Plateu

lindakp83
lindakp83 Posts: 45
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I have lost almost 13lbs. Yay! But I feel like it is slowing. How do you know you have hit a wall and how do you get past it?

Replies

• StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Try upping your calories for a bit and then slowly bring them back down. Sometimes you have to "shock" your body. I try having a day where i go over my calories even if its only by 100. I do this once week and have seen a steady loss. It keeps your body guessing.
  • Try upping your calories for a bit and then slowly bring them back down. Sometimes you have to "shock" your body. I try having a day where i go over my calories even if its only by 100. I do this once week and have seen a steady loss. It keeps your body guessing.

I used to also call it shocking the system, it is also referred to as BOOSTING. When you hit a plateau you should do it every 4 days, eat a little something extra at a meal, whether it be fat or carbs or protein, but the idea is to EAT more and confuse your body into thinking it's NOT going into starvation mode and kicks itself back into Fat Burning Mode. Just don't boost EVERYDAY LOL!
  • If you are eating and working out at the same level each day but not getting the same weight loss results, you may have hit the wall. Our bodies are good at adjusting so throwing a couple of curveballs may help. Every 20 lbs I lose I have to shake up my routine to keep getting results.

Change your cardio to intervals so if you are working out on a machine. Push yourself hard for three minutes above your normal level then rest for two minutes at your regular level.

Add another day of cardio

Add weights or another day of weights.

Change your primary workout. Exp. change from running 3 days to running 2 days and Tae Bo 1 day.

Change your calorie consumption: go under 200 cals for two days then add the 400 cals to the 3rd day.

MFP can overestimate some of the calorie expenditures for workouts so try to leave a few calories each day you workout to compensate.

Just keep at it and you will see results. Make sure your goal weight is a healthy weight for your height and you should be able to reach it.
  • Definitely a good idea - it's why body builders do it. I have one spike day a week for this reason xxx
This discussion has been closed.