So what's up with this whole "jogging" thing?

Options
Hi there! Thanks for clicking! :) Ok, so! I'm 19 and I've lost almost 40 lbs (crazy, right?!) and for the past couple of days I've gone jogging! And by "jogging" I do not mean running at a slow pace gracefully with my hair flowing behind me in the pretty wind. It's more like me barely being able to put one foot in front of the other, red faced and huffing, cursing out loud every other house, and having the irritating bits of hair that escaped my pony tail try to distract me all while my glasses are taking a dive off my nose. For 10 minutes.... ok, you got me. It's more like 8. And I'm walking a bit during that time too...and by a bit I mean about halfway. I'm really not discouraged yet because it's only been a couple days and the soreness feels earned. Jogging is definitely not something I'm going to give up on but... what the heck is jogging? When can I just offhandedly say "oh, I'm a jogger" and have it be true? When will I get "good" at jogging, because I'm sure I look like a hot mess hauling myself down the street every morning, lol. Can you share your personal insight into the world of jogging with me, please? Do you remember when you first started and what you did to end up where you are now? I want to get good at jogging because I really do enjoy it and so far the only thing I've been able to come up with is "well, I guess I should go outside and jog then...." haha, I'm sure that's 95% of the battle, but what about the other 5%? Care to share some tips with a n00b jogger?
Thanks! x

Replies

• brandon_2A
    Options
    I'm not a 'good' jogger, not even a fair one. Jogging a whole 5k is JUST barely out of reach yet, but close.

It took me about 3 weeks to get over the "holycrapithinkimgonnadie" feeling. Even now within the first few minutes I feel totally exhausted but once I make it over that initial hump I'm ok.

Just keep going, it gets better.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Check out c25k (couch to 5k). There's an app (or 10,000) for that. It's a program of run/walk intervals that gently increases the run and decreases the walk until you are running for 30 minutes straight.

I've been doing my version of running for almost 2 years. I still suck. But I love it. So I do it. And by running, I'm referring to a motion that closely resembles Quasimodo having a seizure while attempting to escape a rabid bear. I'm not exaggerating. I have race photos to prove this is exactly what I look like. But I really don't care-because I like doing it, so I do. And since I can't see myself when I'm running, I figure it's really everyone else's problem what I look like.

If you jogged/ran, you are a jogger/runner. Some of us are slow, some are fast, some run/walk, some run, some run for minutes, some run for hours. Doing it at all is what matters. Kudos to you and I hope you love it as much as I do.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I started running just over a year and half ago, after a lifetime of avoiding it (I'm 45).

Check out the c25k program (Google it) - it's a great plan that gets you running a 5k distance without stopping in about 9 weeks. You run three days a week, with intervals of running and walking, gradually building up to more running than walking, until you're running for 30 minutes straight.

Worked great for me, it was exactly what I needed. There are plenty of free apps out there for smart phones or iPods as well, so you can take it with you, play your own music, and all the cues for when to walk, when to run, etc are right there in your headphones.
  • Flagirlof3
    Options
    I was never a jogger or a runner and at 40 I followed the c25k. I'm 45 and I'm a runner. Running used to be my only form of exercise until the put in a Planet Fitness 3 minutes from my house. I weight lift 6 days and run 3. Good Luck :)
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Like the others I was a non runner and used the c25k app to get me running. That was 2 years ago... many 5ks, a couple of 15ks, 2 half marathons and a 20k later.. :-) Some just do walking/jogging intervals of some sort and gradually wean out the walking. It takes time. Good luck!
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I began and tired out after 5 minutes.
    18 months later and with several breaks between, I am doing 10km jogs and do 1 hour runs which I thoroughly enjoy. When I'm out on the road or on the tread, all I tell myself is to 'keep going' and that 'I can do it'. The moment you say and tell yourself that you can't, you won't be able to succeed - the word 'can't' is my axis of evil.
    Just keep going and going at it, don''t let people tell you what to do - everyone has a different running style!
    :drinker:
  • FakingFitness
    FakingFitness Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    When can I just offhandedly say "oh, I'm a jogger" and have it be true?

Right Now!

You don't have to look good. You don't have to be fast. you don't have to run a certain amount of time. You don't have to run a certain amount of miles.

You go out. You jog.
    That makes you a jogger. :)
    (although, I like the sound of 'Runner' better)

If you're on Facebook check out these 2 pages, they're both awesome:
    Women's running comunity:
    https://www.facebook.com/womensrunningcommunity
    and
    Running Repairs
    https://www.facebook.com/RunningTally
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging/running on and off for many years, and I'm not good at it (i.e. fast, easy gait, hair flowing how you described, etc.), but for some crazy reason I like it.

