Paleo Diet

Options
I have a quick question about this diet. I've researched it plenty and I noticed that there are a lot of people who love it just as much as others hate it. I would love to know if anyone has tried it and some feed back? I'm also doing the insanity work out and I'd love some other Insane fitness pals as support! :)
I'm on day 2. Lol. ><"

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Did it for a while, 6 months or so, realised that I thankfully didn't have any medical issues and there was no metabolic advantage in doing it so didn't have to restrict anything, back on the bread, legumes, etc, doing just fine, progress is good.

I have a Grok t-shirt for sale too. :)
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    everyone is different of course, and I had to try many "diets" to fit me...I have been on the Paleo lifestyle, as I don't consider it a diet, for 10 months now, I never feel gross or bloated, acne gone, lots of energy and my BF% has gone down from 20% to 16% , some say that's too low, my doctor does, I love it, it works for me, the first few weeks were tough of course, getting used to lower carb, but higher fat foods. Only downfall is ALOT of preparing and cooking...as everything is whole foods, nothing packaged
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    it's a great gateway to removing the rubbish from the diet and learning how to prepare food from scratch.
    I've gone from there to dropping dairy, then meat too!
  • patentguru
    patentguru Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I eat pretty close to paleo (natural is closer). I avoid highly processed foods and try to eat raw when possible. Not always possible, especially when travelling. When travelling I go low carb to avoid overeating (carbs make me very hungry and difficult to control total calories eaten). I especially avoid processed flour, french fries, white rice, which make me sluggish. I feel more energetic when I eat clean (lots of raw veggies and meat, fish) and it easier to maintain low body fat.
  • patentguru
    Options
    everyone is different of course, and I had to try many "diets" to fit me...I have been on the Paleo lifestyle, as I don't consider it a diet, for 10 months now, I never feel gross or bloated, acne gone, lots of energy and my BF% has gone down from 20% to 16% , some say that's too low, my doctor does, I love it, it works for me, the first few weeks were tough of course, getting used to lower carb, but higher fat foods. Only downfall is ALOT of preparing and cooking...as everything is whole foods, nothing packaged

I have had similar results eating clean. When in a hurry- dump all of the fresh veggies you want into the blender and slam them down. When not in a hurry, this is a good meal plan. When I have time like watching a movie- I make a giant clean salad and graze on it throughout the movie. Veggies also taste better without the highly processed foods in the diet.
  • ElmiMN
    ElmiMN Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you all for your input! I'm a complete newbie. So I'm starting off slow. I appreciate all the responses. :)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If you need structure it would probably be a good plan to follow. I personally prefer a Sonoma/IIFYM hybrid because I'm not a fan of restricting food groups. My brother and sister-in-law tried paleo but didn't stick to it for more than a month (SIL is a general healthy eater and bro will eat whatever she puts on the table plus wherever the boys at work want to go for lunch). I'd say given the amount of successful stories I don't see the harm in trying it
  • MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    There's a Paleo group forum on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/869-paleo

You can probably find some Friends there.
  • toholio
    toholio Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I usually eat paleo. There's nothing magic about it but it works for me because it eliminates the things I binge on most.

Just be aware that there are annoying people who believe the objective is a literal recreation of what cavemen ate. The ones who believe this in support of paleo are only slightly less annoying than the ones who believe this in criticism of paleo.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Just be aware that there are annoying people who believe the objective is a literal recreation of what cavemen ate. The ones who believe this in support of paleo are only slightly less annoying than the ones who believe this in criticism of paleo.

rofl I know what you mean. Some people get massively obsessive about it, there are loads of blogs where it's like ... really?

OP, take everything you read with a grain of salt and make up your own mind about what suits your body best. I'm a fan, its the only 'radical' food plan I've tried that I've actually liked & stuck to.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The problem I had from a paleo type diet was it sent my cholesterol through the roof. Also its my opinion now that unless you have inflammatory issues there is no need to exclude groups of foods from your diet. The law of thermodynamics and all that jazz is far my important
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've been eating this way for a little over a year. I'm not interested in what cavemen ate or any of that nonsense, and I don't agree with a lot of the info or the attitudes that are a rather unfortunate part of the paleo community. I have food intolerances and a couple of health issues I've found to be greatly helped by eating this way. I'm quite happy eating as I do, and have lost 70 lbs over the past year.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the Paleo movement, but don't really think anything should be forbidden. Sure, I choose not to have certain foods, but I don't forbid them. I like the idea of it, but not sure I could be that strict.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I came across Primal via http://www.marksdailyapple.com
    I never got on well with certain carbs in particular white pasta, white rice, white bread. It wreaks havoc with my energy levels. I often fall asleep within 10 mins of eating pasta etc. Eliminating (or occasionally finding better substitutes) made me feel better. I also limit sugar other than from fruit sources, which again helped me having more sustained energy levels rather than yoyoing.

I wouldn't talk anyone into or out of anything just because it works for me. I would just say "try it you might like it". :flowerforyou:
  • coopmoe
    coopmoe Posts: 4
    Options
    Go for it! As others have said, if it works for you then awesome! There's also keto, cyclical keto, slow carb options if you feel like you would need certain allowances keto doesn't provide (they're all pretty similar with subtle differences between them from what I can tell). Just make sure you eat ENOUGH. Many carbohydrates that you're used to eating are much more calorically dense than what you'll be eating on Paleo (though you do get sweet potatoes, I suppose)
  • mistertug
    Options
    I tried it after reading about it, mostly because it sounded pretty close to how I eat when I'm trying to eat healthy anyway. I discovered that I'm probably gluten intolerant after all these issues I was having went away when I stopped eating gluten. So after a month, I decided it was effective, but not for me.
  • patentguru
    Options
    I came across Primal via http://www.marksdailyapple.com
    I never got on well with certain carbs in particular white pasta, white rice, white bread. It wreaks havoc with my energy levels. I often fall asleep within 10 mins of eating pasta etc. Eliminating (or occasionally finding better substitutes) made me feel better. I also limit sugar other than from fruit sources, which again helped me having more sustained energy levels rather than yoyoing.

I wouldn't talk anyone into or out of anything just because it works for me. I would just say "try it you might like it". :flowerforyou:

I get the same results from the high glycemic carbs (flour, rice, sugar)-asleep within 10 minutes after eating unless I am doing cardio. Thus, I try to only eat the high glycemic carbs right before or doing cardio (biking, running, etc. )
  • elephant_in_the_room
    elephant_in_the_room Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I get the same results from the high glycemic carbs (flour, rice, sugar)-asleep within 10 minutes after eating unless I am doing cardio. Thus, I try to only eat the high glycemic carbs right before or doing cardio (biking, running, etc. )

Your profile picture is you with a bike, that's great.
    The one day I had to cycle 200km while having only trained running I knew 70k into it that I needed white bread or cake like nothing. Only carbs got me through it.

Kids love sugar for a reason, they are growing....