Protein shakes - why?

Options
Hi all,

I notice that quite a few people on here are drinking protein shakes and was just wondering why?

Replies

• Beebee78
    Options
    I drank them in the first week I started training because my body just wasn't used to the kicking it was getting and I needed the extra protein to help my muscles repair. xxx
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    yep that's why i drink it too...after a month of training all of a sudden my body felt like it was falling apart...so i asked my trainer what was going on and he said it's my protein deficiency...i'm tearing my muslces apart and not reparing them...so i just use 1 scoop in water and fruit...blend together...i tried drinking it with soy milk and tofu dessert but it was just to thick...most people have 2 scoops but try one to start...make sure you check the caloric value of the whey powder, some are VERY high in sugar...mine is 70 calories per scoop which is excellent.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that you must drink it within 45 minutes of completing your workout or else it doesn't repair squat.
  • mjgriff44
    Options
    My wife and I drink them because they are low calorie, healthy and the protein really fills you up.....we usually use them to replace 1 meal a day...usually breakfast or lunch!!
  • theemstress
    theemstress Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Women often don't get adequate amounts of protein in their diets. Adding a supplement via a shake is one of the easiest ways to up the amount of protein daily.

There are different types of protein. I use whey. Soy scares me because it's basically an estrogen plant. If you have cancer in your family history, you likely want to stay away from soy products (soy beans, soy sauce, soy protein, etc.) Whatever you decide, you should make an informed decision. Guys at the health stores are usually pretty knowledgeable.

Adequate protein intake is important for an array of reasons but I most enjoy that fact that it aids in my fitness recovery and of course in weight loss. :) If protein shakes aren't for you, consider food high in protein:

Foods which are good sources of protein
    » 1 60c can of tuna fish – 40g
    » 3oz of salmon – 23g
    » 8ox of milk – 8g
    » 4oz chicken breast – 35g
    » 8oz of yogurt – 10g
    » 1oz of cheddar cheese – 87g
    » 1 egg – 6g
    » 4oz of cottage cheese – 14g

How much protein do we need?
    The body’s protein needs on a daily basis depend on your age, sex and weight, on average the amount of protein you need can be worked out by multiplying your weight in pounds by the numbers shown below:

» An adult who doesn’t exercise much – weight x 0.4
    » An adult who exercises on a regular basis – weight x 0.5
    » An athlete – weight x 0.6
    » An adult who is body building for muscle mass – weight x 0.7
    » A growing teenage athlete – weight x 0.9

Hope this helps! -Emily
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Low Carb, high protien meal. I'm not much of a breakfast eater-but it's the most important part of the day. So I chose to do a protien shake.
  • HIzara
    HIzara Posts: 187
    Options
    I take a protein shake after every intensive 60 min workout to repair my muscles (used in working out) so that the next day I am less fatigue and sore. This means optimal energy and strength for the next day's workout!
  • HIzara
    Options
    Women often don't get adequate amounts of protein in their diets. Adding a supplement via a shake is one of the easiest ways to up the amount of protein daily.

There are different types of protein. I use whey. Soy scares me because it's basically an estrogen plant. If you have cancer in your family history, you likely want to stay away from soy products (soy beans, soy sauce, soy protein, etc.) Whatever you decide, you should make an informed decision. Guys at the health stores are usually pretty knowledgeable.

Adequate protein intake is important for an array of reasons but I most enjoy that fact that it aids in my fitness recovery and of course in weight loss. :) If protein shakes aren't for you, consider food high in protein:

» 3oz of salmon – 23g
    » 8ox of milk – 8g
    » 8oz of yogurt – 10g
    » 1 egg – 6g

The body’s protein needs on a daily basis depend on your age, sex and weight, on average the amount of protein you need can be worked out by multiplying your weight in pounds by the numbers shown below:

Hope this helps! -Emily

Emily,

I read that if you are an athlete (or working out every day), your protein should be at least .5 - 1. And if you are a body builder, your protein intake should be at least 1-2x your weight ? Is this incorrect?

So, 150 lbs x 1/2 = 75g. 150 lbs x 1 = 150g. So, from if you are 150 lbs and working out everyday, the calculation comes out to 75-150g of protein for someone working out everyday (athletes)?
  • Nikki_Marz
    Options
    I also like to use them occasionally when my daily caloric guide seems deficient in protein. Some days getting the recommended amountt of protein is really difficult so I use it as an easy substitute, which adds protein but not to many carbs or fat (depending on what I mix it with and what kind of protein you get).
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    Because they taste yummy! Only once in a while will I replace a meal with a shake. Usually if I make a shake, there is enough for 1/2 for breakfast and 1/2 for afternoon or evening snack.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options

» 3oz of salmon – 23g
    » 8ox of milk – 8g
    » 8oz of yogurt – 10g
    » 1 egg – 6g

Hope this helps! -Emily

Emily,

I read that if you are an athlete (or working out every day), your protein should be at least .5 - 1. And if you are a body builder, your protein intake should be at least 1-2x your weight ? Is this incorrect?

So, 150 lbs x 1/2 = 75g. 150 lbs x 1 = 150g. So, from if you are 150 lbs and working out everyday, the calculation comes out to 75-150g of protein for someone working out everyday (athletes)?

I am prepping for a competition and i eat close to 150g of protein and I weigh 132 at the moment... so I would say that calculation is failry right :) I have protein shakes all of the same reasons: proteins, low fat, low carbs, repairs great!

Oh, and Zara - GREAT ABS!!
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals - I've always wondered what they're actually for! That sounds like a good idea after a workout. I'm nearly always over on my protein (according to the MFP standard settings).
  • Beebee78
    Options
    Protein is a good thing to go over on! xxx
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys and gals - I've always wondered what they're actually for! That sounds like a good idea after a workout. I'm nearly always over on my protein (according to the MFP standard settings).

I find that I feel better when I eat about twice the amount of protein MFP initially recommends. You can change the percentages of your macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein). I feel way better when I eat 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat (or sometimes 40/30/30) than when I was eating what MFP originally recommended (55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat, I think. 55% carbs is a LOT of carbs!).
  • HIzara
    Options

I find that I feel better when I eat about twice the amount of protein MFP initially recommends. You can change the percentages of your macronutrients (fat, carbs, protein). I feel way better when I eat 45% carbs, 30% protein, 25% fat (or sometimes 40/30/30) than when I was eating what MFP originally recommended (55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat, I think. 55% carbs is a LOT of carbs!).

I agree. 55% carbs is A LOT!! I use 40/40/20.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options

I also find MFP's default % do not fit my goals so well. Can we change an MFP setting to adjust the % for our diary goal amounts?
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I also find MFP's default % do not fit my goals so well. Can we change an MFP setting to adjust the % for our diary goal amounts?

OK, never mind. I found it.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add that you must drink it within 45 minutes of completing your workout or else it doesn't repair squat.

Definitely not true. It's important to make protein a part of every meal. Getting protein after a workout is a good practice and is the best time to get it, but any time is a good time for protein if you're looking to get healthy. I have eggs or egg substitute for breakfast every single morning. Today I'm having a muscle milk for lunch, then a homemade protein shake after work / before practice (football coach). I also drink a casein protein shake (slow-releasing) right before bed to give my muscles what they need throughout the night. Casein is really thick, so I mix it with 1 cup of skim milk and over a cup of cold water. This fills me up and the liquid keeps me hydrated while I sleep.