Anyone ever made a complete career change?

Options
I'm 30. I don't adore my career. I work in HR but my passion is animals. Always has been and always will be. I keep thinking I need to switch it up. But it's difficult. My degree is in HR. I don't really want to go back to school again! But I'm not happy in my career the way I would be working with animals.

Anyone ever do a complete overhaul and change up their career? I have no kids. My hubby makes decent money, but we have a good amount of debt. So it's not super feasible to just quit working and go back to school.

Replies

• FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    not me but a lot of people inn my class have. Several ladies even have grandchilderen
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Night or online school. Apply for scholarships/grants to help with the costs. You can do it!
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    My hubby left the IT field and went back to school to be an RN. He finished a year and a half ago at 37. Things were tight during that time but he wasn't happy with what he was doing and now he is. Worth it cause him happy = me happy. Tough decision though I know, best of luck to you!
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If you're passionate about something--GO FOR IT! Yes, I'm yelling. I was a realtor and am now in construction (building department side). I love it. I was good at real estate, but I really love construction. It took several years, and I make about 1/2 as much, but I am 1000% happier with my life. Even my kids can see the difference.

You can do it! Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I've done a few things, I worked in admin. I started college at 24 in an RN program, halfway through I dropped out went and got a BA followed by a B.ed. I love teaching. The best advice I can give is spend as much time as possible doing a job shadow for your dream job. You might love the reality, or you might decide that volunteering with animals is a better fit. Follow your passion, but make sure that you have realistic expectations of what day to day life would be like with a different career.
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force for 13 years. I got out to work in the insulation industry - seemed like a natural progression. :) After 12 years of doing that, I am now a State Manager of a Building Materials Group of Companies.