Is too much Protein bad?

Options
So, I'm recommended 60 mg of protein daily but my regular diet sets me at 81 mg. I read that my metabolism type is that of protein needs. If I'm exercising moderately, will it affect me?

Replies

• mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    bump
  • maximuSario
    Options
    bump
    excuse me?
  • ghsfitnesspal
    ghsfitnesspal Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    hehe, bump means that the user is following the thread to see what the answer/outcome is :)

Oh and check this thread out to sort your cals - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974889-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet then this one to sort outr macros - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • maximuSario
    Options
    Oh, haha thanx.
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, protein cannot be converted into fat. I don't even understand why we have a "daily cap" on protein. Looking forward for an explanation.
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    hey,
    no, too much protein is never bad!
    To build muscles you need about 1,6gr per kg, i set mine to 2g to be save.
    Your body just takes what it needs and the rest gets flushed out,.
    The good thing with eating a lot of protein is that it makes you eat less carbs.
    So don't be stingy with it ;)
  • SeriousBen
    SeriousBen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    no, to much protein is never bad!

Then why do we have a daily cap and it goes "in the red" when we bust it?
  • maximuSario
    Options
    hey,
    no, to much protein is never bad!
    To build muscles you need about 1,6gr per kg, i set mine to 2g to be save.
    Your body just takes what it needs and rest rest get flushed out,.
    The good thing with eating a lot of protein is that it makes you eat less carbs.
    So don't be stingy with it ;)
    Thank you!
  • maximuSario
    Options
    Good. That was the only thing in reds...
  • wettingfeld
    Options
    My guesses:
    It's not a daily cap, but a minimum amount you need.
    It goes in the red, because the software just paints any value red if it goes over the set amount.
  • lioooba
    lioooba Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    it's just because we set our goals to this specific nr, so we have control about it? Doesn't mean anything :D
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    First off, that would be 'g', not 'mg' - grams not milligrams.

And no, unless you have an underlying problem, too much protein is generally not considered to be an issue.

Further, both figures are pretty low - plenty of people doing weights while looking to lose weight will go for around 1g per lb of body weight to help prevent muscle loss.
  • sokkache
    sokkache Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Too much anything can be bad, but I don't know what the "max limit" of protein is, but I don't think 81 grams is too much for anyone, especially if you're working out.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    bump
    excuse me?

Some people say "Bump" stands for "Bring Up My Post" - it's a way of bringing a thread to the top of the list so it's more likely people will see it - that's a reason that you might write it - instead of "Does anyone know the answer".

Someone who is also interested in the answer might write "Bump" instead of "I'd like to know too" as it's quick and needs no brain power to pop it into the thread. Threads you've commented on are easily found under "My topics" so it's a way of following a discussion you're interested in without contributing.

Back to your question - the answer you get will depend on who you're asking.

I'm not pretending to be an expert, but people trying to build muscle will aim to eat lots and lots of protein, often including supplements.

People who have kidney problems may well be on a diet that restricts protein.

There is research that suggests that eating too much protein raises something called IGF-1 that in turn raises your chances of getting cancer and is involved in the ageing process.

http://www.ecopolitan.com/healtheducation/free-articles/376-whey-too-much-protein

Personally I aim to eat about the amount that MFP suggests, most people in the First World are in no danger of protein deficiency and I believe that taking protein supplements is a bad idea.

Now I'm going to stand back & let "the others" argue it out.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    The topic of too much protein has been debated for years. There was some thought at some point that too much protein could lead to kidney damage since excessive amounts of protein are not synthesized into your system but rather simply eliminated through urine and excess urination could lead to kidney damage. I believe almost all studies have debunked this theory, with the exception of anyone who might have underlying kidney and renal issues to begin with.

So that raises the question, what's the problem with too much protein? No real problem except that the body really can't synthesize excessive amounts efficiently and utilize it as we would like. but how much is excessive. That's the big question. I have seen some studies that indicate it isn't until you get upwards of 1.2-1.4g/pound of body weight per day. Some studies suggest even more. After that, it isn't doing any harm, it just might not be doing you any good either. You're just pissing it away. And given the cost of protein (for most of us, it's through meat, which ain't cheap), wasting it is silly.

I'm about 160 pounds and I am trying to keep my protein under 190 or 200 g per day. So unless you weigh 20 or 30 pounds, I wouldn't worry in the least bit about protein intakes of 60 or 80 grams.
  • beckywilliams1967
    beckywilliams1967 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Yes, too much protein is bad for you (in the sense that too much of anything is bad) But, generally, you aren't getting too much protein if you are eating at maintenance or in a calorie deficit. Assure you get enough protein and enough fats and you'll do fine.
    80 gms is not near too much, not by far.

To the original poster - you are not getting too much protein. Red is fine. It means you've reached your goal.

It's been posted but for emphasis: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    First off, that would be 'g', not 'mg' - grams not milligrams.

And no, unless you have an underlying problem, too much protein is generally not considered to be an issue.

Further, both figures are pretty low - plenty of people doing weights while looking to lose weight will go for around 1g per lb of body weight to help prevent muscle loss.

This is my understanding as well. I have T2D, so for me, I need to watch the amount of protein I take in because too much jacks up my blood sugar. People who suffer from kidney disease also need to watch their protein intake. I've read that T2D is one of the the leading causes of kidney disease, so it's something I pay attention to, more so than someone who doesn't have any of these issues.

I wouldn't worry though if I were you :drinker: If you don't have a medical reason to limit it, it's good stuff & does a body REAL good.