Measuring Cups

Options
Hello,

I have a question. I was wondering if the measuring cups at the dollar store are as accurate as any other measuring cups. I was reading online (I know you can't trust everything you read on the net). They say that since those types of measuring cups are made in China, they don't measure accuracy. I don't know. I just need a new set, and was wondering if the ones at the dollar store are as reliable.

Thank you :)

Replies

• Looking2blittler
    Looking2blittler Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hey - I found a complete set of measuring cups and measuring spoons at Walmart for less than 5 bucks....And Made in America....LOl/// now I have to find a kitchen scale.....
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Liquid measuring cups (usually see-through) and dry measuring cups (usually opaque plastic or stainless steel) measure slightly differently, but that's the way it's supposed to be. For me, it's not a problem. I use dry measures to measure my food and almond milk. If you're making a recipe, however, it could cause a slight difference in the outcome of the product. I've never heard of the ones made in China being inaccurate, but I wouldn't be surprised. For my needs it wouldn't matter if they're off a little.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups should really only be used for measuring liquids... get a kitchen scale for any food for accuracy.

The measuring cups at the dollar store are fine. I have some. You can get them for 2-5 at places like walmart or target as well.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Hey - I found a complete set of measuring cups and measuring spoons at Walmart for less than 5 bucks....And Made in America....LOl/// now I have to find a kitchen scale.....

My mom just picked up an awesome new food scale on a clearance rack at Walmart for $8
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I would for sure spend the money a go for a food scale. You will be amazed at the difference of a measuring cup/spoons compared to scales on some items!
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your wonderful help :)
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I bought my Measuring cups at Walmart.

Also bought a diet scale for $11.00 and works great, I use it all of the time.
    It measures in Ounces and Grams.
  • fougamou
    fougamou Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    SO for everyone recommending scales over measuring cups --- what do you do about recipes? All my recipes (and most of the entries in MFP are by volume, not weight.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    SO for everyone recommending scales over measuring cups --- what do you do about recipes? All my recipes (and most of the entries in MFP are by volume, not weight.

Great question! I'm wondering that as well.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    You would be more accurate with a set of volumetric flasks than measuring cups.

Volumetric+flask.jpg

If your going to use a food scale don't forget to calibrate it as well!

89002962-1h.jpg

Or I mean you could live your life loose and just accept a certain amount of inaccuracy.
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options

It's going to take some work but look up online what the volume measurements should weight. This link has some for flour at the bottom of the page.

http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2009/07/16/volume-weight-baking-why-should-weigh-ingredients/
  • jakedner
    jakedner Posts: 186 Member
    Options

I found a set of cups and spoons at Walmart on clearance for 88 cents. I compared them to my existing cups and spoons (which includes a few old Tupperware cups) and they were accurate with the mismatched sets I currently have.

The scale is really the most accurate way to measure your food though.

edited for spelling
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of recipes (and MFP entries) in weight - you have probably just always pikced the volume because thet's what you're used to (like a cup of pasta rather than 75g). Most online recipe sites based in the US offer metric conversion, all UK sites (such as BBCgoodfood.co.uk) will automatically offer metric and (UK)imperial measures. If you google "US volume conversion chart" or similar you should come up with a good guideline - that's what I did when I started using US recipes and needed metric measurements.

I couldn't manage without scales. I have measuring cups (a relic from my Pampered Chef days!) but really only use them for US breadmaker recipes.
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    When recipes call for cups say 1.5 cups of flour I find what one cup of flour weighs (by measuring it myself each time) and then add another half of what it weighed.
    It's much easier for baking etc to use grams as you need more accuracy.
  • _crafty_
    _crafty_ Posts: 1,682 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups should really only be used for measuring liquids... get a kitchen scale for any food for accuracy.

No. there is no logic here since you can use your food scale to measure ounces as well.

Measuring cups and spoons are quite necessary when cooking and baking.
  • cacklingcat
    cacklingcat Posts: 150 Member
    Options

You can look up conversion charts for this online :drinker:
  • cb83580
    cb83580 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Look at the nutrition label on the package. Things like flour, sugar, etc. list the serving in grams and volume measure. You usually have to do a little math. Sugars tend to be listed in teaspoons for serving size, so you need to know how many teaspoons are in 1/4, 1/2 cup, etc. then figure out how many of the given serving sizes you need for whatever measurement you need and convert the gram measurement to that. It sounds more complicated writing it out than it really is.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

No. there is no logic here since you can use your food scale to measure ounces as well.

Measuring cups and spoons are quite necessary when cooking and baking.

A food scale is essential for accuracy when counting food calories. Food scales measure ounces because of things like meat, which are normally listed as oz a serving... dry pasta has an oz listing and a grams listing normally. A measuring cup or spoon is a LIQUID measure. There are measurements for ounces by weight or ounces by volume (normally with liquids). Ounces by weight don't always equal ounces by volume. 1 cup is equal to 8 fluid ounces, but a cup of say flour may not equal 8 ounces.

My oatmeal for example is 1/3 cup as a serving which is also listed as I believe 35 grams. When I weight out that 1/3 cup of oatmeal it weights over 40 grams.

My one level scoop of protein powder weighs more than what it should based on the label.

My serving of serving based on the measuring cup amount weighs more than it should. A few things a day that are counted as less than they should be can really add up.

Using measuring cups or spoons for food is not accurate which is where the kitchen scale comes in. There are a lot of recipes out there that have measurements listed as grams. Sure, some will have it in cups or tbsp., tsp, etc however that can easily be changed to grams.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I use standard measuring cups and spoons for baking, etc. Dry measuring cups for flour, etc and liquid cups for liquid. I use the scale for weighing things like pasta, meats, cereals for more accuracy when cooking individual items.