any moms mind answering a question?

Options
rAc_hEl
rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
Do you believe that weight has a role in being able to conceive? I was 5'1 and 250 pounds and could not get pregnant to save my life lol. I also have a tilted uterus. I've lost 85 pounds and just now got the ok to try but I'm thinking on waiting as I'm still 40 pounds overweight. Id like to get to my goal weight first. What do you think. Does weight have a role in if you can or cannot conceive right away. P.s my doctor said everything else looks great just tilted uterus

Replies

• meredith2780
    Options
    I have heard that weight does hinder getting pregnant. Congrats on your loss so far. You are doing great!
  • happyindian
    happyindian Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    i think weight in any way does not hinder conceiving...i have loads of " overweight " friends who went along to have healthy babies. But weight loss does brighten ur chances of conceiving , specially if u have PCOD.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    It certainly never got in my way, but then again, neither did birth control. So I guess I'm a bad example. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Prettymisssparkles
    Prettymisssparkles Posts: 1,274 Member
    Options
    Don't worry too much on the tilted uterus, mine is also tilted. I have a three year old son and I am currently 14 weeks pregnant. Only thing that seems different with a tilted uterus is that I tend to show way sooner than most. I have heard of women having trouble getting pregnant due to weight. I know that stress can also make it more difficult.

Congratulations on your success so far! Best of luck to you!
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I can tell you this much, I was 215 lbs lost 70 lbs in about 6 months and got pregnant the first month I tried after losing the weight. I think being overweight can definitely impact fertility. It affects hormone levels. I also think that you're smart to wait until you're finished losing before you conceive. Being pregnant can be tough and carrying around extra weight while pregnant has to be difficult. Congratulations on your weight loss and good luck!
  • ICallBS
    ICallBS Posts: 12
    Options
    I have heard it can be, but then again sometimes I think doctors blame hangnails on being overweight to overweight people.

One thing though I can say is for me pregnancy at a smaller weight was for me much more comfortable!! And I didn't have to have the 3 hour diabetes test, or have a baby over 10lbs!

Good luck on whatever you decide!!
  • callas444
    callas444 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Many obese women do not ovulate every month. Obesity wrecks your hormones. I don't think this applies as much to those who are in the overweight him range. Weight makes you more likely to suffer from gestational diabetes and pregnancy induced hypertension (aka preeclampsia), so any weight you lose before conceiving may lead to a more comfortable and healthier pregnancy. Good luck!
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Yea also i was on depo shot but that was almost 2 years ago that i stop taking that. It was the worst bc ever. I'm currently not having sex and when i do with hubby it's condom plus pull out plus before period like maybe 5 days before. I'm like a clock when it comes to my body and my period. It's always 27 days long and come between 10 am and 1 pm. It's that precise.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I have heard it can be, but then again sometimes I think doctors blame hangnails on being overweight to overweight people.

One thing though I can say is for me pregnancy at a smaller weight was for me much more comfortable!! And I didn't have to have the 3 hour diabetes test, or have a baby over 10lbs!

Good luck on whatever you decide!!

I agree with the being smaller being more comfortable but Mom's weight doesn't necessarily dictate birth weight. I was at a normal healthy weight with both pregnancies- DS came a month early at 36 weeks and weighed in at 7 1/2 lbs. DD was born 1 week early and weighed in over 10 lbs! I gained more weight with my son's pregnancy than my daughter's and still had a monster of a baby lol.
  • jlmakela
    jlmakela Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yes. it can.
    some woman who are overweight have polycystic ovarian syndrome. It causes infertility.
    it is related to the pre-diabetes metabolic syndrome.
    the two treatments for it.. weight loss and/or metformin ( a diabetes medication.)
    after treatment woman can become pregnant again.
    Though not everyone overweight and infertile has this.
    Nor is everyone who is overweight infertile.

good luck
  • madworld1
    madworld1 Posts: 524
    Options
    I have a tilted uterus & I have a 12 yr old.
  • bottom
    bottom Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    My husband and I tried to conceive for 2.5 years. I lost 50 lbs. and immediately got pregnant. We started trying recently for #2. I lost that same 50 lbs., and got pregnant at the exact weight (to the pound) as the first time. Do I believe it was excess weight preventing us from conceiving? Absolutely.
  • fhargis0002
    fhargis0002 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    absolutely. maintaining a healthy weight means you body overall is healthier. it can even complicate pregnancy being too overweight. good luck to you and I think you are being very responsible waiting until you feel ready.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Weight never was a issue. I had my first 2 while thinner and then BAM 2 more while heavy and on the pill.

I'm probably not the example you're looking for

Good Luck OP
  • mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I was well over 230 when I got pregnant with both of my sons. Also have a tilted uterus. Never had problems conceiving.
    Best of luck to you!
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    for me it played a huge part.. I tried and tried for my second and it took sooooo long. after I had her I lost around 50lbs (after the initial baby weight loss) and the first time we started trying got pregnant right away with our 3rd. so yes I believe it does play a huge roll in getting pregnant
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    It's a factor but how much of a factor I'm not sure is quite known.

There are many overweight people that have no problems conceiving and there are many normal-weight people that have issues.

If you're overweight then losing weight is in your best interest anyway.

You and your partner should get your primary fertility tests if you haven't been able to conceive for a year (it might be less time depending on your doctor). Those tests will identify the real reason for not conceiving. If the tests don't come up with anything then of course, lose weight and keep trying and hopefully the weight was the issue. But I don't think it's as much of an issue as many people say.

In my case it was a low sperm count, not my weight. Maybe now that I'm 10kg lighter I have a better sperm count? I won't know unless I take another test. The count and mobility was so low that I really doubt that being 110kg was the problem. Many men that are a lot heavier than me are knocking people up.
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I would say every woman is different.
    I had lost some weight and was working out with a trainer at a gym, but when my husband and I first decided we'd try to conceive, I got pregnant on the first try. I was 248 and in my mid-30's. I weighed 282 when I gave birth. I was considered a high-risk pregnancy, but that was due to a previous medical condition. I was fortunate enough to pass my tests, go full term and have a healthy baby.

I don't recommend getting pregnant while severely overweight/obese. It's much more healthy for YOU AND the baby to be at a healthier weight. Maybe ask your Dr about taking prenatal vitamins now, and you can decide what works best for you as far as when to try to conceive.

Hopefully you'll be at a comfortable weight, don't stress about it, be healthy, and hopefully have energy to eat well and exercise during your pregnancy. Good luck!
  • JenS2586
    JenS2586 Posts: 85
    Options
    I've also heard being overweight or even underweight can hinder your chances. But I think that's more due to overall health. But being a healthy weight prior to conceiving can make for less complications during pregnancy like GD and preeclampsia etc.
    As for the tilted uterus, my doc told me mine was backwards\tilted and I have been pregnant 5 times [2 singles, 1 set of twins and 2 miscarriages] .
  • LeahT84
    LeahT84 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I believe that weight is a factor in not only getting pregnant, but having a healthy pregnancy. I was slightly overweight when I got pregnant with my son, and other than a few little complications during the pregnancy, everything went fairly well and I have a healthy 7 year old. But, I got pregnant twice after that, and both times I was significantly overweight, and I was unable to carry out the pregnancies which both ended in miscarriage. I can only guess that it was because my body was not healthy enough to carry them to term. I feel that weight played a part in it, because at a heavy weight, you're not healthy. You have more fat around your organs, and your body is slowed down due to the excess weight, which I think can possibly hinder getting pregnant or having a healthy pregnancy.