  • fuzzieme
    Options
    Nope never heard it either. Yikes.

I found out, it's spoken sometimes as gaeilge (in irish). But never said in English, which is why nobody here has heard that, ha! I had to ask a teacher to find out
  • monartlady
    Options
    Hi. I'm living in South east Ireland agus tá cupla focal agam. (I have a few words) Like most people living in Ireland it's a necessity in school, but yet very few people speak it. Thankfully though, there are now Irish primary schools, called Gael scoils, (aged 5-12) starting to appear where all subjects are taught through Irish, i.e. there's no English spoken at all in the school. And there's also a few secondary schools, or Meanscoils, (ages 12-17). Good luck trying to find a fluent Irish speaker.
    Slán leat, agus go raibh míle maith agat.
    (Goodbye and thank you)
    Trish
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Do you mean Gaelic? I believe that is the native Irish language.