Anyone grow their own fruit and veg?

Options
I grow pumpkin, brocolli, potatoes and strawberries.

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    I grow...
    tomatoes
    okra
    green beans
    carrots
    beets
    onions
    Lima beans
    pumpkins
    yellow squash
    lettuce

parsley
    italian parsley
    dill
    spearmint
    coriander
    tarragon
    sage
    chives

and

Figs.
  • messyhare
    messyhare Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    We had such a crappy summer that my garden didn't produce well at all!! I have a TON of tomatoes but only a few ever made it to red, I'm left with nothing but lovely green ones.

I attempted to grow tomatoes, various peppers, zukes, cukes, jalapenos, several herbs - I guess all but the toms did ok. We also planted strawberries and raspberries and I'm still getting a handful every day or so of raspberries. They are amazing and I highly recommend planting them - they produce first year and only get better each year after.

Next year will be better I hope!
  • egbkid
    egbkid Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If all you got were green tomatoes, you should try making chow chow. It is a green tomato pickle, my mom makes oodles of it every summer (i warn you,though, it smells like dirty feet while cooking).

When i was in the country, i grew potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, beets, radishes, peas, squash, pumpkins, onions and corn. I had to move to the city last year, so i tried a window sill garden this summer,I had lettuce, carrots, peas, strawberries and radishes, as well as mint and parsley.

The only things that really took were the peas and lettuce. The radishes and carrots, i think were in to small containers. The strawberry seeds grew 4 plants, i divided them and gave one to my nephew, his grew like wildfire, mine stayed mini with no fruit.

I am hoping to be able to have a proper garden next year, even if it means moving again!!
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't live anywhere conducive for growing stuff, but my parents have two ample gardens -- does that count if I get more summer squash and zucchini than I know what to do with every year from them? :happy:

They're big on winter squash, which isn't high on my list of favorite foods. I do like the brussel sprouts, cabbage, tomatoes, broccoli and cauliflower, peas, peppers, carrots, and varieties of onions they grow. Mum usually has all of the lettuce and spinach gone before I get home for a visit. :cry:

Edit: They also have black raspberries by virtue of the plants fall over from one side of the fence into their yard. Whereas it's the stinkiest spot in the yard to pick (the bushes are right next to the compost pile), it also makes for ginormous berries with all that fertilizer.
  • Rubycherries
    Options
    I do not grow my own fruit and veggie. I have 2 dogs who loved veggies and they would probably destroy the garden to get a lil snack. So i steal them from my mom's garden.

She growns : Potatoes, Green/Yellow Peppers, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, green beans, onions and carrots.
    Fruits: Strawberry, Blueberry, Apples and Rhubarb.

Thanks mom! :laugh:
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    I tried this year (first year) to grow tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli & celery.

I actually grew tomatoes and zucchini. The zukes got so big (6x6x6) that they crowded out all the peppers and 3 cauliflower. I've had tons of tomatoes though, celery was amazing and about 90 zucchini. My broccoli, I've had one head so far (it was more like 3 florets) and my cauliflower is the size of a single floret - that should make for an interesting dinner - who wants to have the cauliflower tonight?
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    I grow...
    tomatoes
    okra
    green beans
    carrots
    beets
    onions
    Lima beans
    pumpkins
    yellow squash
    lettuce

parsley
    italian parsley
    dill
    spearmint
    coriander
    tarragon
    sage
    chives

and

Figs.
    WOW! That is terrific!!
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    We are actually in the process of planning out our backyard! We have a huge yard here in So. Cal. So far we have a peach tree planted that seems like its going to be fine. I have recently purchased the topsy turvey for tomatoes and strawberries. We are going to plant a garden in the coming year, which I plan on putting some spinach, romaine lettuce, maybe some squash and/or zuchinni, green beans maybe some corn as well. We are also going to have CHICKENS!! I can't wait for fresh eggs! Gotta build the coop first though :)
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Grape tomatos went crazy, beefsteak were a waste of soil, splitting and rotting on the vine, though I've still got a few shots before first frost.

Basil, 2 different varieties of rosemary, chocolate mint, and stevia. I'm going to try to overwinter everything but the tomatos. I also want to plant lettuce, brocolli and cabbage, the only problem is we are in an apartment and our area to plant gets only partial sun.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Hey!

Each year I get better about keeping things alive!

