Looking for People who used to not eat enough, but now do!

Options
Looking for People who used to not eat enough, but have "seen the light"

I know this is a controversial post.. but I have spent years "yo-yo" dieting. I am 5'7" started at 203 lbs and want to get down to the 160-170 range. I have been unsuccessful. I have always eaten way too little for a man my size (1200-1300 calories). Would break down because I couldn't stand it and then eat 3000-4000 calories for three weeks straight. My metabolism has been damaged and I have steadily gained weight and body fat.

There has to be a better way!!

I have been spending a lot of time reading about TDEE, BMR and using the resources here.

For the last few months I have been eating between my BMR and My TDEE and I feel great, have energy to workout, and I am slowly but surely losing weight and body fat.

There are some days I feel like the "minority" here. Some people get indignant when veterans tell them they should be eating more.

so.. I am just looking for some confirmation from people who started out eating too little and finally realizing the better way to do it.

Please give a shout if you have been successful with that approach!

Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    bump
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to eat 1,200 calories a day. Blah! But now I'm doing whats right for my body and slowly upping my calories. Feel free to add me.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I used to eat 1,200 calories a day. Blah! But now I'm doing whats right for my body and slowly upping my calories. Feel free to add me.

Thanks! :drinker:
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I started out with the normal mfp guidelines of 1200 and stuck to it for a while. When i added weight training i upped it to 1600. That was too much food for me plus it put on a few pounds that i didnt want or need.

So , now i have myself set at 1400 which is usually enough for me but somedays i will go over that by 100-200 if i feel like i need or want to.

I also give myself one day a week to eat what ever i want ....some times its decent other times its just alot of junk but it usually ends up in the 2000 range.

Mostly i just listen to my body.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I started out with the normal mfp guidelines of 1200 and stuck to it for a while. When i added weight training i upped it to 1600. That was too much food for me plus it put on a few pounds that i didnt want or need.

So , now i have myself set at 1400 which is usually enough for me but somedays i will go over that by 100-200 if i feel like i need or want to.

I also give myself one day a week to eat what ever i want ....some times its decent other times its just alot of junk but it usually ends up in the 2000 range.

Mostly i just listen to my body.

Thanks for the info there. What is impressive is that even on the "eat whatever you want day" you still manage to keep it in "check". That is something I need to learn to do! Good luck and thanks! :smile:
  • suannemarie
    Options
    I was eating around 1440 per MFP. Now I use the average of 4 methods (currently 1680 not including eating my workouts). Since changing to the higher calorie allowance, I'm losing @ 2 lbs a week instead of a pound a month.
  • candylilacs
    candylilacs Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories (net and gross) a few weeks ago in an attempt to lose weight faster, and all I did was make myself miserable. Tired, deprived and a pain to be around and all to lose two pounds a week.

So I upped my calories to about 1300-1400 net and I still lose two pounds a week and my life is much less awful.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I was eating around 1440 per MFP. Now I use the average of 4 methods (currently 1680 not including eating my workouts). Since changing to the higher calorie allowance, I'm losing @ 2 lbs a week instead of a pound a month.

Wow Thanks.. These are the stories I am looking to hear! I think too is that we have so much more fuel for our workouts!
  • Chevy_Quest
    Options
    I was eating 1200 calories (net and gross) a few weeks ago in an attempt to lose weight faster, and all I did was make myself miserable. Tired, deprived and a pain to be around and all to lose two pounds a week.

So I upped my calories to about 1300-1400 net and I still lose two pounds a week and my life is much less awful.

Sounds almost more "fun" thanks for writing this.It really helps me! :smile: