Help how do I get the right shoes

Options
Okay so I think I have a great brand of shoes. But I have noticed since I have really started running my shins have hurt more. I was fitted by fleet feet awhile back and they set me up with some inserts. I wore them for 3 days. 2 of those days were at work. My feet felt awful. They refunded my money with no problem. What did I do wrong?
I know the Nikes I owned were crap after my first work out back when i first started working out. So when i first started i went to a shoe shop that highly recommend brooks. i am on my 3 rd pair. i loved them especially while working in the ER. That is until i started running. Currently I am running on the tread mill using the couch to 5 k app. So i don't think i am pushing myself too hard. The app seems to be geared to increase steadily. But I find myself having to ice my shins at the end of the night because they ache so bad. Not to mention the tops of my feet hurt.
I looked at my inserts I seem to wear down foam at the heel and ball of the foot. I know when fleet foot measured me they said I had a great step. They even videoed my feet while walking on a treadmill. I am not sure if I should go back and have them try again or go somewhere else. Any suggestions?
Is it true you should wear a half size bigger? Now that I am running should I look at a different type of shoe?
Any info would be great. I just got some new inserts with just a tad arch. Which are ok...still a little aggravating.

Replies

• suannemarie
    Options
    Ice packs on shins are good, but I'd recommend doing some ankle exercises if they feel like they are burning. You may have some soreness the first few weeks of c25k, especially on a treadmill. There's a reason I have one upstairs that hasn't been voluntarily used in 7 years :bigsmile:

If you can, try getting out on the street. It'll let you stretch your legs more and have a more natural stride. And try to have new shoes fitted by a pro, take your old ones in so they can check the soles. I try to always have them refitted, feet change.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Is the pain on the inner half of your shin or the outer half?

Which model of Brooks do you have?

And what are the inserts for? Do you have flattened arches?
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Pain is on the top of the shins. Right down the bone. Brooks DNA glycerin 10 and the brooks DNA Ravenna 3. The inserts are really for more cushion since I work in the ER 12 hours.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Is the pain on the inner half of your shin or the outer half?

Which model of Brooks do you have?

And what are the inserts for? Do you have flattened arches?

I was told arches were fine. Not fallen and not high. But they still recommend an arch support.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Options
    Ice packs on shins are good, but I'd recommend doing some ankle exercises if they feel like they are burning. You may have some soreness the first few weeks of c25k, especially on a treadmill. There's a reason I have one upstairs that hasn't been voluntarily used in 7 years :bigsmile:

If you can, try getting out on the street. It'll let you stretch your legs more and have a more natural stride. And try to have new shoes fitted by a pro, take your old ones in so they can check the soles. I try to always have them refitted, feet change.

Really the only reason I haven't ran outside or on the indoor track is because I can't phone it in on the treadmill. I see the calorie burn. I see how fast I am running, I know how much faster to push it on that last min. I don't know how to pace or push with out the machine.
  • frostypaws
    frostypaws Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The problem could be your shoes, or if you're new to running, it could be just that you're not used to the pounding. I had the same problem when I first started. People kept telling me it was my shoes, even though they were the proper type fitted to my feet. But the more I ran, the less my shins hurt. Sometimes your body just needs time to adapt.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    As far as the inserts go, it's probably best to only wear them for a short time to get used to them (wear for an hour or so, increasing the length of time you use them so your feet can adjust), even if they feel fine at first.

I recently tried out the Ravennas, but did not end up liking them right now (the toe points up too high for me, maybe??). I wear Adrenaline 12's that I was fitted for also at Fleet Feet last summer for. I have been using Smart Feet insoles for awhile (overpronation), though, so just purchased a new set. My miles are low, so my shoes are still good. Not sure what shoes to go with next, though.

Nothing wrong with using a treadmill, especially if you are learning to pace yourself. I do the same.