working out in the morning

Options
I've always heard that working out in the morning gets your metabolism going for the day and you burn more calories during the day. Fact or crap? Just wondering...

Replies

• lisa1653
    Options
    Great question. I am on my stationary bike right now - awaiting the answer!! Lol. Have a good day.
  • sub10orbust
    sub10orbust Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    just do it and let me know when u find out
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    In for the responses.
  • running_shoe
    running_shoe Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    My doc, physiotherapist, and massage therapist all believe this. Not sure how you prove it... but, works for me, I feel best working out first thing in the morning.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that working out in the morning gets your metabolism going for the day and you burn more calories during the day. Fact or crap? Just wondering...

Crap. Workout anytime you wish. You will however burn more calories the longer you workout. So like instad of working 3 times a day, 15 minutes each with hours break in between, you will burn more if you work 45 minutes straight.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I’m not saying that all those things are true but I noticed a big difference when I switched from working out in the afternoons to mornings.

More alert during the day. Not as hungry. Sleep better.

But I’m sure it’s not the same for everyone.
  • Annie_R
    Annie_R Posts: 18 Member
    Options

I don't know, but I do know that you have to enjoy what you're doing if you want to continue doing it, and you need to do it at a time that is most convenient and suitable for you. Otherwise it just won't continue to happen. For myself, I'm a morning person and it suits me working out before I go to work. Every weekday morning, I'm up at 4.30am, at the gym by 5am for an 1.25hr workout, then I'm at work for 8am start. I could never do it after work, that's just not me, it's not something I would keep up regardless of how many calories it may or may not burn.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I’m not saying that all those things are true but I noticed a big difference when I switched from working out in the afternoons to mornings.

It's not. My body can handle a run in the morning (6:30) but not strength. I get headaches. I can get up early to do things, (5am is a nice time to do taxes) but not excercise. It drains me for my day.

After forcing myself for years to be a morning excerciser because most people perfer it, I realized it's perfectly fine for me to do my strength at 10pm.

So the trick is trying different times of day and finding the one your body responds to. Everyone is different.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't worry about any metabolism boost. If you do weights in the morning that will help the metabolism by building more muscle over time (emphasis on time... won't see it same day). Muscle burns more calories in general to sustain themselves.

If it's cardio in the morning I only count on the calories that my HRM tells me I burned directly. I believe that any lasting metabolism increase from cardio lasts only as long as it takes for the muscles to recuperate. Perahps a couple hours. I find that I can break a sweat "easier" doing any little thing for about 2 hours after a good run. Then all is back to normal. Basically, you only burn calories running because your heart works harder and is increasing the blood flow to get oxygen to the muscles faster so they can continue to operate. Once that increased flow subsides any increased calorie burn also subsides.

So if there is any lasting "boost" it is rather minimal. Probably less than a serving of yogurt. Personally I would just count the calories burned directly from the workout, and if there happens to be anything more that I don't know about (there is lots I don't know about:) I would just be grateful for the bonus:happy:
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options

That is one of the great things about a morning workout. It isn't the same process that is responsible for a metabolism increase though. Well, not the same process beyond the blood flow. The increased blood flow carries oxygen to the muscles for the metabolism, but it also carries other chemicals (ahh...natural drugs) that "warm up" your central nervous system. Similar reaction to what you notice after your morning coffee. So the feeling of alertness just happens to coincide with the increased metabolism. Which is cool too.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I currently am doing insanity programme at 6am cos that suits my schedule. 6 days a week and am on month 2 so that's 1 hour of HIIT at six am. I do intermittent fasting leangains.com style so only eat from 1pm to 9pm, staying within my cals of course. if you had told me a few months ago that i would be working out on an empty stomach and not eating til six hours after i finish my workout I would have laughed in your face and told you that i needed to eat before a workout, and eat after to 'replenish' my body. I only started the intermittent fasting about three weeks ago and it is the best thing. i am full of energy in the morning, on exercise or rest days and get to eat much higher cal meals now that i eat twice a day. for the record I used insanitys eating guide for the first few weeks, eating five small meals a day, and even had a protein shake after my workout. i was hungry all the time and never felt satisfied by my 'meals' which, to be fair, are more snack sized at 200 -300 cals.

working out in the morning makes so much sense, there is no time to make up excuses. Roll out of bed and into your workout gear and by the time yo have fully woken up you are doing jumping jacks..... ;)
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options

That is one of the great things about a morning workout. It isn't the same process that is responsible for a metabolism increase though. Well, not the same process beyond the blood flow. The increased blood flow carries oxygen to the muscles for the metabolism, but it also carries other chemicals (ahh...natural drugs) that "warm up" your central nervous system. Similar reaction to what you notice after your morning coffee. So the feeling of alertness just happens to coincide with the increased metabolism. Which is cool too.

Thanks for explaining why it made a difference, it all makes sense now. Haha. :] It's weird how you mentioned coffee because since switching to morning workouts I only need one cup of coffee instead of three. Thanks endorphin's!
  • queenmolly68
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. I agree that you need to get your workout in when it is convenient to you, or you won't do it. I have noticed that I have more energy during the day when I do my cardio in the morning. Another interesting thing I have noticed is my pulse does seem to be higher throughout the day when I do my cardio early. I monitor my blood pressure several times a day because I'm being extra cautious right now (with being pregnant.) When I workout in the morning my pulse is about 10 beats higher per minute than when I don't. That's got to count for something.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I run, so I do mine in the morning. Mainly because running later in the day sucks as I hate running in heat. Plus, I like watching the sun come up. Doing it early morning also frees up the rest of my day, I dont't have to worry about when I am going to try and get it done as I have already done it :laugh:
  • spottedkathy
    spottedkathy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    When you work out first thing you are burning your actual fat versus working out later and burning off calories you eat. I work out first thing in the morning because for one it is OVER with and the other I feel like I have better weight loss.
  • sgk0411
    sgk0411 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the morning because if I don't wake up, it will never happen. I have a crazy almost 3 year old.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

Same here. I feel better and am not really hungry after working out.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Just do what works for you.
  • loriepaulin
    loriepaulin Posts: 88 Member
    Options

This is the same for me. I typically do HIIT training in the morning and there is research that goes to show metabolic training such as HIIT can keep your metabolism burning for hours after versus just cardio which does not create an afterburn effect.
    For me it's just personal preference to do it in the morning bc I feel the same way she does. I feel more alert when I work out in the morning then when I don't. I do believe it does help jump start your metabolism with whatever exercise you do in the morning whether it be HIIT(High Intensity Interval Training), Running, or anything else. http://pinterest.com/fittabulous/fabulous-hiit-workouts/

Good article- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2267548/Why-exercise-BEFORE-breakfast--youll-burn-20-cent-body-fat.html
  • ELCABRA
    ELCABRA Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I know i workout in the am so i am sure to get it in and there is no chance of skipping due to the day getting away from me with the fam and work....