This year I grew:
    Cherry tomatoes
    Beefsteak tomatoes
    Raspberries
    Cucumbers
    Corn
    Bell peppers
    Garlic

Parsley
    Cilantro
    Chives
    Thyme
    Oregano
    Rosemary

I also have two apple trees which haven't produced yet but will probably next year :-)

and all of my produce is grown organically :-)

-Chancy
    Fitwithchancy.com
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i grow:

tomatoes
    orange peppers
    jalapeno peppers
    green beans
    cucumbers
    carrots
    onions
    sweet corn

basil
    parsley
    dill
    chives
    mint
    lemon verbena
    stevia
    garlic

apples
    peaches
    plums
    raspberries
    blackberries
    strawberries (june-bearing)

we tried growing blueberries but every single plant died. next year, i want to add zucchini, summer squash, apricots, cantelope and potatoes.
  • muth3rluvx2
    muth3rluvx2 Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I've been playing with urban gardening for a few years. Attempts (some successful, some not - and it tends ot vary each year - go figure):

roma tomatoes
    corn
    potatoes
    carrots
    winter peas
    yellow squash
    pumpkin
    acorn squash
    canteloupe
    watermelon
    lettuce
    basil
    onion
    parsley
    cilantro
    broccoli
    cauliflower
    cucumber

and probably a few others that I'm forgetting.

I have to move my garden from the backyard to the side-yard. I don't get enough sun to do a gianormous oak tree - so needless to say, I think the majority of my produce has failed for this reason. :-( Oh well. Speakign of which, I am suddenly feeling the urge to go out and work on prepping that part of my yard for the spring... hmm... wonder what that's about??? ;-)
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I tried to grow tomatoes in baskets in my yard this year. They were pathetic. The poor little plants squeezed out what they could and died. I was told you could just throw the plants into manure and they'd be fun. Uh... nope. Next year I'll go for deeper buckets, better soil, maybe a better kind of tomato plant.
    Every year I plant in our community garden. It is an organic garden. Our plot is about 4' by 12'.
    What did well:
    snow peas (second planting)
    yellow beans
    sunflowers (can't really eat them)
    carrots
    all kinds of herbs
    lettuces
    green peppers

What failed:
    squashes of all kinds were pathetic. Not sure why.
    zucchini... I think an animal got them
    cuke: see zukes
    beets - no clue what happened
    onions - see beets

We couldn't grow tomatoes. Usually my tomatoes fluorish. But we had a blight somewhere else in the garden last year so no one was alllowed to grow them this year. Hopefully we can grow them again next year.

We have huge pumpkins in the community part of the garden.

Eventually I want to get rhubarb and various berries going in my yard.

I keep trying to grow in the community garden to support the cause.

We are also members of a Community Sustainable Agriculture (CSA) farm and get weekly veggies from May through November.

They grow:
    corn
    kohlrabi
    fennel
    carrots
    beets beets beets ad nauseum
    summer and winter squashes
    tomatoes
    peas and beans
    celery
    cukes
    lettuce
    spinach
    bock choy (sp?)
    onions
    parsnips
    anything they can get to grow. I fergit.

So yeah... lots of fresh stuff.

Big local products are blueberries and cranberries so I buy lots and freeze.

Nuff said ;)
  • dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I tried gardening for the first time this year. I grew:
    Tomatoes
    broccoli
    peppers
    zuchini
    cucumbers
    and strawberries.

I had so much fun I am planning to add on to the garden next year. I would also like to try a window ledge herb garden.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    We had such a crappy summer that my garden didn't produce well at all!! I have a TON of tomatoes but only a few ever made it to red, I'm left with nothing but lovely green ones.

I attempted to grow tomatoes, various peppers, zukes, cukes, jalapenos, several herbs - I guess all but the toms did ok. We also planted strawberries and raspberries and I'm still getting a handful every day or so of raspberries. They are amazing and I highly recommend planting them - they produce first year and only get better each year after.

Next year will be better I hope!

My tomatoes weren't turning red for a while, I think it was the dry weather. I went out and pruned off all of the vine branches that only had flowers or had small, crappy green tomatoes and then I watered the plants deeply. After that, the tomatoes started turning red and I've gotten lots of ripe ones.

Also, in a few weeks, I will pick ALL of my green tomatoes and put them someplace with a couple of ripe tomatoes and the green ones will ripen. Last year, I had fresh tomatoes well into November. The texture of the tomatoes that you ripen OFF the vine is not quite as delicious as vine ripened, but it is totally better than store bought.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    I planted zucchini, tomatoes, green peppers, cucumbers, green beans, some basil, parsley, rosemary and strawberries.

All that grew were 2 small little zucchinis, grean beans, and a plethora of tomatos. We might get a green pepper or 2 out of the garden still.

Next year I am going to make some changes and hopefully get a better outcome.
  • ellie_may12
    Options
    Currently I have in the garden:

Left over from the spring garden:
    eggplant
    bell peppers
    jalapeno peppers
    pink eye purple hull peas...which I mostly feed to the chickens
    okra
    sweet potatoes
    basil
    rosemary

Just started for fall:
    onions
    garlic
    cabbage
    broccoli
    carrots
    celery
    snow peas
    English peas
    mustard greens
    beets
    kohrabi
    lettuce
    turnips
    roma tomatoes

I also have:
    a fig tree
    3 blueberry bushes
    a lemon tree
    a kumquat tree
    and a mystery citrus tree that I got from friend who moved away.

I also grow zucchini, squash, loufa, cushaw squash, cucumbers, and tomatoes