Depressed and Discouraged =[

Options
So, I use to be on MFP all the time in the beginning of this year. And I ended up losing about 30 something lbs! I went from about 190 to 155 =] Life was great! I was motivated and FINALLY figured out the secret to losing weight! Now, here I am about a year later.. And I have gained ALL the weight back! I am back to 190 =[ I just dont understand! I ate right and exercised like i was supposed to. I got off track for about 5 months and im back up all the weight i worked so hard to lose. So i tried to get back on track at the beginning of this month.. Started Jogging and trying to eat right.. I didnt lose a lb! infact i GAINED 10 =[ I didnt just gain 10.. I did eat bad out of being so discouraged and not caring but OMG. I am so sad and need some help! All i can really do for working out is jogging.. Is this not good enough??? I try 30 min during the week before work and an hour (3 miles) every saturday. Should i try to be doing more?

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You're in a destructive cycle.

"I did eat bad out of being so discouraged and not caring but OMG"

I lost 105 when I was 32 or so. I kept it off a long time and KNEW what I was doing. Then 2 years ago, when my husband died, I allowed myself (ALLOWED MYSELF) not to do it. I gained back 40 pounds. I'm not proud but now I'm mad and am using that anger to motivate myself. You CAN do it. Stop being defiant to yourself and do what you are supposed to. And stop eating out ;-)
  • jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You're in a destructive cycle.

"I did eat bad out of being so discouraged and not caring but OMG"

I lost 105 when I was 32 or so. I kept it off a long time and KNEW what I was doing. Then 2 years ago, when my husband died, I allowed myself (ALLOWED MYSELF) not to do it. I gained back 40 pounds. I'm not proud but now I'm mad and am using that anger to motivate myself. You CAN do it. Stop being defiant to yourself and do what you are supposed to. And stop eating out ;-)

this is true! It is what YOU allow yourself to do! Self discipline is hard to learn! lol.. Thanks for this though! =]
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    No, just be patient...keep doing what you're doing, drink lots of water...it's to soon to see results...it's not instant...it took you how long to gain the weight? it's not going to take a month to lose it all
  • samiko
    Options
    Try just starting it one day at a time and not put so much pressure on yourself ! Focus on one thing first...your DIET....well balanced, even throughout the day with calories. Incorporate a few snacks, and make sure you have a good breakfast. Drink plenty of water and a good night's rest.... Once you have that in order start to incorporate exercise....because your diet is on track, your body will react better to the exercise, and if running is all you can do....do interval training.....jog, sprint, jog, situps, pushups, jog. sprint cool down...see if that helps :)
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight, it was 3 yrs. ago and my first 50 lbs I lost, I felt so great, but fell off the wagon and gained it all back within the same year. I recommitted myself and started losing again 2 yrs. ago and have steadily lost the right way. It is a daily struggle to keep the motivation levels high, but I WILL because life is short and the skinny girl is finally here!! She just has a little bit further to go.

I will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go back to the person I was. Sometimes I have to stop and reflect on this so that I remember why this is so important to me. When those times come that you're not seeing results, you just have to keep going. It will happen. Stay the course! :)
  • RCharlesworth
    Options
    One thing I learned along the way -- you can always start your day over again -- so it is with lifestyle changes. Forget the past and concentrate on what is here and now. Do NOT "beat yourself up" over the weight gain -- that's in the past and you can't change it (no matter how much you might want to). You have already been successful with this site -- so you know it works for you -- and it will again if you are patient. Have faith! Wipe the slate clean and start over again. Then, when you get to your desired weight -- continue using the site -- you can set it for "maintain weight" -- that way you're continuing the lifestyle change that is so important in maintaining your desired weight -- just my opinion -- take it for what its worth...

