Fellow cat people - what's wrong with my kitty???

Options
So....... I have 2 cats. One or both of them is peeing just outside their litter box on the floor. We have tried EVERYTHING. I ensure litter is cleaned daily. I cleaned the area with vinegar or other suggested cleaners to rid the smell. I added a feliway diffuser in the room. I added a 2nd litter box in the room. The room is quiet. It's secluded. The cats are best buds, so they don't stress each other out. Both cats have been to the vet recently for check ups - no issues. I'm at a total loss. I'm taking my youngest cat back to the vet Saturday to be 150% sure there's no UTI (I actually caught her yesterday in the act). I just don't know what else to do. Cleaning up pee off the floor on a daily basis is getting bothersome. I just want my kitties to be healthy. What is going on??? Both are fixed females. 11 and 7 years old.

Also a note - I have two dogs. They both like to chase my youngest cat. We're wondering if she's stressed from the chasings? We have been disciplining the dogs to stop the chasings. I am really at the end of my rope wondering what to do.

Replies

• Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    My cat was doing that too. But she did have a UTI. Best to have the vet recheck. Good luck.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    Did the vet check for UTI? If not I'd bring your kitty back for a recheck-those are signs of UTI.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Did the vet check for UTI? If not I'd bring your kitty back for a recheck-those are signs of UTI.

Younger kitty was at Vet on Friday. They said to try the Feliway and then come back for a UTI test. So the Feliway didn't work... we're going back Saturday.
  • EJC33189
    Options
    I am a veterinary technician. It sounds like a UTI from what you are describing. Peeing outside the box is there way of telling you they are trying to be good, but something is wrong. I may also worry about crystals or stones if he/she seems to vocalize. Have your vet do a cystocentesis, U/A, and possible culture. Sounds like antibiotics may be needed. Hope this helps!
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I think if it were stress from the dogs it would be other messes besides just urine. The same with the kitty just being rebellious.
    I think the recent posters are onto something. Sounds like a possible UTI. Good luck.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    I really hope she's ok. I'm worried about both of my cats' health.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    I am a veterinary technician. It sounds like a UTI from what you are describing. Peeing outside the box is there way of telling you they are trying to be good, but something is wrong. I may also worry about crystals or stones if he/she seems to vocalize. Have your vet do a cystocentesis, U/A, and possible culture. Sounds like antibiotics may be needed. Hope this helps!

I want to be a Vet Tech so bad. Instead I got my B.S. in HR Management. :(
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    Hope your kitteh feels better soon!
  • hrmom26
    hrmom26 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem but my fix ended up being, well, ... kind of silly so not sure if it will help but have you actually seen her pee out side the box? i ask this because i had not. i just saw the pee after well like you i did a million things and nothing helped till one day i saw her peeing in the box i stayed quiet and watched and the little darling was just hanging her butt over the edge so she was not doing it on purpose i bought a cat box with sides no more issues

if that does not help try putting the box over the area she is peeing maybe that will redirect her? good luck
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    i had the same problem but my fix ended up being, well, ... kind of silly so not sure if it will help but have you actually seen her pee out side the box? i ask this because i had not. i just saw the pee after well like you i did a million things and nothing helped till one day i saw her peeing in the box i stayed quiet and watched and the little darling was just hanging her butt over the edge so she was not doing it on purpose i bought a cat box with sides no more issues

if that does not help try putting the box over the area she is peeing maybe that will redirect her? good luck

At first we thought the kitty was hanging her butt out. So we bought one of those top loading litter boxes. They used it for awhile but then the pee on the floor started again. I actually witnessed my younger cat peeing on the floor yesterday. No butt hanging..........
  • misstressangel
    misstressangel Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different litter/ and possibly a third box ? I have to agree with the UTI diagnosis,, and it can be easily diagnosed and cured!
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    My cat was doing this forever and my parents simply figured he was misbehaving. One day, I watched him hover over his little box FOR OVER AN HOUR trying to have a movement. His whole body clenched up. He just couldn't.

After I forced them to take him to the vet, we found that he had a severe UTI and what looked like antifreeze poisoning (which freaked us out...we don't keep antifreeze in the house, and he's an oddly natural indoor kitty.)

No matter what your vet says, listen to your cat. They don't have voices, so they can't directly tell you. :/
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I seen something similar on a cat show. The cat was doing it as a territorial/alpha gesture in that case. Might be something to consider with multiple animals around.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    This happened with my sisters cat....her younger one kept peeing on floor, no matter what. She took her to the vet three times and finally the vet said stree from the other cat and told my sister to give her Prozac...she did and it stopped. Hope your kitty gets better
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Have you tried different litter/ and possibly a third box ? I have to agree with the UTI diagnosis,, and it can be easily diagnosed and cured!

We tried a new litter and have a third box in our master bedroom. Our home is a smaller one story ranch. There are two litter boxes in the spare bath. 1 in the master bath.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    This happened with my sisters cat....her younger one kept peeing on floor, no matter what. She took her to the vet three times and finally the vet said stree from the other cat and told my sister to give her Prozac...she did and it stopped. Hope your kitty gets better

Our younger cat is a very anxious and shy kitty. If she needs Prozac I wouldn't be shocked.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If it's not a UTI, it could be bladder sludge. My poor cat was forming stones in his bladder and we didn't know until he started peeing outside of the box.
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    If it's not a UTI, it could be bladder sludge. My poor cat was forming stones in his bladder and we didn't know until he started peeing outside of the box.

It's very frustrating. For the obvious reasons - cleaning up cat pee SUCKS. But also because my cats can't just say "Hey mom, I hurt!"
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    My kitty has done this before from UT, hopefully that is all that is! Good luck at vet! <3
  • LuckyFur
    LuckyFur Posts: 96
    Options
    It's a cat.

It just naturally wants to be a big pain in the @ss.