Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Safe strength training for heart patients?

citizenstarr
citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello everybody! I need help and don't even know where to start with this problem. I've lost 20lbs so far on my weight loss journey but for the past 2 months I've hit a plateau. My diet advisor suggested that I start strength training but I was born with a congenital heart disease that leaves me unable to lift heavy objects that cause strain. She isn't a personal trainer so she didn't have much advice for me other than using light weights.

The problem is I have never strength trained before because I have lived with this restriction for my entire life. I don't even know where to begin. Don't worry - I've been cleared by my cardiologist to exercise aside from this one restriction of no *heavy* lifting. What I need is some safe, light weight strength workouts and that is where I get lost. If anyone has advice, recommendations for videos or websites for safe workouts, or ideas I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you :heart:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Being in the same boat you are, first off when you do your walking, carry some 1 or 2 lb weights. Do simple excerises with them. you may want to look up they kinds best for you, but just carring them and curling them now and then is a great start.
  • If you look at the British Heart Foundation website they have some fab exercise tips for heart patients xxx
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Im not a professional, and since your doctor cleared you for certain exercies, but limited you on picking up weights, start out with carido, then work towards machines

The tread mill was my friend and really made a huge dent in the amount of pounds lost, then I went to the stationary bycycle. Then I am now in the process of using the weight machines, the bi / tri flex at the gym, they are just equipment that you use to help tone up flab and build muscle

I dont weight lift, and Ive made lots of progress. again, Im not a professional, but maybe the doctor has a list of exercises that you can perform and still stay within your comfort zone with exercise. So sorry about your medical condition, but lots of folks here have some issues as well. I have exercise induced asthma, and the symptoms of this are slowly dissapaiting as I continue to eat well, lose weight and exercise
    I hope your health will improve as well.......Good Luck, Lloyd
  • citizenstarr
    citizenstarr Posts: 13 Member
    Thank you very much for the info so far. I have been friends with the treadmill for months now lol but I can definitely start carrying weights as I do it! That is a great idea :) Next time I see my cardiologist I will ask about any exercises he recommends. A friend of mine just brought up pilates today as strength training which I think is another great idea. It's strength training with nothing but your body weight so it sounds like a winner to me. I feel much better about this issue now that I have some ideas & somewhere to start!
This discussion has been closed.