Hang in there! You CAN do it!
  • lovelypen50
    lovelypen50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing what you are doing. I know about the feelings of depression and feeling down. Life had been great and nothing was going wrong, I had lost about 32 lbs. I felt great, I felt good but started to feel a little blue. I kept pushing and pushing to bring myself out. I kept praying, but it was hard to pray, because I did not know what was wrong. It seem like I was on top of the world one minute and then down the next. I m a fighter, and I just refuse to give up. I felt like I had to fight my way throught this feeling. I started back exercising and my mood improved. I don't know whats going on in your life, but take my word, keep pushing, keep fighting, keep moving, keep praying, and Don't ever ever give up!!!!! Life is much to wonderful. I have learned that there will be storms in your life, and they will come again and again. The key is (Making it through the storm.) Get make on board with this weight loss and with MFP we all will make it to our goals.
  • stringcheeze
    Options
    Can I ask what types of food you ate when you lost that weight before? Was it the typical low-fat, low-calorie (and therefore high-carb because if you're not getting calories from fat, you're getting it from carbs)? If so, seriously consider a low carb approach for this round -- if you're intolerant of carbs (which quite a bit of the population is) you might have better luck not going the typical route.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Well you got off track for five months and you ate bad when you were depressed. There was your problem. Five months is a lot of time being off tract. Not that is doesn't happen but you have to realize WHY you gained it back. You didn't watch what you ate and didn't exercise for quite a while. That's what happened. You can do it but you have to be motivated enough to actually stick with it. You said you could jog a couple times a week. Why not more. Early morning, late evening, afternoon walk, park farther from work, or school. Get in more when you can. Get in the mindset that you will do it. Get motivated to do it. Start now not later.
    YOU CAN DO IT. But only you can do it.
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    what i did when i was in that "destructive" cycle, which was just a month ago, was for one week i logged everything i ate no matter how bad it was. i did this in attempt to be honest with myself and to see what i was really putting in my body. then i just put it behind me and said today is a new day. i started trying to eat at least one serving out of all the food groups in one day and eat more fruits and veggies. i drank lots of water and tried to keep a positive attitude and was not so hard on myself. if i screwed up at one meal/ snack then i put it behind me and tried to do better the rest of the day. after eating better for a week i felt like exercising. getting outside and walking/ jogging helped me feel refreshed and motivated me to keep eating healthy. good luck.
  • Jozie236
    Jozie236 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I gained back about 50-60 lbs I lost two and a half years ago. It's HARD but we can do it.
  • akabob
    Options
    Have you considered doing some strength training or pilates or something using household items? I used to use soup cans for weights and look up videos on youtube for workout ideas. You don't have to just jog...and your body gets used to the same routine over and over so it stops being effective.
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    So i tell myself a lot of different things MAYBE it will help you

1. 'when your about to eat something you know you shouldnt' THINK::: the TASTE of this will ONLY last 5 min in your mouth, BUT will be on your hips for 5 months!!!!

2. Start a new schedule... FIGURE out when you can workout... try to get 8 hours sleep a night!
    for me... I HATE working out after sitting at a desk 9 hours a day... SO i get up at 4 am every day i have to work and JUST DO IT....
    i prep my gym clothes... half awake get dressed... go to the kitchen start drinking water... and make my lunch, by this time im awake... and GO EXERCISE.. hey it works for me, BUT every weekend ONCE ONCE ONCE i get up i get on my gym clothes. and about an hour head for the gym!!! NEVER MISS YOUR WORKOUT!!! it deffintaly shows!

3. whatever "fast food" your eating.... YOU NO LONGER like it!!! quit eating it!! ---- 5MIN 5 MIN!!
    mCDonalds -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IGtDPG4UfI

4. the thing that helped ME the most.... eating a TON of chicken, 20-28 g per meal of WHOLE WHEAT/ WHOLE GAIN carbs PER meal.....!!!

5. eat every 4 hours!
  • naguilar210
    Options
    First off, don't be too hard on yourself.
    Don't dwell on the past and just start over.
    If you mess up, its okay...start over again.
    Eventually you will become motivated again (this website has helped me so far with getting through those first initial days of dieting)
    I lost 85 pounds recently, maintained, and just kept my weight the same, always wanted to lose 15 more but never found the motivation to put the extra work it takes, but becoming part of MFP has helped big time!
    You need to remember, dont think of this entire weight loss journey as just dieting and exercising...its a way of life...a healthy way of living, not a punishment to your body or depriving yourself of those evil foods that got us in trouble in the first place.
    I wish you the best of luck, doll.
    Hang in there...u can do this!
  • carolstrange0
    Options
    another thing... LIFT WEIGHT 3 X PER WEEK
    and cardio 2 X PER WEEK

Mon: Legs & Abs
    Tue: Arms
    Wed: Circut Trainning
    Thur: Jog/ Sprint / Run & Abs
    Fri: Legs (DO NOT GET YOUR blood pressure high WITHIN 48-72 HOURS of a jog IF IF IF IF... you do legs!!)
    Sat: Yoga/ Palties/ stretch routine
    Sunday: Arms & Abs
  • 3110cynthia
    Options
    i lost 48 lbs when i was 16 and was size 7 for the fisrt time since 7th grade - then w/in about 6 months i gained it back - i got so discouraged that i never tried again - now i'm 42 and 5' 200lbs and i think ya know i could have spent some of those yrs thin if i had just tried even if i gaied it all back over and over then at least some of the time i'd feel good about myself instead of spending 26 yeas depresed ALL THE TIME - please don't give up and do what i did - i finally started to do this 35 days ago and just trying alone has made me feel better even when the scale hasn't moved for a while - it is discouraging when it doesn't move that's true but if you quit you will feel worse than when youre trying and the scale's not moving just because you quit you'll get depresed - so long as you're giving it a go then you can say hey at least i'm giving it a go - ya know?
  • jennievh
    jennievh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    what i did when i was in that "destructive" cycle, which was just a month ago, was for one week i logged everything i ate no matter how bad it was. i did this in attempt to be honest with myself and to see what i was really putting in my body.