I remember when I first started I couldn't even go a block or two without feeling like I was going to die. Then one day I went running with a friend (who was way more experienced than I was), and I was surprised to find how slowly she went. I had been trying to "race" around the neighborhood and was wearing myself out! At her pace, I was able to go an easy couple of miles and it felt great! So my advice to you is: slow down, maybe you're running too fast for starters!
  • monchandler
    monchandler Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate.... I started jogging about 4 months ago. I could not jog much at all. I started on a path and everyday I would set a target and everyday I made myself run farther than I did the last time. Doing the intervals work great. I tried to run short spurts as fast as I could and then just slow jog..walk..jog..etc. I finally got to the point that I actually look forward to running!! I ran a 5k a few weeks ago with all jogging..almost cried..so excited..LOL
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I jogged 26.2 miles not long ago and toying with the idea of jogging 50 miles..thats what's UP with this jogging thing..and I started the same as you a year ago..barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

follow c25k and get yourself to jog for 5km/3.1 miles. after that, it's up to you how far you want to '' jog'' ....
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I jogged 26.2 miles not long ago and toying with the idea of jogging 50 miles..thats what's UP with this jogging thing..and I started the same as you a year ago..barely able to put one foot in front of the other.

follow c25k and get yourself to jog for 5km/3.1 miles. after that, it's up to you how far you want to '' jog'' ....

My stats aren't quite as impressive as this guy, but I started jogging a year ago too. It was hard! I actually made a few c25k attempts in the past and was never able to complete the program due to illness (I have asthma and allergies and a 3 y.o. in preschool). Tried again last year with a different strategy. I ran 10 mins straight walked 20, repeated for my 3 runs that week following week I did 15 and 15. Then 20 and 10, etc till I got to 30 mins. Then I added a long run once a week increasing that by .5 mile every week. Once I had 5k down I moved to a half marathon training plan.

I've run 2 halfs by now with 2 more on the books for fall. I have to tell you, getting to the 30 mins was harder than moving from 5k to half marathon. Once you get better at it, making progress is easier.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    "Veronica and I are trying this new fad called jogging. I believe its 'jogging' or 'yogging', it might be a soft 'J', I'm not sure. But apparently you just run for an extended period of time."
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I hate jogging. I find it pointless and boring. Running though, good fun!

I don't know what makes a jogger, but if you want to be a runner, try intervals.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'm a pretty tall/muscular guy and hardly typical as far a runner body goes.

I think my biggest mistake was trying to go to far to soon along with using old shoes that didn't comfort my 40+ year old knees very muchto say the least.

I started running again early in the year to relieve stress and help with a joint disease that had me walking with a cane for many years. After I finally broke down and got some new shoes, I was doing 5k every day for many weeks and slowly moved onto 10k every day with some longer runs on the weekend.

I even been know to run half marathons on back to back days on occasion.

I would say if your huffing and puffing you are running to fast for you. Slow down and run some intervals and you will build up endurance in your body as well as your mind.

Half of running is mental. Do what you can do, and when that gets easy increase your distance.

Never work on speed and distance in the same day.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I started messing about with the idea of jogging back in about May. My BFF and I signed up for my first (she is a marathon runner) 5k. We did that on July 6 and there has been no going back since then! I immediately started a 10k training program using RunKeeper on my phone and I have to say.....I LOVE IT. LOVE....IT! I never thought that I would ever consider myself a runner. I still have a few weeks left of my 10k program and then I plan to start a half marathon training program. I even plan to run in the winter, as long as I possibly can ( I live in Canada....in Edmonton.....it's damn cold up in here in the winter!) Last Friday I did 9k for the first time.....7k ran straight through and then about 1/4 walk, 3/4 run for the last 2.

So here are my tips:

Go SLOW. Like SLOW. S-L-O-W. Like when you think you can't go any slower, slow down. This is what will help with your endurance. Don't concern yourself with speed at this point.

Make sure you have good shoes.

Make sure you have good music.

When you feel like quitting, ask yourself why you want to quit. Running is the biggest mental challenge I have ever encountered. Now when I think " I need to stop" I ask myself "Does your body hurt? Are you going to give out? Do your lungs hurt? Can you breath?" Usually my body is always fine....it's my brain messing with me.

Don't think about it too much....just do it!

Practice makes perfect. You WILL get better the more you train. It's very cliche but it's true....how do you get better? More miles.

Good luck!
  • asbjrc427
    asbjrc427 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    " And since I can't see myself when I'm running, I figure it's really everyone else's problem what I look like. "

This made me laugh out loud! Awesome!!!
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I'm a jogger. Ok, I'm actually more of a thudder. Short, pounding steps and I make a lot of noise. My 5k record is 48 minutes. I can walk it that fast, literally.But, for me, it's jogging. And I love it.

The other day I actually PASSED someone. Had they started jogging, I would never have caught them, but as they were walking, it didn't take me all that long to catch them and pass them. I felt SO GOOD after that!!
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this OP, it described me to the dot... Hopefully in a short time we'll feel comfortable saying we're runners too!
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using ten minutes to warm up at a medium paced walk and then jog for a couple a minutes then walk for a couple minutes and just rinse and repeat, keep that up for about twenty minutes then finish up with another slow ten minute walk for a cool down. If you start jogging immediately you won't be warmed up and you will want to quit sooner. The first fifteen minutes for me are always the hardest then get into the groove and can go for a long time. Google correct form while jogging and this will help you with breathing and any other injuries you can gain from running outside.