Why am I so thirsty?

Options
Is it normal to be extremely thirsty after a high intensity workout? I was sweating something fierce today during my cardio exercises today. And now, it feels like I can't drink enough water. This is the first time that this has happened.

Replies

• Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    It's normal to be thirsty after exercising. Unless it's an on going problem you shouldn't be too worried about it.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Could be that you were really dehydrated before your workout and by sweating so much your body was telling you something. I try to drink lots of water prior to starting my routine, it helps not making me feel so drained and parched during my routine..
  • ews65
    ews65 Posts: 2
    Options
    What did you eat last? Too much salt? I drink water while I am exercising......actually always have water with me. I wouldn't worry about it. But do drink more water. :-)
  • FP4HSharon
    FP4HSharon Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    If it's just after a workout, it's normal. But if you start to feel that way all the time....constantly being thirsty...then you might want to see a doctor to make sure you're not diabetic.
  • luckynky
    luckynky Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Some things that could affect your thirst are: hydration levels before exercising, and also hormones, toxins, and excess sodium in your blood that have to be flushed out of your system via your liver (fat clings to many of these, so when you burn fat, you also have to clean out toxins and excess hormones). Also, perhaps you're working out more intensely this time.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I think there are worse things you could be after a workout! Your body is probably just telling you that you need to hydrate. Try drinking a little more an hour or two before your workout next time, see what happens.
  • nairedavis
    Options
    Yeah, I do. I try not to drink a lot before because I sometimes start cramping. But throughout the workout I do, but not a lot. Maybe I should drink more, possibly?
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Could be worth getting a diabetes test, just to be safe.

It's usually pretty normal to sweat after/during an intense cardio session, then you need to drink water to replenish yourself.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water about 2 hours before your workout.