Quinoa For Breakfast??

Options
Hey I was wondering if anyone has tried using quinoa for breakfast? I have found some recipes, but looking for more. I have a gluten sensitivety so I am trying to stay gluten free. I am getting tired of my eggs and fruit for breakfast, and I have never been a big fan of cereals, especially those that are gluten free. As fall and winter approaches I was hoping to find something hot like oatmeal but using the quinoa, if anyone has any thoughts or recipes I would love to hear them. Clearly I would like them to be low fat and low calories. Thanks folks

Replies

• hippikris
    hippikris Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just realized I posted thi in the wrong section I meant to post in the Recipes message boards. sorry. Well either way , any help would be great.
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    I just bought and tried Better Oats, Organic Raw Pure & Simple, multigrain hot cereal with flax & quinoa, It was good after I added a little sweetener, otherwise completely bland. But what I am getting at is, yes you can add it to your oatmeal. I could not even tell it was in there, just tasted like my normal sugar free oatmeal.
  • hippikris
    Options
    thank you, but due to my stomach issues I am not supposed to eat oats or oatmeal. Flax seed is an option though.
  • sperika
    sperika Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My four usual quinoa breakfast combos are:

1) Mixed with a tablespoon peanut butter and a tablespoon honey;
    2) The above, with a sliced banana mushed in;
    3) Topped by a poached egg (and maybe a little salt) - if you're not too sick of your eggs;
    4) Wrapped up with a whole wheat tortilla (gluten-free in your case!), PB, and banana.
  • hippikris
    Options
    thank you that sounds good, I will try that.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have it for breakfast just like I would have oatmeal.

I usually have some already cooked in the fridge as I make large batches at a time. I take some and put it in a bowl, add in some milk and some brown sugar and than heat it up.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    you can absolutely have quinoa for breakfast
    use what you would usually mix into oatmeal!

i try to keep my mix ins for oatmeal low cal so i usually go with pumpkin pie spice for flavor
    bananas are pretty low cal for the amount you get... any berries are low cal too. i love blueberries and strawberries
    hmm what else...

if you like chocolate, pick up a box of DIET swiss miss... 25 calories for a whole pack and it makes it really chocolatey and creamy and delicious.
    OR you could just use a little bit of unsweetened cocoa powder and sweeten it to your liking. personally, i find that this method usually turns out a little bitter, though

alpine has some diet apple cider packets too, i think they are 15 calories for a whole pack but be careful with those because they are pretty strong.

almond milk is great too - the 30 cal per cup kind

also if you are just looking for flavor check out Duncan Hines frosting creations powders... they are 5 cal for a whole pack. some of the flavors kind of suck but my favorite is caramel. you definitely dont need a whole pack though, they are very strong too. i usually use about 1/4 of a pack for 2 servings of oats or quinoa

also try some PB2 (powdered peanut butter) if you dont want to use real peanut butter because of the calories.

and of course you can make your quinoa savory too.

EDIT: if you are using the frosting creations packets, make sure to add sweetener. they are not sweetened at all.
    EDIT 2: the chocolate frosting creations dont dissolve in water very well, which is why i stick to the caramel flavor.
  • jhalton
    jhalton Posts: 85
    Options
    Oh yeah..eat it just like oatmeal. I like it with hot milk & honey (or your fav sweetener). Depending on calories...you can add fruit and or nuts.

Bon appetite!
  • hippikris
    Options
    wow all good ideas thanks. very helpful.
  • fcevallos
    fcevallos Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    here's a recipe I made up last year and has been a hit with everyone who's tried it...

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Blueberry-Lemon-Breakfast-Quinoa/Detail.aspx
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I dont know what that is, but it sounds yummy!
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    The other day, I had a yukky tummy and couldn't eat anything until I remembered about rice pudding. So good! So digestible! I like it with just a tiny bit of sugar, and indeed had the thought that yes, this could be a breakfast food (because I hate super sweet breakfasts). If you can't have dairy, I'm sure there are substitutions. I bet you could make it with quinoa, to get more protein in.

Here's one recipe
    http://livglutenfree.com/recipes/coconut-almond-rice-pudding

You could make a whack of rice or quinoa in advance, and just do the pudding part in the morning. I made mine with leftover jasmine rice & it was done in 10 mins.
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I like it with some milk and dried fruit like raisins and cranberries.
  • eidc
    eidc Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is great for breakfast! I add dated, raisins, figs anything I have on had! And you can eat oatmeal when you are gluten sensitive you just have to make sure it isn't processed in a place that process wheat. I have found some in our local organic grocery store. Just make sure you check the label!
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like it with avocados, eggs, tomatoes or salsa, and a small amount of potatoes -- keep a big batch of cooked quinoa on hand, stir-fry your potatoes in Pam or a little olive oil (depending on your macros, etc.) until crisp, add everything else in and scramble until just hot through. It's delicious on its own, or you can put it in a wrap/on gluten-free toast/on a bed of steamed or sauteéd dark greens.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in "certain foods for certain meals." Eat what you want.
  • hippikris
    Options
    great more awesome ideas, thanks. as for the oats, my doctor told me not to eat any oats or brown rice, I know that it can depend on how or where the product is packaged, but she told me not to eat them so I am looking at new options truth be told I was never a big fan of oatmeal anyway, but I ate it in the winter for something warm in the mornings.

I also do not agree that certain foods are for certain meals. my goal was just to get good breakfast ideas and recipes using the quinoa. I eat all kinds of crazy things for whatever meal depending on my mood. rice for breakfast eggs and potatoes for dinner. and well lunch is usually pretty basic.

thanks everyone.
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I had red quinoa this morning with a splash of vanilla, a dash of cinnamon, almond milk and brown sugar. Super yummy!
  • kmbweber2014
    kmbweber2014 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I like it with avocados, eggs, tomatoes or salsa, and a small amount of potatoes -- keep a big batch of cooked quinoa on hand, stir-fry your potatoes in Pam or a little olive oil (depending on your macros, etc.) until crisp, add everything else in and scramble until just hot through. It's delicious on its own, or you can put it in a wrap/on gluten-free toast/on a bed of steamed or sauteéd dark greens.

I also do this quite a bit but minus the potatoes. I usually ad green veggies like asparagus, kale and spinach, some peppers, eggs and top it with salsa.