breast reduction

Options
Ok so I have been thinking about this for many years and is seriously considering this. If anyone out there has advice or input sure would like to hear it. I have lost 38 lbs so far and not one ounce in my breast. I have chronic back pain and shoulder pain so I'm thinking this will help alot! Just alittle nervous about such a drastic procedure.

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I had one when I was 21 (about 18 years ago) and it was the best thing I've ever done.

Some problems -
    I had it young and had kids afterward. I could still breastfeed but not well enough to sustain them so I had to supplement.
    Also, there is a great chance you can lose sensation in the nipples (I didn't and I bet they have better procedures now).
    Lastly, there is major scaring but I'm past that and it was worth it.

Pros:
    OMG - no back/shoulder pain
    bras fit
    better movement

PLEASE wait until you are at your bottom weight and want to go no lower. I was a bigger girl when I had it done. I was taken to a c+ and when I lost weight went to a b- lol.
  • ambercole
    Options
    Hopefully I'm not prying to much, but what bra size are you and how much do you have left to lose?
  • AndreeT
    AndreeT Posts: 191
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I too have been thinking about this for a while now. I've lived with chronic back, shoulder and neck pain for a while now and I am even at the point now that I have chronic rib subluxations. I beleive 100% that it is due to wrong fiting bras for the size of my 'girls' causing me bad posture. I've recently purchased a horrible looking posture bras. Laughed when I put it on but wow what a difference in back pain! I have lost a total of 32lbs so far and not one ounce on my breast! I still need to lose quite a bit and in the process I am planning on having a baby (or two)....I was thinking of a breast reduction after my breastfeeding days and after I can get myself to a healthy weight range.

Would love to hear more pros/cons on this matter

Thanks again!!

:flowerforyou:
  • ladyff1481
    Options
    I had my breast reduction surgery 10 years before I lost 90 lbs with gastric bypass. They looked so great before the surgery now that I've lost the weight they are flabby and sagging. Wait until you've lost your weight and have stabilized before you have the surgery.
  • hismuse
    hismuse Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I got a reduction when I was 15 years old but then that was more than 15 years ago. I'm not sure if what I went through would be relevant now except that it is still the best decision I've ever made.
  • vdub88
    Options
    I had this done about 10 years ago now. I was 29. Back pain was my readon I was a 46DD. I'm now a 44B. It was one of the happiest days of my life in comparision to my kids. I gladly would do it again and I highly recommend it for those that are seriously needing it and considering it.

I did not have any complications. There is the concern with loosing sensation but to be honest I gained sensation (Yahoo - I never knew what I had been missing!!) :bigsmile: Scaring is a small issue. I was and still am single - No man I have ever dated in 10 years has ever made a comment about the scars. My scars are under my breasts and honestly I don't notice them.

If you are considering it - go to a consultation - get the facts and then make your decision. I do not regret mine!
  • browneyedmom
    Options
    I had mine about 6 years ago, and while I am happy I had it done I wish I would have done more research prior to. My Dr did not do such a great job and actually I am lopsided now and was not before. Her perception was that one side was already bigger. Maybe so but I never noticed before, but now I can really tell in a swimsuit. I later met a girl who used the same Dr and we both have (had, she had hers fixed!) terrible scars. I expected scars but we have what another dr has referred to as dog ears on the sides. After going through all the pre-op and being told it was covered under my insurance after the surgery we found out that there was a clause that did not allow breast reductions. I highly recommend one but just make sure you chose your Dr wisely, not just with the pictures they show you in the office, but ask around and see if there was someone who had the procedure that he/she is not using as a reference.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I had my breast reduction in December of 2007, so coming up on my 3 year anniversary, hehe. I would echo what everyone else has said - it was one of the best decisions I ever made, and I am happy I did it every day. I did not lose weight before having the surgery. I did lose 50 pounds last year, gained 30 back, and am now working on losing again. I didn't notice any sagging when I was at 200 lbs, and my goal weight is 165/170, so I doubt there will be much when I get there.

If you decide to get it done, make sure you research your surgeons, and ask to see pictures of their work. Find out if your insurance will cover it (mine did). Make sure you have someone to take care of you the week after the surgery, haha. You won't be allowed to pick up anything over 5 pounds. You will have tubes coming out of your sides with blood clots draining that you will need to empty and measure a few times a day. (You also won't be able to shower for the week you have the tubes, so having someone around to wash your hair over the tub is great, LOL.) You will have internal stitches that will work their way out of your body for about 6 months after the surgery. Some, you might have to go back to have removed.

You will have some significant scarring. For me, living with a few scars is far better than living in pain every day. I don't even really notice them anymore. They are just part of who I am now.

For me, I don't think I could have waited til I lost weight. Exercise was excrutiating, and I LOVED running - but running more than a mile or two made my back hurt for a week. No thank you! I am happy to answer any questions you might have about it all. I have never once regretted my decision. =)
  • Mandie1120
    Mandie1120 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think if you should wait until you have gotten down to your target weight. My boobs were great when I was pregnant and full and bouncy when I stopped and lost the weight and the milk they are just not the same. Its like they are tired and want to rest on my thighs and take a break :( You dont want that hun... trust me. My friend lost about 60 lbs and then got the surgery and her boobs went from 45 to 20 years old!! woo hoo. She is so happy now and not because she thinks she looks good (im sure that is part of it) But it was because of the change that took place in herself for putting in the work to loose the weight and actually going through with the surgery. Its a scary experience unless you have friends like me to hold your hand <3 She is happy though... no more back pain and the whole nine yards. ***** A warning though.... she then went and spent about $300 on bras from Victorias Secret.... Be careful ;)
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Current bra 42 DDD and I just ordered a 42F cause the ladies want to come out the top all the time drives me nuts. I still have another 60 lbs to go. Not in a huge hurry to do it. So I will wait until I reach my goal weight and see were I am. Although I am in a hurry to get rid of this shoulder pain.