Puffy eyes WILL NOT go away!Poss health issues?Please read!

rhodigs
rhodigs Posts: 11 Member
Hello! I'm only posting about this here because I'm completely at my wits end with this problem and I'm desperate for any advice or just to know that somebody else has had this problem and I'm not alone (and I apologize for probably posting this in the wrong section) Ok, I have VERY puffy eyes. Bags underneath and puffiness on top. I constantly look like I've been on a bender for the past 20 years and I'm literally to the point where I start tearing up when I look in the mirror. I'm 27 and I look like a 60 year old alcoholic. I have no itchiness or any allergy symptoms whatsoever. Physically, I feel fine. Same as always. I DO retain water like a beast though. I don't know if it's different than usual but I'll hold on to water for apparently no reason. I can fluctuate by 7 lbs from day to day, and how much water I drink seems to have zero effect. I have no idea if that's normal. I'm guessing not. And I feel like I should point out that the eye puffiness doesn't change. Period. It's persistent regardless of my water retention.

I noticed the puffy eyes starting about 6-8 months ago, after my boyfriend and I moved in together, but other than moving I haven't changed a THING. I have pets - a dog (his) and a cat (mine), but have never been known to have dander allergies and, like I said, no other allergy symptoms present. I've taken all sorts of allergy meds for weeks at a time and nothing changes. I DO have a gluten intolerance, which I have been ignoring for the past year (stupid, I know), and just recently quit both gluten and dairy. Has anyone had this symptom with gluten or dairy intolerance? I have never had this problem before, I don't see why I would have it now but hey, **** happens I guess. I would be stoked if it would clear itself up on its own but I'm not holding my breath.

I went to a doctor a couple weeks ago about my puffy eyes and he ran a blood test that said something was slightly off about my liver and gall bladder and that my TSH levels were love but T3 and T4 are normal indicating possible subclinical hyperthyroidism (I have yet to see an endo). However, I can't find a THING that says myxedema (or eye puffiness) is a symptom of this. Rather, it seems to be a symptom of hypOthyroidism. And to top off my frustration, despite my possible sub hyper, I can't loos a friggin POUND. I NEVER eat over my calories, have quit gluten completely ( pretty much grains, corn and white potatoes altogether, actually) as well as dairy (my mom is dairy and gluten intolerant - I figured it can't hurt to quit both). I eat lean meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and some complex carbs and exercise (cardio and weight lifting) 3-6 times a week and I can't lose. Actually I've managed to GAIN 15 pounds this year. What is going on here??? Has anybody gone through this? Should I have my kidneys checked? Am I allergic to my dog? Do I have mold lurking in the walls? Am I allergic to my boyfriend? Do I have hard water (GASP!)? Wtf I'm going crazy and all of this is taking a toll on my self confidence. If anybody has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. Thanks so much for letting me rant and complain fellow myfitnesspal-ers! I'm looking forward to hearing what you all have to say!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Start with an allergy doctor and get tested. You can develope an allergy to anything at any time in your life.
  • rhodigs
    Yes, I've been thinking I need to do that! The only problem is that I don't have insurance. Or money, haha. I saw the doctor at my university. If it is an allergy though, why wouldn't I have any other symptoms? Like itchy eyes or sneezing? It's weird.

Also, I just wanted to say before I get a flood of "decrease sodium and increase water" that I drink a frack-ton of water everyday. I'm neurotic about it. I also cook nearly every single meal at home (no pre-made foods) so I know exactly how much sodium I'm taking in and it isn't much. A pinch of salt here and there for flavor and that's it. :(
  • rhodigs
    So... nobody else then?
  • annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Are you sure it's not just a genetic thing? Do your parents or other family members have this?
    They could be fat pads under and above the eyes possibly which are showing up more as you get older? If so, thermage could help but I hear it is expensive.
    I feel you though... super annoying and even worse when you can't get proper answers!
    Maybe try to see a dermatologist?
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Eh, If it was an allergy symptom then the medicine would have helped alleviate the puffiness. perhaps try massaging the areas? Did you try googling similar experiences?
  • rhodigs
    Annasor - Yea, I'm sure. They just puffed up one day and never went down. And they're puffy, like, you can tell there's fluid in there on my top and bottom lids, not just "fatty" as you would see from aging. Yes, super frustrating! That's a good idea about the dermatologist - I hadn't thought of that. I'll check into it! Thank you!

