Fitbit or Fuelband

Options
I cannot decide which one to get. I only do walking (which i really enjoy)

The fuelband looks smarter, but costs more, read a few reviews and still cannot make my mind up, seen some say the fuelband is only good if you run, which i don't.

Anybody got any experience of both or one with myfitnesspal?

Replies

• Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Had the fuelband before the fitbit so I can offer a real world perspective on both. The fuelband was fun for a few days but after awhile the "fuel points" just seemed like a stupid goal to shoot for. Then I noticed just moving my hand while sitting down can registers alot of "steps" that I didn't take, so accuracy was a huge issue. Also didn't sync to fitness pal very well.

Then I got the fitbit one and wow. This is how it's done right. It's this easy to clip on thing you completely forget about and the best part is just the wealth of information you get. Steps, cals based on activity and bmr, miles and even steps. It has an altimeter to measure steps up stairs so everything counts as far as walking is concerned. It gives me that 10,000 steps goal to shoot for and makes everything easy to understand with a bunch of graphs and badgers and whatnot and it easily syncs to fitness pal by itself so over the coarse of the day, my exercise calories are added from whatever the hell I did that day. Then at the end of the week I get a fitness report in my email that tells me a bunch of cool things.

Bottom line: I think the fitbit one is the best you can do for this category. The flex? Not sure. I've heard good things about it but the general consensus seems to be that the one is better and more accurate
  • captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't have a fuelband but I do have a fitbit one and I know someone who has the fuelband and she is about to move to the fitbit also. I really like the fitbit and it is a more generic measure of the activity you are doing. I will also say that it is very accurate, I walk on a treadmill that records steps on the tread and my fitbit and the treadmill are within a couple steps of each other when I finish a 2 hour walk.

I will also say that the support the fitbit team gives is very good. They are very helpful and truly seem to be interested in improving the system. I haven't heard great things about the fuelband team being open about plans or in fixing issues.
  • kendragetshealthy
    Options
    I have a jawbone up and I love it! I had the fitbit flex and returned it.....
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I bought the Basic band and have been really happy with it! It is more expensive than the others, but the data it collects is awesome!
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I used Fitbit when it just came out. It was great and has only improved. Fitbit has 3 of top 4 trackers....check this article. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404445,00.asp

Fuelband was the worst.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I got the fitbit one a couple of months ago afeter reading every review I could google.

I couldn't be happier with it.

A few reasons I decided on the fitbit one as opposed to wrist bands are because: a) I didn't want hand movement to count towards steps (this was a common complaint for the wrist bands); (b) I wanted it to count flights of stairs. I work on the fifth floor and have lots of stairs in my house. I wanted to see how many I climed a day; and (c) I didn't want to have something on my body that was noticble.

I wanted an activity tracker to help motivate me to move outside of workouts. While I am great about getting to the gym, lifting weights and I love running intervals, I am a slug when not at the gym or otherwise working out.

Since I have gotten the fitbit one, I have been taking walks on my lunchbreak just to get more steps in. I average between 15k-20k steps a day. On mornings I run, I make a point to get 12k steps in before I even get to the office. Additionally, I have started to park at the very back of the lot whenever I go to the store. It has really changed my habits in this way.

I love the silent alarm!

I don't use the sleep tracker. I tried, but I was not great at putting it into sleep mode and I didn't find that info all that interesting anyway. I know when I'm restless!

It does not really track the miles I travel very well, but I have not measured my stride (walking and running), so I can't really say much about that. I just care about the number of steps I take a day. I have other methods to track how long and fast I'm running.

Bottom line is that I really like this thing.
  • victoriahunt93
    victoriahunt93 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have the fitbit one and I LOVE it. Its so accurate and the interactive website is amazing for setting goals, competing with friends, and keeping track of your progress. Now that I've had mine and been using it for so long, I seriously can't believe that I only paid $100 for it. It is a priceless tool and it will completely change the way you view your own fitness.

Get it. Seriously. You'll love it.
  • Submariner5
    Options
    Thanks to everyone here for taking the time to post your experiences. We were about to get my son the Nike Fuelband, but I figured I would check to see what the MFP community had to say first. He's getting a Fitbit Force for Christmas instead!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A lot of the reviews mention the Fuelband doesn't allow users to even manually enter non-tracked activity, so if you track your various exercise, that's a big lack.

Another vote for the Fitbit One.