Weight loss without a gym membership

Options
2»

Replies

• dimam13
    dimam13 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It's very important to track your activity and calorie intake. Without the gym, as someone mentioned you can do DVDs or you can get a fitness tracker like FitBit and of course use MFP to track your calories. You must know what calorie number to shoot for so you don't cross over to the "maintenance" weight range.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have lost 75 lbs. without working out. It's great for health and fitness, but has little to do with weight loss.
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I run and do a body weight exercise program called Body by You. http://www.amazon.com/Body-You-Guide-Womens-Fitness/dp/0345528972/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377817794&sr=8-1&keywords=body+by+you

There's tons of exercise options that don't require a gym. Pick one you think you'll enjoy and eat at a deficit.
  • juniperfox
    juniperfox Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There's a saying, the fight for weight loss starts in the kitchen. Seriously, diet is like 80% of weight loss. You take in more calories than you burn, you're gonna gain weight. Building muscle helps increase the number of calories you burn while resting (RMR - resting metabolic rate). But diet and proper nutrition is the most important thing.

Try reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness, they are big on calisthenics over there which you can do anywhere and without equipment. This is what I do and I love it.
  • healthy4life4mykids
    Options
    There are TONS of workout videos on youtube. If you are just starting exercise, a lot of people have been successful (including myself) in doing Leslie Sansone walking video workouts. She starts you off slowly. It is cardio and core strength. She does 1-5 miles of "walking" which includes side steps, knee lifts, etc., and the more "advanced" videos include light jogging. They burn calories, they get you moving, and get you comfortable with exercising if you haven't done so for a while (myself included).

I started in January and have lost 47 pounds. For the first three months I exclusively did Leslie Sansone videos and it really got me ready for harder stuff like jogging, weight training and zumba.

Good luck!

Youtube is great! Try FitnessBlender's channel, they have full videos for beginners all the way up to crazy advanced tough. Cardio and strength both.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    Run, resistance band strength training and plyometrics.
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have never been to the gym in my entire life and I've lost over 60 pounds. Go pick up some workout dvds from walmart. Go on youtube and find some workouts there. "Lionsgate befit" and "Fitnessblender" are both good channels on youtube for workouts. Go outside and jog. Most importantly, watch what you eat. Gyms are cool and all but not necessary to lose weight.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    As above. Get educated about nutrition and diet. Plenty of stuff on internet. In short, sugar is the devil, eat carbs sensibly, eat lots of fruit, veg, protein etc. Try to get some balance. To lose weight calories in must be less than calories out. Use MfP and log everything, and be honest.
    When I started I watched DVDs on u tube. Some really good 10 minute workouts there. I bought a resistance band and a skipping rope. Later a gym ball and a couple of dumbbells. Walking a half hour a day was a good start. Finally progressed to the gym, now going 2 days out of 3 and I love it.
  • Bobbiezilla
    Bobbiezilla Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    http://backonpointe.tumblr.com/post/15968075542/a-daily-exercise-plan-do-these-exercises

I like these for an everyday workout.... 2 x through is about 20-30 minutes :) And badminton season is starting in a couple of weeks.

I think with fitness and exercise it is most important to just find something you love to do!
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30# just swimming for 30 minutes about 5 days/week. I have a backyard pool, so I had no excuses not to exercise. I have since joined a gym so I could actually swim laps & get a better burn, but I only swim. for now. I will probably do some classes & the machines eventually, but I'm not super motivated to change as long as I'm still losing weight just swimming.
  • KettleTO
    KettleTO Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Someone told me or read weight loss is 80% kitchen and 20% gym. I truly believe that this go at weight loss has been so much more successful for me because I have practice this ratio. Think of the weight loss coming from the food and small extras being earned at the gym (along with muscles,etc.).

Why not start with walking? It is a great time to start because it's cooling down as we move into the fall and there is still enough time to catch the walking bug before winter hits. Once you've lost more weight you could consider a learn to run program. When we are heavy, walking and body weight exercises are pretty effective.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership and don't even use it. I keep it because I got an awesome price of $4.50 a month and if I cancel it jumps up to $34.50 a month! Instead, I walk every night. I take a different path to keep from getting bored. It adds up to about 18 miles a week
  • gracetillman
    gracetillman Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    For the first two months all I did was walk. I would walk for an hour three times per week then four times. I was going at about 3 mph. I also had an exercise ball and some hand weights at 8 lbs each to help tone my arms up. I borrowed a mini-trampoline to do some non-stressful to my knees cardio while I watched tv. I checked out ZUMBA from my local library. I lost more than 15 inches in two months!!

I joined the local gym about 6 weeks ago when they were running a special -- and now I pay $15 per month. BUT because I am paying for it I want to "get my money's worth" so I go at least five times per week.