Dakotababy - Omg I've tried everything haha! Creams, eye rollers, tea bags, coffee grounds, cold spoons, ice, aloe vera, massage - you name it, I've probably put in on my face haha. I've spent hours on the computer trying to find any possibility which is why I've gotten so frustrated and ended up posting here. I was hoping maybe somebody has had a similar experience :/ Do you think the medicine would've helped if it was a dog allergy? I've never had allergies to anything that I know of so I'm pretty naive in the world of allergens and medication. I'm wondering if it has to do with any food-allergy related issues which is why I want to see an allergist.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Fellow thyroid issue sufferer here. Your body can exhibit signs of hypOthyroidism, despite being in the hypER TSH range. It might be on the down swing of your thyroid gland sputtering out. At this point, you'll be told to watch and wait, and have blood redrawn in several weeks to see if your levels change at all. It sucks, and it's frustrating, but hang in there!
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Hi not everything is diet or allergy related. If your bloods are off there maybe an underlying medical cause. Can you get an appointment with an endo or is a lack of insurance problem?
  • gebhart4
    gebhart4 Posts: 24 Member
    Could be an immune system issue. I used to get the same thing happen to me. Get a blood test, go to an allergist, and get medicine. Good luck!
  • dbm037
    dbm037 Posts: 125 Member
    I mean really..go to the doctor. Best of luck
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    I would not read all you wrote but I suggest researching on YouTube and then checking out Naturopathic Doctors. On YouTube check out Dr. Morse. I'll tell ya right now if you eat ANY TYPE of FLESH, ANY DAIRY and Refined Starches you first have to give that stuff up. Medical Doctors are NOT in the business of WELLNESS/HEALTH, so begin your WELLNESS JOURNEY NOW, Not just wt loss.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Like this?

http://dc184.4shared.com/doc/6sDG14xk/preview_html_ed58dc8.jpg

(Image is too large to embed and I'm too lazy to create a photobucket account and resize it, sorry.)

I know the doc said your TSH levels are low and T4 to T3 ratio is normal. My doc said I was "in range" on all numbers. But we all know every person is different. I went to 4 different doctors over the course of 2 years. I quit wearing makeup and wore a ponytail every day because I would start crying when I looked in a mirror and saw this suddenly old woman looking back at me. The 4th doctor did bloodwork just like the rest, but he compared my numbers to the 3 previous tests over the past couple of years and saw that even though I was "in range" my numbers were indeed shifting. All 4 lab results were fine independently, but when you looked at the progression, you could see my T4 slowly dropping and TSH slowly increasing, all within normal range still, but the balance between the 3 numbers was showing onset of hypothyroidism. He put me on meds and the bags are dramatically decreased, the jowl isn't as droopy, and I've lost 35 of the 50 I gained. There were many other symptoms I didn't realize were related such as brittle fingernails, dry skin, hair becoming thinner and more coarse/wiry, extreme fatigue, depression which I thought was related to feeling so bad about how I looked, and a weird but common one - the last outer 1/3 of your eyebrows become so thin you can barely see them.

That photo is a woman diagnosed (left) and 10 months after starting on hormones (right). She's actually older in the right photo!

If you were given a copy of your labwork, message me with the numbers for your TSH, T3 and T4.
  • Annie984
    Annie984 Posts: 42
    I am not a doctor so I cant tell you whats wrong, but I can tell you what happened to me in 2007. Out of no where in 2007 my eyes got swollen but on the bottom not on top, I was miserable because it change my face features,I also had mild swollen hands and they checked me for everything and nothing came back abnormal, so one day my friend told me about something similar and she told me to get out the house and try to change everything I use for one week and I did, me and my husband stayed at a hotel for a week , away from the cat, birds and everything, by the third day the swelling was going down.. we stayed the 7 days and when I went back home again it happened and it turned out the I was allergic to the cat. I miss the cat, we had her for 4 years and never I had a problem and suddenly now I cant even be around cats. Im not saying its your cat but maybe there is something making you have an allergic reaction and maybe you can go away for a couple of days and see it that helps?if you see improvement then you know its something in the place you live and you will have to start breaking it down to find out what it is. I also agree with the others that anyways to go see the doctor so they can look into this problem to make sure its not something else. Best of Luck
  • deeW61
    deeW61 Posts: 1 Member
    It does sound like hypo. I've had my thyroid removed due to cancer. It's been 6 years and it's still hard to get weight off. I definitely would get your levels checked again by an endo. Also, puffy eyes can also mean your platelets are low or you could have kidney issues. It's something not to mess around with so get a physical. Or....it could be simply some form of allergy. Dee