What do you take to school/college/work in your lunch?

Options
Looking for some ideas as I will not have access to any cooking equipment (including a microwave and kettle) so I was wondering what everyone else eats throughout the day? The humble sandwich gets rather boring after a while - any suggestions for snacks and a main meal would be lovely :) thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• sophiercook
    sophiercook Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    mine & bf's personal fave is cous cous, and literally chuck in whatever you fancy (roast veg, chicken, feta, olives are some of my choices) delish cold :)
  • JuliMagenta
    JuliMagenta Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    mine & bf's personal fave is cous cous, and literally chuck in whatever you fancy (roast veg, chicken, feta, olives are some of my choices) delish cold :)

this!

I love couscous with corn, kidney beans, paprika and tomates and then add some lemon juice as "dressing" :) Some salt and pepper and you got a perfect to go meal :)
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I made myself a little picnic today. Chorizo, salami, mozzarella, olives, pickles, tomatoes and carrots. No prep needed, just wash the veg and chuck it all in a lunch box.
  • boehle
    boehle Posts: 5,062 Member
    Options
    You can always pack a sandwich or salads
  • Spartans55
    Options
    I usually eat the following...

Snack 1 (one of the following):
    String cheese
    Banana
    Hard boiled egg

Lunch (one of the following):
    Chicken, black beans, salsa mixed together
    Tuna pack, veggies
    Natural peanut butter, fruit, veggies
    Salad with veggies, low fat dressing

Snack 2:
    Apple or banana
  • crose0056
    crose0056 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    a full meal salad. Turkey, veggies, edamanes, avocado or sunflower seeds, and a lite dressing. Always made the day before.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Presuming you have access to a way to keep things cold, chicken is fantastic cold. I've also mixed tuna and salsa, brought salads with all sorts of things in it, and even Optimum Nutrition's protein powders mix with water for a relatively low calorie and high protein shake. Even cold pizza works for lunch.
  • t1954
    t1954 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I usually have about 4 oz. of baked chicken, some celery stalks, carrots, and either an apple, fresh pineapple or a small orange. Works out to be about 200 calories and low sodium.
  • coopmoe
    coopmoe Posts: 4
    Options
    My standard lunch is 2 hard boiled eggs (if I remember to make them, I do a dozen at a time and just have them on hand), 2 large carrots, almonds, spinach salad (with sweet peppers, cucumber, red cabbage, onion, oil, and balsamic) and some sort of proteiny item that's typically last night's leftovers.

If I don't have leftovers it's tuna salad or grilled/baked chicken.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I usually do either a sandwich (on a bagel thin) and veggies or a salad with protein, but today I'm mixing it up -- bagel thin, Greek yogurt cream cheese, smoked salmon, and raw veggies! Pretty exciting stuff. :P

Other options when I'm tired of sandwiches/salads are:

-- protein salads (tuna salad, salmon salad, egg salad, chicken salad) on a bed of spinach or stuffed in a tomato
    -- quinoa + avocado + tomato + beets all rolled in turkey slices
    -- hard-boiled egg + half a cold baked potato + handful of tomatoes/baby carrots/pepper strips
    -- leftovers from dinner (I didn't say these ideas were original)
    -- deli meat, Greek yogurt cream cheese, tomato strip, and spinach wraps in low-cal flatbread
    -- yogurt/almond milk/fruit/spinach smoothies as a last resort
  • Miffylou
    Miffylou Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    The norm for me would be:
    Morning snack : 30g almonds
    Lunch: canned salmon or smoked salmon slices with salad, Greek yogurt with either strawberries or frozen berries
    Afternoon snack: an orange or another piece of fruit
  • leadiax3
    leadiax3 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Frozen fuot mixed with greek yogurt. Almonds. Special k protein shakes. Apple. Plum. Dark chocolate covered berries. Carrot stcks. Tuna salad.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Generally I pack a salad. The base is almost always baby spinach, mixed greens, tomatoes, bell pepper, and avocado, and then I add things depending on the season and my mood: beans, cheese, cucumber, nuts, quinoa...

I also bring seasonal fruit and carrots and/or celery for snacking in the morning and afternoon, and sometimes some hummus for dip. I keep a box of nut bars at work for hunger emergencies -- those things are filling!

Sometimes I bring leftovers from dinner, but that often requires a microwave which I don't have consistent access to.
  • c_tap77
    c_tap77 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Here are some of the things I take for lunch on a regular basis:

1) Hummus with carrots, cucumber and pita; mixed fruit salad
    2) Salad with mixed greens, baby spinach, cucumber, carrots, avacado, and grilled chicken
    3) Avacado chicken salad-2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts, 1 avacado, 1/4 chopped onion, juice of 1/2 a lime, 2 Tbsp cilantro, salt and pepper to taste :) So yummy.
  • dreamingdaughter
    dreamingdaughter Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your help guys! :) I settled for a Sandwich with String Cheese for a snack and an Apple :) Also going to go with a Fruit Salad, Raisins and Pita Bread in the next few weeks :D
  • NetteSusan
    NetteSusan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I usually have a salad or soup for lunch, then I have a small bag of carrots sitting beside me every day for those late afternoon cravings.
    Some days I have a sweets craving: I just ate a miniature peppermint patty. So I only keep 1 or 2 in my drawer.