Teriyaki chicken with spaghetti squash

Options
55in13
55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
The title is pretty much the recipe as I am having it now, but you can certainly find some from scratch recipes for the chicken and sauce because some of you will likely be turned off by the convenience foods I threw in. I had some left over squash. I cook mine in the oven, split, de-seeded, face down for <40 minutes at 375. I like mine still slightly crunchy; cook a little longer for soft. Anyway, I keep a few little 2 oz cans of 98% fat free chicken breast in my desk. Drain and rinse (they are salty). Put some squash on a plate, chicken on top, pour on the sauce (I use a spicy store brand that is only 30 calories for 2 tbsp), cover and microwave a couple of minutes. It is surprisingly good; one of the better quick office lunches I have come up with. Maybe 200 calories total and I am pretty full.

Replies

• lauralgreen
    lauralgreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    that sounds so yummy
  • 55in13
    Options
    It occurs to me I should add the instructions on getting the squash ready to eat in case someone finds this as their first spaghetti squash recipe. After baking, you scrape the squash out with a fork and it will come out in strands like spaghetti. Hold it with a cloth so you don't burn your hand. If you let it cool, try to scrape it while still at least somewhat warm. It seems to separate better.
  • lauralgreen
    lauralgreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    what other things do you put over spaghetti sqaush?
  • alicecorsiatto
    alicecorsiatto Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I love spaghetti squash! Last night I cooked my spaghetti squash, browned some extra lean ground turkey, cut up some zucchini and onion and mixed it all together in a wok. Added a jar of low sodium spaghetti sauce and it was a very yummy, low calorie spaghetti! I like things spicy so I added some garlic, cayenne and other random spices that i enjoy. If you can afford some extra calories, add a little bit of feta.. makes it all that much better. Enjoy!
  • 55in13
    Options
    what other things do you put over spaghetti sqaush?
    Just a little parm is good. Shrimp and Italian dressing. Here is an odd one - BBQ sauce. No meat, just squash and sauce. Cinnamon sugar.
  • benjicloverdale
    benjicloverdale Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has a good Thai Red Curry Sauce. I add about 2 TBSP to 1 cup spaghetti squash. I also add 2 TBSP light ranch dressing and 1 TBSP Frank's REd Hot Buffalo Wing sauce to 1 cup squash. Then I add 1/2 cup of cubed turkey or chicken.