Probably inappropriate protein related factoid.

Options
aakaakaak
aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
Sorry, I just had to share this. I'm sure the question has been raised in bedrooms and back seats throughout the world. Try to be adult about it.
Is semen high in protein?
As the higher end of average ejaculate volume is 10mL for human men, this is approximately 0.5g (500mg) of dietary protein per ejaculate on average.

http://examine.com/faq/is-semen-high-in-protein.html

Several other interesting facts can be found as well.

Replies

• verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    Well - and just how long do you think this topic will last?

For some other scientific facts: http://www.news-medical.net/health/Swallowing-Semen.aspx

And the most common question is just how many calores are in it - this post tends to sum things up well.

http://jezebel.com/a-complete-breakdown-of-the-nutritional-content-of-seme-953356816
  • HeyImMarcus
    Options
    This is new...

Not funny
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    sorry...doesn't fit my macros
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    In in in in in in in
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Ummm...why were you searching for that topic in the first place?
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I just want this in my newsfeed...
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    :laugh:
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    :laugh: In ....
  • danwold
    danwold Posts: 9
    Options
    Oh great, guys new pick up line. Hey baby I hear your on the Atkins ;)
  • michellenichole83
    michellenichole83 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I won a radio contest knowing this once. Well, the specific question was, "how many calories are in a teaspoon of Tony Hawk's semen?"

My scientific guess was 3. :-D I got to see Tony Hawk and company and The Offspring (way cool in 2002).

Useless knowledge ftw!
  • apatheticsloth
    Options
    :laugh: In ....

I was in twice today. lol It was a good day. :wink:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Would the provider of said protein source need to eat more protein to compensate?
  • sexymuffintop
    Options
    Not enough protein in there to make it worth ingesting IMO.....
  • zedgt87
    zedgt87 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    who is short on protein today?
  • BigDougie1211
    BigDougie1211 Posts: 3,530 Member
    Options
    I suppose I really should follow this to see if it has a happy ending ( I know, sorry )
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I suppose I really should follow this to see if it has a happy ending ( I know, sorry )

Hahaha, best response!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the way to increase the volume of semen/sperm per ejaculation is to spend time away from your wife/girlfriend. Then, when you are reunited, you will produce a lot more sperm. This has been proven experimentally. I don't have a peer reviewed journal reference, but I do remember that particular university lecture, and that it was on a monday morning because the lecturer felt that the best time to show undergraduates videos of experiments of that nature was early on a monday morning. So yeah, go to uni bleary eyed after the weekend, and first lecture in the morning was that....

So anyway, the reason for that is that natural selection has favoured men whose bodies do this, because if his regular partner was up to shenanigans when he was away, he comes back with a mega ton of sperm so there's a better chance that one of his sperms gets to the egg. Also, some sperms are "fighters", i.e. only about 10% of sperm go racing towards the egg, the others hang back swimming in circles and doing other weird things, to get in the way of any other man's sperms that come in afterwards. (note that natural selection didn't bank on said sperm being eaten and having zero chance of getting to the egg)

Sperm competition is a fascinating subject. It also explains why chimpanzees have much huger testicles than humans, because chimpanzees are so promiscuous. Gorillas have tiny ones because the males fight each other for access to females, so the sperms don't have to do any fighting or racing. Humans fall in between the two, because humans are quite a lot more choosy than chimps regarding who they have sex with, but also have a tendency to play away from home. (bear in mind that all of this evolved in Homo erectus, who probably didn't have so much capacity to think ahead and understand the consequences of their actions, so while Homo sapiens may *choose* not to give in to temptation and to stay loyal to their regular partner, Homo erectus probably didn't)
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options

I wasn't actually searching for this nugget. I was reading about the maximum digestible amount of protein per sitting (which is probably around 200g or more, depending on workload. You're supposed to do the "smell test" for your feces to make that determination). This was a "related article". I couldn't not share.
  • grggmrtn
    grggmrtn Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Even more inappropriate is the MATH.

Seriously, at 10ml per shot (couldn't resist, sorry), 0.5 g protein per... I would have to ingest 3.5 litres per day to meet my macros.

I'm trying to think of a snappy comment to that little factoid, but I'm coming up dry....
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options

I wasn't actually searching for this nugget. I was reading about the maximum digestible amount of protein per sitting (which is probably around 200g or more, depending on workload. You're supposed to do the "smell test" for your feces to make that determination). This was a "related article". I couldn't not share.

So, I'm supposed to smell my poop to determine optimum protein intake? I'm gonna stick with guesstimating.
This discussion has been closed.