Cannot Lose the weight

Options
Hi I have been recording my exercise and eating habits since the 12/07/2013 as I was advised by my Doctor to reduce my Cholesterol levels, which are high due to my under active thyroid, this problem has also caused me to have gallbladder enlargement, excessive bloating, if i eat the wrong thing my waist can increase by 10 cm. All my life I have been slim, I am 171 cm and currently weigh 80.1 kg, at my slimmest I weighed 39.8 kg which I know is underweight, I had recently been through personal problems. When I started I was 82.9, 3 days ago I was 79.1 kg. My illness has caused my metabolism to slow down, so I eat foods to increase metabolism, reduce effect of gallbladder, I eat no fatty foods, no fried foods, no cakes or biscuits, no crisps, no processed foods, lots of Tuna and Salmon and other Fish. I exercise twice a day walking on average between 6-8 km. I am not desperately unhappy with my size as I am a large frame, I just want to lose a little weight and stop the bloating and have my energy levels back.
Anyone have any suggestion :)

Replies

• Lroppolo
    Lroppolo Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have thyroid disease and can relate to your story. First, are you being medicated for your underactive thyroid? The most important part here is to make sure you are getting enough of the replacement medication. Even if you are medicated, but still experiencing hypo symptoms, you may not have enough medication. Your doctor should be testing your blood with the following tests: TSH, t4, t3, reverse t3. Going by TSH alone is not a good indicator of thyroid health. Second, most people who are underactive also are very low in Vitamin D, so you might want to ask your doctor to test that as well if you haven't already. Vit D is essential for metabolism. It acts more like a hormone than a vitamin.

Second, many people with thyroid disease also develop gallbladder issues, so the two are related. I've had mine out; it was packed with stones and too far gone to do anything about. I don't have a problem with my digestion after having it out. My body seems to be making enough bile without it, but sometimes my liver enzymes are slightly elevated. My doctor isn't concerned because it is just because of not having a gallbladder.

Losing weight has been difficult with this disease. I went undiagnosed for a while and my old doctor had been under medicating me for years, never tested my Vit D etc. After 14 years, I've finally found a more progressive doctor and she has helped me a lot. Everything is good now except for the weight. What I was told is that you need moderate exercise and not to over do it, because you will stress your adrenals and actually cause your body to go deeper into hypo state. It is a delicate balancing act. The best I've found is doing yoga, pilates and weight lifting. I'm really good at cardio, but too much and for too long stresses your body. Hope this helps and hope others with similar issues are able to chime in as well!
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food and logging it as accurately as you can or just trying to make healthier choices?
  • knabstruppe
    Options
    Hi yes doing it properly,even started 30 day shred yesterday
  • knabstruppe
    Options
    Hi, back in October I was tested for all levels, however the last time only for T4 which is rising again, I am due back for another blood test in 3 months. I have had 4 Ultrasounds, which showed an enlarged gallbladder, bile duct was clear and free of stones, so I am trying to eat healthily for both problems. My autoimmune system readings were extremely high as was my cholesterol, finding it a nightmare, what is healthy for one problem aggravates the other. Initially I wanted to reduce the excessive bloating after eating, that I seem to have under control most of the time. :(
  • knabstruppe
    Options
    Hi sorry forgot to mention yes I am being medicated
  • TylerB1982
    TylerB1982 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your troubles. Try not to give up and try to keep searching for a solution both medically and naturally to help with your condition. Best of luck to you!