ANYONE GOOD AT ALGEBRA? please help :)

Options
2»

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I'm good at math, but I prefer to give lessons in biology as payment beforehand.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    si=r(6+i)^n -6
    si+6 = r(6+i)^n
    (si+6)/((6+i)^n) = r

Since there is only one r, you need to separate all the other stuff from around the r, paying attention to order of operations to keep the right things together.

First multiply both sides by i, cancelling out the i on the right side. Then add 6 to both sides, cancelling out the 6 on the right side. Then multiply by 1/(6+i)^n on both sides, cancelling it out on the right side and leaving only r.

I think it may be more complicated on that, depending on how the problem is supposed to read. OP originally posted

s=(r((6+i)^n-6))/i

followed by

s=r(6+i)^n-6) then that all over "i" as a fraction

In the second version, there is one too many ")". In the first, if accurate, the entire ((6+i)^n-6) would be multiplied by "r", preventing you from simply adding 6 to both sides of the equation.

If I'm incorrect, please let me know. I'm blonde and it's still early.

ETA: If it IS supposed to be written the way you interpretted it, I agree with your math completely.
    I rather do it the easy way if you understand the problem I see... just multiply by i then exchange r and s... you don't need to go through a whole bunch of other processes if R is on the outside and you can just multiply by the reciprocals.
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    The first answer is beautifully precise and explained quite well. My compliments to the prof.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    si=r(6+i)^n -6
    si+6 = r(6+i)^n
    (si+6)/((6+i)^n) = r

Since there is only one r, you need to separate all the other stuff from around the r, paying attention to order of operations to keep the right things together.

First multiply both sides by i, cancelling out the i on the right side. Then add 6 to both sides, cancelling out the 6 on the right side. Then multiply by 1/(6+i)^n on both sides, cancelling it out on the right side and leaving only r.

I think it may be more complicated on that, depending on how the problem is supposed to read. OP originally posted

s=(r((6+i)^n-6))/i

followed by

In the second version, there is one too many ")". In the first, if accurate, the entire ((6+i)^n-6) would be multiplied by "r", preventing you from simply adding 6 to both sides of the equation.

ETA: If it IS supposed to be written the way you interpretted it, I agree with your math completely.

That's what got me stuck because I kept trying to multiply the R, and started to FOIL the 6+i till I realized the exponent was N!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    si=r(6+i)^n -6
    si+6 = r(6+i)^n
    (si+6)/((6+i)^n) = r

s=(r((6+i)^n-6))/i

followed by

That's what got me stuck because I kept trying to multiply the R, and started to FOIL the 6+i till I realized the exponent was N!

I did the same thing at first. If the way she wrote it is correct, it should be r = (si)/((6+i)^n -6)
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    R = Pie?

2R7CAJ0K598THG5MO1OJ7MZCIV4JZ.png
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    si=r(6+i)^n -6
    si+6 = r(6+i)^n
    (si+6)/((6+i)^n) = r

thank you!
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Apparently I'm not. I tried to solve the problem to see if I'm even qualified to give you instructions.............NOPE. Good luck.
  • linsey0689
    linsey0689 Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    i would like to thank everyone who tried and help me very nice of you. i knew i would get some negative comments but that's okay i understand that's not what this site is made for but almost everyone on here is so nice that's why i decided to ask.

thanks again everyone :)
  • gsnobel
    gsnobel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Answer is correct BUT How much Wood could a woodchuck chuck?