Yes! I think this is the key. Respect yourself enough to be honest. And if you go over your calories, say, "Oh, I didn't make the best choices today--I'll do better tomorrow. And I'll make it easier on myself by (packing a salad, buying that nonfat yogurt I like, not stopping at Starbucks)."

It is too easy to get into the "I'm bad" cycle. When you think you ARE bad, then doing bad things, hey, that's normal.

OTOH, if you just accept yourself for who you are--and you are a good person who sometimes makes less than stellar choices--then you start loving yourself. And I'll bet you start realizing you don't even WANT that milkshake etc.

Also, consider reading Geneen Roth. She really helped me PAY ATTENTION to myself. I found that if I'm in the kitchen and STOP and FEEL before I open the fridge, I usually just want some water to drink. Or I'm bored and not even HUNGRY. (And sometimes I eat anyway, knowing I'm not hungry but just bored! Awareness is half the battle.) Allow yourself to have the thought, "I'm eating because I'm bored/angry/tired. I'd really like some help with that." and seek some help.

You are a good person and can DO this.
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and encouragment!! Yes, I know WHY I gained it all back.. I guess really what saying is WHY did I let myself go after all my months of hard work to get that 30 lbs off!! Ugh. I messed up again today. (I am starting to really see that me stressing = me eating! ) So with knowing that for sure I can focus on it when im stressing and not give in. I can Jog every morning and saturday adn sundays morning and night! I will just have to be more strict with myself and like someone said JUST DO IT! And its funny because back when i lost all the weight before that was my motto that was in my head everyday! I need to get back into that state of mind! For now im am going to start with 30 min. before work. (I am NOT a morning person! so getting up early is pretty hard for me!) but I will eventually bump it up to an hour every morning =] I have 2 kids so afterwork exercising is really hard. I have dinner, bathtime, clean room, read them a book and bed..Thats not even including cleaning dinner mess, taking a shower and spending some time with my Fiance lol.. So I will have to slowly start getting up earlier and earlier. Thanks so much everyone! I feel refreshed and i am starting RIGHT NOW! I WILL be up early tomorrow to go out running =]

Also, before when i lost alot of weight, I would typically have egg whites and 1 peice of toast for breakfast. Then a sandwhich adn a fruit for lunch. Yogurt or crackers with cheese spread for a snack. /and then baked chicken and veggies for dinner. Or more egg whites for dinner if i wasnt in chicken mood =] And i would eat whole wheat/grain breads, low fat and sodium everything!

now with my sandwhiches I eat the deli flatbreads. They are 100 cals for 2 halves. Its great! I will let you all know in a few weeks how I am doing =]
  • jazzy020106
    Options
    what i did when i was in that "destructive" cycle, which was just a month ago, was for one week i logged everything i ate no matter how bad it was. i did this in attempt to be honest with myself and to see what i was really putting in my body.

Yes! I think this is the key. Respect yourself enough to be honest. And if you go over your calories, say, "Oh, I didn't make the best choices today--I'll do better tomorrow. And I'll make it easier on myself by (packing a salad, buying that nonfat yogurt I like, not stopping at Starbucks)."

It is too easy to get into the "I'm bad" cycle. When you think you ARE bad, then doing bad things, hey, that's normal.

OTOH, if you just accept yourself for who you are--and you are a good person who sometimes makes less than stellar choices--then you start loving yourself. And I'll bet you start realizing you don't even WANT that milkshake etc.

Also, consider reading Geneen Roth. She really helped me PAY ATTENTION to myself. I found that if I'm in the kitchen and STOP and FEEL before I open the fridge, I usually just want some water to drink. Or I'm bored and not even HUNGRY. (And sometimes I eat anyway, knowing I'm not hungry but just bored! Awareness is half the battle.) Allow yourself to have the thought, "I'm eating because I'm bored/angry/tired. I'd really like some help with that." and seek some help.

You are a good person and can DO this.

I def. have the eating when im bored/angry/stressed problem.. What do you do when you come accross this challange of the day?