Amino Acid

I have a bottle here that I bought while trying out the HCG diet (which I NOW realize is stupid). Anyways, is there any benefit in taking it? I workout 6 days a week and my main focus is burning belly fat and toning up muscles. What exactly does it do?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    I have a bottle here that I bought while trying out the HCG diet (which I NOW realize is stupid). Anyways, is there any benefit in taking it? I workout 6 days a week and my main focus is burning belly fat and toning up muscles. What exactly does it do?

There are lots of amino acids...

As far as trying to focus on spot fat reduction, just eat in a deficit and you will gradually lose fat all over
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    What exactly do you have?
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Is it Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA)? If so, it is used as a protein supplement. It is suppose to be easily absorbed into the body and help with muscle repair and soreness. It is most effective when taken 30 minutes prior to training. I use it in the morning because I lift before eating anything. It definitely seems to help with the muscle soreness.
  • kaabruur19
    kaabruur19 Posts: 12 Member
    Bottle says amino acid master pattern.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member

Lol

MAP™ vs. Steroids

http://www.masteraminoacidpattern.com/compare_ster/index.php
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

FYI, proteins are large molecules made entirely of long strings of amino acids. When you eat protein, your body digests the protein by breaking it down into individual amino acids, which it then uses to build its own proteins. There are a total of 22 amino acids (of which 9 are essential, meaning your body can't make them itself) and most protein-rich food has most or all of them. There's really no reason to take an amino acid supplement, except in very specific cases.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member

Lol

MAP™ vs. Steroids

http://www.masteraminoacidpattern.com/compare_ster/index.php

ha ha

OP: you wasted your money, sorry
  • jonnythan
    Well the good news is that they won't do any harm. Might as well take em.

What would benefit is getting a lot more protein in your diet, though.
  • kaabruur19
    kaabruur19 Posts: 12 Member
    Thanks guys! Tossing the bottle.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Is it Branch Chain Amino Acids (BCAA)? If so, it is used as a protein supplement. It is suppose to be easily absorbed into the body and help with muscle repair and soreness. It is most effective when taken 30 minutes prior to training. I use it in the morning because I lift before eating anything. It definitely seems to help with the muscle soreness.

Since i started taking BCAAs ( AminoCore from Total nutrition) i have noticed a huge improvement in my muscle soreness/recovery. Due to that, i am able to push harder and longer on my workouts than i used to. I take half a scoop pre workout and half a scoop after my workout.
  • jonnythan

Since i started taking BCAAs ( AminoCore from Total nutrition) i have noticed a huge improvement in my muscle soreness/recovery. Due to that, i am able to push harder and longer on my workouts than i used to. I take half a scoop pre workout and half a scoop after my workout.

That supplement claims it has 8 grams of amino acids but only 10 calories per serving.

One of those is a lie, and I would not buy products from liars.

Quality protein sources such as chicken and whey contain plenty of BCAAs. You don't need to buy incredibly expensive BCAA supplements with questionable nutrition labels.
  • rassha01

That supplement claims it has 8 grams of amino acids but only 10 calories per serving.

Quality protein sources such as chicken and whey contain plenty of BCAAs. You don't need to buy incredibly expensive BCAA supplements with questionable nutrition labels.

Why is that a lie? They have to use the FDA regs I believe and that is something like 4 cals per gram OR they need to do the actual calorific testing to determine. So it couold either be 8g*4cals=24 cals per serving or the actual testing came up with 1.25 cals/gram. I think since the proteins are already broken down the calorie content would be greatly reduced wouldn't it?
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member

Why is that a lie? They have to use the FDA regs I believe and that is something like 4 cals per gram OR they need to do the actual calorific testing to determine. So it couold either be 8g*4cals=24 cals per serving or the actual testing came up with 1.25 cals/gram. I think since the proteins are already broken down the calorie content would be greatly reduced wouldn't it?

My container says:
    Serving size: 1 heaping scoop ( 12 grams)
    per serving:
    calories : 18

Anticatabolic repair and recovery complex- 10g

Aminocore delivers the body a clinical 10g dose of BCAAs with the addition of glutamine and HICA. HICA has been proven to heavily reduce muscle breakdown during training, resulting in less catabolism and allowing the body to repair at a much faster rate.

I find it makes a difference and i trust the body builders that own the shop to lead me in the right direction. They have not ever tried to sell me something i did not need or want. Besides that a trainer i often use reccommended it.

Helpful people on MFP will ALL have a different opinion on what is right and what is not .....every one is an individual with individual needs.
  • rassha01
    Mine has 18 cals for 5 grams, not sure how this cannot be true when diet cola can supposedly have 0!!! I only got serious into lifting about a month ago but I was taking this prior to my fasted morning runs of 6 miles and the soreness in my legs was gone and my pace started increasing! I would say they definitely can have a positive effect when used right.