5'9 & 110 lbs..

Options
I've been really struggling with putting on weight and getting to a healthy BMI. I've been eating around 1,300 - 1,500 calories but I'm really confused w/ the TDEE calculations (clearly!) And I have no idea how many calories I should be taking in to gain at a reasonable pace..

I'm beginning to see how low 1,300 - 1,500 is, but MFP has me down for 1,690??
I really don't want to lose more weight! So I'm feeling kind of desperate!

Replies

• doIlhands
    doIlhands Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    You definately need to eat more than that to gain weight. Use this calculator to calculate how much you need to eat. Set it to Clean Bulk and you'll gain .5lbs/week. Im guessing its probably around 2k for you.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • coffee_fiend
    coffee_fiend Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ah, very helpful! Thank you!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 160lbs. I had to eat 3000 calories a day to gain weight (I went from 150 to 160).

Start w/ 2000. Keep adding 200 calories every 2 weeks until you gain what you want.
  • Fithealthyforlife
    Fithealthyforlife Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    There is no way to predict how many calories you're going to need, since everyone is different. I'm a guy and am the same height as you, and roughly 30 lbs heavier, so we're both starting out from a very similar level of underweight.

That said, I've found on average, women of my height and weight need 400-500 less calories per day than I do. Since you're starting at a lower weight, that difference would increase by a couple hundred more...say 700-800 calories less when all is said and done.

I'm eating an average of 3300 or so per day to gain weight, depending on amount of exercise. So using my quick and dirty rule of thumb, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up needing at least 2500 calories a day to gain half a pound per week.

Don't go by this though! Use the calculators and your own experience as a guide. But don't be surprised if you do end up needing roughly 2500-2700 per day to start gaining. But like everyone has said, the best thing you can do is increase slowly, starting at the level you're eating now.

***That said, if you ever feel hungry after eating all your calories for the day, you'll want to eat some more. This happens to me at times, and I might overshoot my currently targeted surplus level by 60% on some days.
  • chrisnawrot
    Options
    At 6'2'', I was 133 lbs. nearly 2 years ago. With a diet of approximately 2,350 calories per day and strength training with a personal trainer (with minor cardio) 2 or 3 times per week for half an hour each session, I am now 154 lbs. I was not always consistent with my diet (sometimes under, occasionally way over.)

A calculator is fine for a rough estimate of what you need per day, but you will need to learn to listen to your body. If you can, get fitness and nourishment recommendations from a trainer or a nutritionist.

Personally, I could stuff as many calories as I wanted to into my body and I would not see much weight-gain. Strength training is the only thing that helps me gain weight. If it works for you, you'll see several gains rather quickly because proper training targets muscles that you never use.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm a lightly active 5'3" 42 year old woman maintaining at 110 pounds (good for my height!) and I eat an average of 1700 calories per day. You'll definitely need to eat more than that - I'd suggest over 2,000 at this point? What is your goal weight? 130? 135? You can do it. If you have trouble eating that much, go for the full fat, higher density foods like peanut butter, avocados...heck, just peanuts themselves should help out immensely! :)
  • cacaoginger
    Options
    Last year I weighed 100lbs at 5ft7 so a similar level of underweight to you and I had to eat at least 2700 each day and I gained very slowly on that! 10 months later I weigh 120 and am feeling much healthier and maintaining on about 2300 each day :) I ate calorie dense food like adding in a couple tbsp nut butters and handfuls of nuts. 3 meals and 3 snacks so I wasn't eating a big amount of food in one go and also drinking milk, juice and smoothie helped get the calories in. Avacado, hummus and pesto are also high calorie healthy things to include in your meals. Good luck!
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat; you're eating FAR too little. I'm 5 foot 9 and anywhere between 105-110 because I MAINTAIN at about 2100, and that's if I don't exercise. Everyone in my family is the same, so people like us have to be very cautious of what we put in our bodies. Just as people who are prone to weight gain seem to put on weight quickly, we lose weight quickly. I know for myself if I even go a couple of lazy days without hitting AT LEAST 1800, I'll lose. Treat your body with the fuel it needs; you need to be eating more.
  • dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't get that Scooby calculator. I should be able to add 500 calories to BMR to gain weight. It has +1000 calories just to maintain it. What?! I had a different calculation using the Harris Benedict equation, with which I saw results gaining and losing weight.

You can look into a weight gainer protein powder. 1-3 scoops = 450-1000 calories. It's easy and works but you're not eating a whole lot so better to stick to food. 50g of almonds is 400+ calories alone. Send a message if you have more questions on this.

PS doesn't coffee suppress hunger and make people thinner?
  • ddky
    ddky Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am 5'9. I would say at least 2000 a day. At least start there. Good luck to you.
  • sugarkane1234
    sugarkane1234 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't get that Scooby calculator. I should be able to add 500 calories to BMR to gain weight. It has +1000 calories just to maintain it. What?! I had a different calculation using the Harris Benedict equation, with which I saw results gaining and losing weight.

You can look into a weight gainer protein powder. 1-3 scoops = 450-1000 calories. It's easy and works but you're not eating a whole lot so better to stick to food. 50g of almonds is 400+ calories alone. Send a message if you have more questions on this.

PS doesn't coffee suppress hunger and make people thinner?

You should be looking at TDEE, not BMR as your baseline (unless you're in a coma, in which case they would be the same).
  • cacaoginger
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is completely wrong when it comes to calculating needs, go and see your doctor. I was eating 2500 for a good few months thinking this will make me gain and I lost a few pounds! Remember if you're younger you'll need more too. I would just see your doctor, mine referred me to a dietician who gave me a plan for 2700minimum each day and I gained slowly on that.